Diesel Place banner

Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, idler arm bracket

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tompat2 
#1 ·
Any help on replacing my idler arm, pitman arm, and idler arm bracket. 2007 lbz Thanks

#4 ·
I have bought parts from merchant from the past and have had great luck with them an their service. so this is aimed directly at cognito and their support kit.

This kit is a complete waste of money in my opinion. I have the kit and absolutely hate it. The brace for the idler arm hits the frame and this morning my pitman arm brace broke. like completely broke and fell off. I dont even off road my truck at all. I do use 4x4 from time to time when needed but nothing too serious. Also the nuts that come in this kit will not stay tight. I had 1 nut fall off previous then ordered the 20$ replacement from cognito and used red locktite to keep it in place. well it has fallen off now. which dont really matter because the brace is completely broke and nowhere to be found.

i'm sure these things have a warranty but i would not want a replacement even if they offered it. the 225$ i paid for them would be nice to have though. :rolleyes:

I think the idler support and the weld in brace will help. but these crap 1/8" thick metal braces are worthless. I know several swear by them but not me. In my opinion they are junk!!

#5 ·
It's always good to hear customer feedback. All honesty that's the first major issues I’ve personally hears about with the supports.
I know some people have had to do some clearance work but that's been about the extent of the poor reviews I’ve heard. Thanks for the input!

#6 ·
check out what I'm running it fixes the cantilever effect you get and re directs the pressure in to the center link. this set up doe snot rotate at all and there is at custom idler arm brace that is way beefyer than the others I have seen.

#11 ·
check out what I'm running it fixes the cantilever effect you get and re directs the pressure in to the center link. this set up doe snot rotate at all and there is at custom idler arm brace that is way beefyer than the others I have seen.
Hate to break it to ya but you will still get rotation in the centerlink with that setup unless you tie rods are perfectly flat. There is no steering setup out there accept for the straight centerlinks that use factory inner tie rods that do not induce rotation into the idler/pitman arm.

#7 ·
thats a nice kit. i bet the price tag is just as nice. i have lifetime moog idler and pitman arms. i think i am just going to go back with the moog tie rods and sleeves as well. that way i can just change them out as they break without much effort

#9 ·
How does it work for maneuvering in tight areas at low speeds?
We’ve used some billet center links and they are a good stout piece but the truck won’t maneuver in a parking lot to save it’s life + eats tires in a daily driver application. They’re stout, just more for a pulling/drag racing setting. If these don’t have that characteristic you’re onto something!

#10 ·
I have no loss in steering and I don's eat tires I have have been running this kit since July and I love it. I stepped out on a limb when I bought this and I am really glad I did. Quite a few D-max guys have driven it and really like it.

#12 · (Edited)
Hm. Welded steering parts around here = illegal. I'm glad you found a solution to your problems, "Midwest Mafia" but it wouldn't be allowed here. Just like the Cognito kit - welds and heims on steering = illegal x2 here too (believe me, I've gone through it...) That's why I put the exaxt kit on my truck (oddly spherical joints are allowed).

Also, I'm been thinking about the Cognito stuff - unless your frame mounts are in perfect alignment AND the heims are adjusted correctly, then they will fight each other and something will eventually have to give. Your issues may not be so much a problem with the Cognito (which many people seem to like), as a problem somewhere else in the truck's front end.

Edit: I'm looking closely at your pictures now: is there a crack right across from your centerlink mount for your steering stabilizer, on your crossmember? If it is, then there's definitely something else going on in your front end.

--Rob

#13 ·
Hm. Welded steering parts around here = illegal. I'm glad you found a solution to your problems, "Midwest Mafia" but it wouldn't be allowed here. Just like the Cognito kit - welds and heims on steering = illegal x2 here too (believe me, I've gone through it...) That's why I put the exaxt kit on my truck (oddly spherical joints are allowed).

Also, I'm been thinking about the Cognito stuff - unless your frame mounts are in perfect alignment AND the heims are adjusted correctly, then they will fight each other and something will eventually have to give. Your issues may not be so much a problem with the Cognito (which many people seem to like), as a problem somewhere else in the truck's front end.

Edit: I'm looking closely at your pictures now: is there a crack right across from your centerlink mount for your steering stabilizer, on your crossmember? If it is, then there's definitely something else going on in your front end.

--Rob
I was going to ask the same thing- looks like it is??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.