Diesel Place banner

2011 2500 HD Bad Front end Vibration

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wreedLBZ 
#1 ·
Only have 3,500 miles on the truck and it has been to the dealer three times for this problem and others. It happens at any speed and is becoming worse and more often. Dealer says they are installing a brake kit, because the truck is automatically applying the brakes. Thoughts....anyone else with this issue?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Most likely brake pedal needs adjustment.

#5 ·
let the dealer deal with it! dont stress or waste time

#6 ·
I have a 2011 2500 HD Duramax 4WD. It get an occational bad wheel shake(shimmy). It seems to happen between 55 and 65 mph. The road seems to start it then it builds to the point that I must brake, and when I do, all hell breaks out out and the front enn feels like it coming aprt or the wheel is falling off. Had it in three times also...they can't find anything wrong. I have found out that these trucks do not have steering stabilizers and they do not have one for it. I think I am going to complain to the national level. I love the truck, but this problem in a $50K + truck sucks! We need to pass this around.

#7 ·
I have a 2011 2500 HD Duramax 4WD. It get an occational bad wheel shake(shimmy). It seems to happen between 55 and 65 mph. The road seems to start it then it builds to the point that I must brake, and when I do, all hell breaks out out and the front enn feels like it coming aprt or the wheel is falling off. Had it in three times also...they can't find anything wrong. I have found out that these trucks do not have steering stabilizers and they do not have one for it. I think I am going to complain to the national level. I love the truck, but this problem in a $50K + truck sucks! We need to pass this around.

Brake Pulsation or Vibration

A brake pulsation or drag, or a vibration felt in the steering wheel, may be noticed on some 2011 Silverado and Sierra models. This condition can be intermittent and may occur even when the brakes are not applied, usually during longer drives.

The brake pedal pivot joint may cause the brake pedal to keep a small amount of pressure in the brake system. Use the following procedure to isolate the brake pedal from the booster to identify the source of the brake drag.

1. Lift the truck on a hoist with the wheels off the ground
2. With the engine running, apply the brakes
3. Release the brake and check for brake drag by spinning the wheels (the condition is usually detected on the front wheels)
4. If brake drag is detected, pull up on the brake pedal
5. Check for drag again. If pulling up on the brake pedal resolves the condition, continue to perform the next steps. If it does not, follow the Service Information (SI) diagnostics
6. Remove the brake pedal rod from the pedal
7. Remove the brake switch from the rod
8. With the engine running, apply pressure to the flat area of the input rod against the brake pedal pin leading edge
9. Evaluate for brake drag at the wheels
10. If brake drag is identified, pull up on the pedal and re-evaluate
11. If the brake drag is eliminated, inspect for any components or harnesses contacting the brake pedal. If nothing is identified, replace the brake pedal with the WPC brake pedal kit
12. If the brake drag is not eliminated, follow SI diagnostics

Refer to PIT5037 for part number information and the WPC order form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.