GMC HD Suspension BOUNCE (expansion joints) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. First through fourth generation.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
rustie
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

GMC HD Suspension BOUNCE (expansion joints)

Has anyone else tried the fix from GM for the absolutely [email protected]@ked up ride the 2500 has over freeway expansion joints?

The "Sulastic Suspension" mod to the rear mount of the axle springs doesn't even come close to helping.

I live in the Thousand Oaks SoCal area and travel the 101 Freeway through Camarillo quite often. It has got to be the MOST eye-tooth jarring ride in history....and that's only at 70mph. IF you even have the balls (left) at 80mph, more power to you! This is the KNOWN bad section of the 101 Frwy from the Conejo Grade, all the way to the Ventura Bend (about 8 miles or so).

GM's fix is to replace only the two rear BODY MOUNTS between the cab and chassis. It's NOT a warranty replacement...although it damn well should be. Luckily, it's only $200 (for parts only).

It's listed as:

""GM Campaign #PIT3009J: Suspension Vibration Or Frame Beaming At 40-60 MPH (64-80KM/H) - keywords front rear shake shock spring tire - (Sept 18,2008)""

Condition/Concern:

Beam shake vibration is usually felt and occurring at speeds between 40-50 mph (64-80 km/h). Hertz readings using an EVA tool are normally bewtween 8-24 HZ. This condition is most common on extended cab and crew cab models but has also been noted in other models.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The severity of the beam shake may vary from vehicle to vehicle. To determine if the concern is beam shake, please perform the following:

1. Test drive vehicle to confirm the condition. A beam shake condition will usually respond to concrete type pavements more than asphalt, so the vehicle should be driven over both surfaces if possible.

2. Place 200-500 pounds in the pickup bed between the closed tailgate and the wheel wells. A beaming condition should dissipate.

-----------

If the concern is determined to be beam shake, this a characteristic of the vehicle. GM Engineering has released updated body mounts to reduce this concern for the Crew and Extended Cab Models. There will be no changes made to the Regular Cab Models.

FOR CREW AND EXTENDED CAB MODELS, REPLACE THE REAR CAB MOUNTS WITH UPDATED PARTS LISTED BELOW. THESE PARTS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON REGULAR CAB MODELS.

New upper and lower mounts should be installed at the left and right rear cab position. The new LOWER mount is a two-piece design, meaning there is a rubber mount with a metal washer. Some models may use a one piece lower mount, meaning the rubber mount has a metal washer molded into it. If the vehicle has the one-piece lower mount design, washers (PN 15854745, Qty 2) will be needed to be used with the new lower mount.

Upper Mount 25791031 Qty 2

Lower Mount 25791032 Qty 2

Washer 15854745 Qty 2 (if needed)

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and ccomplete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

END.....

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****
Moderator's Note: You can, if you like, read all 70 plus pages of this thread or if you wish to save time and read a summary of those pages, skip to post 767.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *****

Last edited by Tom S.; 09-02-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
ElCaminoManT
Diesel Nut

Send a message via AIM to ElCaminoManT

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

wow, im going to look into this. funny you mention this particular freeway, i drove it yesterday and was appauled at how bad my truck was shaking at 60mph! it absolutely beat the living crap out of me!

1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 (trail rig)
2008 Four Winds 34G Super C Moho (C5500 LMM /Allison6)
2017 Mirage UCH16 flatbed trailer
2007 American Car Dolly
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
socal2ks
Diesel Boss

I dread going up that way! I have seen other trucks buck all over the place. I think alot of it has to do with being concrete.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lastmike
Clutch

SR4 near me was the same before they polished it, its like they ground down the concrete to make it smooth. it made a huge difference but can still feel it at times. prolly just a matter of time till clatrans does that stretch too. a lot of other highways were done all over the bay area too.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
rustie
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
I dread going up that way! I have seen other trucks buck all over the place. I think alot of it has to do with being concrete.

Yes...it is because of the frwy being concrete....but most all frwys are (concrete). The real culprit is the "expansion joints" between each 20ft cast concrete section. If the joint is not completely water tight (or nearly so), the ends of each concrete slab will rise as much as an inch over it's length, causing the well noted "expansion joint hop".

The only way to smooth out an old frwy that doesn't have the latest (and MUCH better) joint seals is by shaving. They use a HUGE carbide tipped drum/wheel that completely shaves off the high points at each joint connection...making each lane smooth once again. But the seals are not changed, and it will eventually rise again (but could take another 20 years).

The latest frwys don't have the same problem....or at least it's not nearly as noticable because of the MUCH improved joint seals in use today (water cannot get under the concrete slab ends causing them to eventually lift).

The scuttlebutt is that CalTrans has NO PLANS to shave the Venture "Grade-to-Bend" frwy section. They did shave the concrete frwy section between Ventura and La Conchita. It's a verrrry smooth/pleasant drive on that section.

Last edited by rustie; 10-21-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
firemansdiesel
Clutch

The only real fix (I use that lightly) is replace the stock leafs w/ full Deaver Leafs, National, etc... w/ a shock you can valve (Fox, King, Bilstien 7100). This should minimize a lot of the expansion joint blues, but you will always feel it no matter what you do w/ a 1/2-3/4 ton trucks. The unsprung penalty weight w/ a 3/4 ton truck.

With my Dodge w/ 2.5 Kings & full Deaver Leaf Packs in the rear from Carli Suspension. It dramatically reduced the expansion joints. The minor to moderate ones my truck floats over them. W/ the more gnarly ones. I feel it, but reduced down.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
RideRed1
Diesel Head

The previous bulletin I read stated there was no action taken on the 2500/3500's. That only the 1500 is going to get a revised mount... Is this supposedly for the 2500?
Also where does it state it will not be covered under warranty?
Amp research steps
Edge Evo
Transgo Jr
4"turbo-back MBRP
Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Pro

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustie View Post
Has anyone else tried the fix from GM for the absolutely [email protected]@ked up ride the 2500 has over freeway expansion joints?

The "Sulastic Suspension" mod to the rear mount of the axle springs doesn't even come close to helping.

I live in the Thousand Oaks SoCal area and travel the 101 Freeway through Camarillo quite often. It has got to be the MOST eye-tooth jarring ride in history....and that's only at 70mph. IF you even have the balls (left) at 80mph, more power to you! This is the KNOWN bad section of the 101 Frwy from the Conejo Grade, all the way to the Ventura Bend (about 8 miles or so).

GM's fix is to replace only the two rear BODY MOUNTS between the cab and chassis. It's NOT a warranty replacement...although it damn well should be. Luckily, it's only $200 (for parts only).
IMHO another good fix would be to replace all the rubber bushings in your Rear Springs, Hangers, LCA and UCA with polyurethane. The stock rubber bushings do not flex, they twist under tension, a Polyurethane bushing will flex and allow the suspension to work because it is not molded into a sleeve and then press fitted into the bushing eyes. You also might want to replace the body mount bushings with polyurethane as well. You may get a little more vibration on a rough road but you would have less body and frame twist because they do not allow the excessive flexing between the body and frame the way rubber does. I tossed every rubber bushing out of my truck and replaced it with Polyurethane. The truck feels much more firm, vehicle control is light years better and I hardly notice the road noise or the bumps compared with having the rubber bushings in there.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
bjadamsr6
Diesel Boss

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

i know that part of freeway and drive it regularly. it sucks. i was going to do sulastics to help, but am glad i didnt because i guess it doesnt work.

SOLD
2008 Silverado 3500 SRW, D/A, CC, LB, 4X4
Nor Cal Truck Installed: Cognito 7-9
Amp Research Steps, N-Fab Pre Runner Light Bar, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, MBRP 4" Exhaust, BD Exhaust Manifold, EFI Live, Trans Go Jr.,6000k HIDs

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."

Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
ramman686
Low Boost

Try driving it with a load of liquid. Just curious, what's the air pressure in your tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in