Rear Brakes Wearing quick 08 LMM - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sheeper
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rear Brakes Wearing quick 08 LMM

About 40k ago i thought my front brakes had wore out, i looked and they had 90% on them , just fo r the heck of it i checked the rears and they were wore out and i heard from GM that the rear rotors were warped ....apparently an issue

Yesterday i hit 100k and heard a bit of metal to metal grinding on the final 4 feet of stopping, so i pulled the front tires off again, checked 90% left on the pads.... thought it might be a unit bearing, but spun it and didnt hear anything......

I listened a bit around town and really sounded like it was coming from the rear again...... i will pull them off today to check but remembering what happened last time......
Is it common for the LMM's to go through rear brakes quicker then fronts?

I dont tow a whole lot but i've been running 35's for 95k and just went to 37's .......

I couldnt find a thread on Rear Brake wear

*6" Pro Comp Lift
*37" Nitto Tera grapplers
*18" KMC Bandlander XD Series Bronze wheels
*Edge CTS, Quadzilla Stealth 2
*Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust NO DPF!
*AFE Intake Stage 2

*Kleinn "BEAST" Train Hornes W/Blastmaster
*Kleinn Onboard Air with Tank (Yes im a menace)

*N-Fab Cab Length Nerf Bars

*Kenwood 7160 DvD Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

The backs usually go about 10k miles before the front, in my fleet of LMMs, IF you take the time to inspect and clean them up at intervals, which, here, is once a year. It sounds as if you have binding problems the whole way around, or, when the lines were extended for your lift, that the system wasn't properly bled, and you have air in the front lines.

Guys that tow here see 50k rear, 60k front, and the guys who don't see 90k rear and 100k front, on average.

I wrote up the inspection and repair for the rears here http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...310&highlight=

Summary....
4 corner inspection and cleanup on the "moving" parts
If that goes well (no issues found), then you need an "automated brake bleed procedure" performed by your friendly neighborhood GM dealer. Another tattletale sign of air in the system, is to activate the ABS in a gravel lot at 10 mph. The pedal should shake and dance during ABS activation, but, it should not drop more than a 1/4", and the normal pedal feel will not have changed after the activation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 09-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sheeper
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
The backs usually go about 10k miles before the front, in my fleet of LMMs, IF you take the time to inspect and clean them up at intervals, which, here, is once a year. It sounds as if you have binding problems the whole way around, or, when the lines were extended for your lift, that the system wasn't properly bled, and you have air in the front lines.

Guys that tow here see 50k rear, 60k front, and the guys who don't see 90k rear and 100k front, on average.

I wrote up the inspection and repair for the rears here http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...310&highlight=

Summary....
4 corner inspection and cleanup on the "moving" parts
If that goes well (no issues found), then you need an "automated brake bleed procedure" performed by your friendly neighborhood GM dealer. Another tattletale sign of air in the system, is to activate the ABS in a gravel lot at 10 mph. The pedal should shake and dance during ABS activation, but, it should not drop more than a 1/4", and the normal pedal feel will not have changed after the activation.

Thanks for the info, the lift kit was put on at 6 miles , so its been on there the life of the truck , i've never had stopping issues, but i will check for any binding , ive just heard that "Daily stop and go" the rear breaks get used instead of the front

*6" Pro Comp Lift
*37" Nitto Tera grapplers
*18" KMC Bandlander XD Series Bronze wheels
*Edge CTS, Quadzilla Stealth 2
*Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust NO DPF!
*AFE Intake Stage 2

*Kleinn "BEAST" Train Hornes W/Blastmaster
*Kleinn Onboard Air with Tank (Yes im a menace)

*N-Fab Cab Length Nerf Bars

*Kenwood 7160 DvD Player
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement