Noise when turning steering wheel - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
careytst
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to careytst

Noise when turning steering wheel

Lately I have noticed a noise like a whine when turning the steering wheel. At first I thought it was a bad bearing, but now I'm not sure. Could it possibly be like air getting into the power steering system when turning the wheel. It does not do this all the time. I do know that the power braking system and the steering system are on the same supply resevior, but as I understand it you are not supposed to add fluid to the resevoir.
02 2500HD LT/ CC/ SB/ Alison 1000/ 6.6L DMAX/ Predator/ Banks Monster Exhaust/ Banks Exhust Brake/ Stock Wheels & Tires/ DropIn K&N/ Smitybilt Side Bars/ SuperGlide 5th Hitch/ Digital Readout Backup System/ PowerVision Mirrors/ ISSPRO Guages on "A" Pillar Mount..Boost-EGT-Oil Temp/ Backup Camera System On 5th Wheel Trailer/ Magellan GPS System / BakFlip Tonneau Cover/.................................................. I lOVE MY TRUCK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jnasty
Diesel Technician

I bet the power steering fluid is low.The 2 ps pressure hoses are known to leak.Thats probably where it went.
05 GMC SLT.Bought new 11/04. 38x15.5x20 toyos on 10 in monsters.Full throttle 9.5 lift.5 in stack with a mbrp 4 inch stainless pipe and a 4 in ATS down-pipe.A5k turbo with ATS manifolds n up-pipes.CAC is a Banks with 3 inch boost tubes.3 in y bridge.Injectors are 40% over. Ported heads with So-Cal spring kit and ARP head studs and C head gaskets.FPRV shimmed with a PPE kit.Trans has an ATS 5 clutch converter loosened up to 2200 and a co-pilot wih a Gmax kit.Assembled by Diesel addiction.So Cal flexplate and balancer.Tapshifter from fleece.EFI live,Dsp5 and tuning by DUSTIN AT DIESEL ADDICTION.Air dog 150.Merchant trans brace,PPE dual fueler,ported rail fittings.D/A Motors being built right now.Dyno 3-3-12 720hp,1186tq 11.8 @114 w 1.6 60

2005 GMC slt 4x4 Dirty on 22s and lowered.LMM mouthpiece EFI MBRP 4 in ex.No egr or cooler
2003 3500 reg cab short bed 4x4 race truck project under construction
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
billdunn83
Diesel Fanatic

yeah mine is leaking now. ordering the lines today from rock auto. they are only twenty some dollars a piece.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 5" lift all custom suspension, axles swaps, gears, lockers, 35" MTR Kevelars, bilstien 7100's up front 5100's in the back, tons of armor, lots of other little mods.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jnasty
Diesel Technician

I bought mine from o rielly auto dont buy yours there.Mine are leaking again and i warrantied them once already
05 GMC SLT.Bought new 11/04. 38x15.5x20 toyos on 10 in monsters.Full throttle 9.5 lift.5 in stack with a mbrp 4 inch stainless pipe and a 4 in ATS down-pipe.A5k turbo with ATS manifolds n up-pipes.CAC is a Banks with 3 inch boost tubes.3 in y bridge.Injectors are 40% over. Ported heads with So-Cal spring kit and ARP head studs and C head gaskets.FPRV shimmed with a PPE kit.Trans has an ATS 5 clutch converter loosened up to 2200 and a co-pilot wih a Gmax kit.Assembled by Diesel addiction.So Cal flexplate and balancer.Tapshifter from fleece.EFI live,Dsp5 and tuning by DUSTIN AT DIESEL ADDICTION.Air dog 150.Merchant trans brace,PPE dual fueler,ported rail fittings.D/A Motors being built right now.Dyno 3-3-12 720hp,1186tq 11.8 @114 w 1.6 60

2005 GMC slt 4x4 Dirty on 22s and lowered.LMM mouthpiece EFI MBRP 4 in ex.No egr or cooler
2003 3500 reg cab short bed 4x4 race truck project under construction
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
91RS
Diesel Head

You can absolutly add power steering fluid if its low. If it is, add some and see if your noise goes away.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
johny5s
Diesel Enthusiast

This is the worst thing possible for the pump. If the pump goes dry, it only takes 10 seconds to melt the pump if it goes into pressure relief. Once a noise is present the pump generally does not last long. The pump on the your vehicle is a beast though and relatively unchanged for the last 50 years.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
careytst
Diesel Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to careytst

Thanks guys
02 2500HD LT/ CC/ SB/ Alison 1000/ 6.6L DMAX/ Predator/ Banks Monster Exhaust/ Banks Exhust Brake/ Stock Wheels & Tires/ DropIn K&N/ Smitybilt Side Bars/ SuperGlide 5th Hitch/ Digital Readout Backup System/ PowerVision Mirrors/ ISSPRO Guages on "A" Pillar Mount..Boost-EGT-Oil Temp/ Backup Camera System On 5th Wheel Trailer/ Magellan GPS System / BakFlip Tonneau Cover/.................................................. I lOVE MY TRUCK
Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
tompat2
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Not so fast guys, there is a thread here somewhere that says a complete flush of the fluid will bring life back to the system. You will need to search for it, so I can't as I'm on my cell phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.