Info: Steering gearbox - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
pdieckhaus
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Steering gearbox

I have reviewed almost all the threads and subjects on this and can't seem to find anyone posting something like this. I just had my steering gearbox replaced with a remanufactured one by Autozone. A very good friend of mine is a mechanic and does work on the side, so he knows well what he's doing. He has never seen this before, hoping others have and have some idea what's going on. Steering left does great, actually I have never seen it steer so easy but turning right is hard, very noticeably harder than left . I replaced the gearbox because it was leaking badly. Anyone have any ideas? Do i have a bad gearbox new from Az? Is there something else that needs replacing? Thank you!

Pulls 16' 2-axle Utility Trailer for Yard Work.
Camping-2001 Jayco Eagle 266 Travel Trailer
Reese 1000#lb Round Bar WD, Reese Friction Sway Control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
mwicard
Diesel Fanatic

Your box was probably rebuilt by an 8 year old kid in Mexico. Buy a red head gear box. You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
labmouselb7
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to labmouselb7

same here, You have a bad box

tow a 38 ft. 5th wheel around 14k.lbs.
ASE Certified Master tech.
been around Duramax for over 4 Years
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
SLT223
Diesel Master

Ha! Mine does the same thing and it's the original factory GM box. What a POS! I thought it was worn out front end parts, but everything it tight.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

If this problem wasn't there before replacing the gear box, then it is the gear box. Just one question though, was the new box properly bled of air?
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
LA DMAX
Diesel Master

Two words: Lee Manufacturing.

LA DMAX
Toyo M55's 255/85 16 on PYO's
Fox 2.0 shocks piggybacked
Eric's pump rub fix

2007 KTM 250 XC-W
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
labmouselb7
Diesel Technician

Send a message via Yahoo to labmouselb7

probably had better luck replacing the seals Your self. If You where to take it apart, pretty sure You would find a stuck or worn shuddle valve. not sure the proper terminoligy, but this directs the pressure to turn the wheels left or right. this will also usually cause a pull one way or the other.
there is also a possibility that the pitman arm is indexed wrong but this would be rare with a Qualified Mechanic. it does happen to all of Us at times

tow a 38 ft. 5th wheel around 14k.lbs.
ASE Certified Master tech.
been around Duramax for over 4 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.