The best way to replace idler and pitman arms - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010 Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, street suspension, air ride suspension, steering components, etc. First through fourth generation.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Z71 Grizzly
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

The best way to replace idler and pitman arms

Hi I'm going to replace my idler/pitman arms and both tie rod ends this weekend and I have the service manuals. I'd like to know from guys that have done it before what's the best way to replace the pitman/idler arms. It'll be done on a lift and I've done it on my old truck before(96 Z71). I've read to remove gearbox and also some say to remove the bottom bolts and loosen the top one. I'm installing tie rod sleeves also. Thank's, Adam
05 Silverado HD CCSB Dark Grey Metallic, . All headlight on mod Kelly Safari TSR 265/75/16, Weathertech Floorliners. Prodigy, Diamond Eye downpipe, Magnaflow 5" DP back, EFI , Airdog,DSP5, Custom tool steel sleeves. Cognito Idler/Pitman braces Some other goodies too

Old truck: 96Chevy Z71 extcb sb 4" Rancho
Old fourwheeler:03 Yamaha Grizzly660LE w/27" Bi/Tri Claws and custom snorkels. Want a Can-Am fourwheeler next maybe

"Nothing is Impossible, Some things are just harder than others"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
banshee42096
Diesel Master

Michigan Oil Burners Member

you can unbolt the gearbox from the frame and get it in a postion to put the puller on it.idler is easy self explanatory.it does get fun when installing braces though.
silverline exhaust 304.all synthetic oils.trippen overhead mount and autometer phantom gauges,tx cai mod,blocker plate,ppe hot plus 2 et (just for the economy setting),cognito hd tie rods,pitman and idlerbraces,ppe race valve thanks mcrat.new addition lbz mouthpiece mod
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z71 Grizzly
Diesel Master

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Thank's banshee. That's my next project. Making and installing a set of idler/pitman braces. Adam
05 Silverado HD CCSB Dark Grey Metallic, . All headlight on mod Kelly Safari TSR 265/75/16, Weathertech Floorliners. Prodigy, Diamond Eye downpipe, Magnaflow 5" DP back, EFI , Airdog,DSP5, Custom tool steel sleeves. Cognito Idler/Pitman braces Some other goodies too

Old truck: 96Chevy Z71 extcb sb 4" Rancho
Old fourwheeler:03 Yamaha Grizzly660LE w/27" Bi/Tri Claws and custom snorkels. Want a Can-Am fourwheeler next maybe

"Nothing is Impossible, Some things are just harder than others"
Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Curicano
Diesel Technician

Just make sure you have the pitman puller, it is a must. When i did mine i cranked on the puller until it was very tight, then i tapped the pitman arm with a hammer and it popped right off. I am sure you know not to try and hit the pitman arm off with a hammer, as it will cause damage to your gearbox. I don't know about the braces as i haven't done them. Good luck!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jeli
Diesel Master

Drop the plastic cover. Remove the idler bolts and leave attached to the center link. The outer tir rod ends pooped right out with a slight of a hammer. Unbolt the steering stabilizer from the crossmember. Unbolt the pitman from the centerlink and pop it off. Jack one wheel up so you can pivot it and give you room. It's easier for two people to pull the tie rod and center link assembly out from under the truck past the wheel you just moved.

My pitman was a pita!!! I broke the first puller. OK it was the $6.99 Harbor Freight version. The $18.00 NAPA one held. I did unbolt the steering box from the frame. Not as bad as I thought.

Install the pitman arm, steering box, and idler assembly on the truck. Get your center link redone. Have someone help you feed it back under the truck and get it on the pitman and idler studs.

Cooperation: Doing what I ask you to do and quickly.

Brotherhood of Handshakers Club #32
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
barry1me
Diesel Technician

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Jeli great info!

Do you have to disconect the steering shaft from the gear box? Also did you tighten the puller on the pitman arm then hit it with the hammer to pop it off? Where on the pitman arm do you hit it with the hammer?

2005 GMC SLT CCSB 4x4 LLY
6" fabtech 315/75/16 Cooper STT's
4" MBRP exhaust, EGR cooler blocker Race valve
Cognito braces & fabtech HD tierods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.