Power steering Cooler? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
chitsngiggles
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Power steering Cooler?

First I used the search function.My question is can a Power steering Cooler be added to a 06 LBZ?If so, how was it done?Did the early Dmaxes come with a PS cooler?
2006 LBZ DURAMAX, Metalic blue, Crewcab Short box LT,4X4.Torsion leveled with 285/75/16 BFG,Fingerstick and Blocker plate.Sirius sattelite radio.Blocked intake resonator,Westin oval step bars.Weather Tech front and rear floor liners(awesome).Predator tuner.Autometer A-pillar Boost and Pyro.Cognito tierod/pitman kit.Bilstein 5100/5125 shocks.PPE intake mod.CloudRider mud flaps.All ON headlight mod.MBRP turbo back 4" cool dual exhaust

Still Need
Tie rod sleeves

S&B Cold air intake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
RonJT
Diesel Master

I am pretty sure there is no power steering cooler for the duramax but there was one for the 8.1l.

There was a thread were someone took a 8.1l and added it to a LB7.

Now for the later trucks I think there was some interference that needed a right angle fitting for the feed to the cooler. It was mentioned in the thread.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
a bear
Diesel Master

Louisiana Diesel Truck Association Member

GM now manufactures a plug n play cooler specifically for the 6.6l Diesel 3/4 & 1 Ton PU's. It's larger than the one for the 8.1l and it effectively cures the PS whine.
B&W Gooseneck w/ Companion Hitch, 45 Gal. Transferflow Tank, Kennedy Lift Pump & Control Harness, Nicktane 2 mic cat secondary fuel filter, Kennedy 4" Exhaust, Transgo Jr., Rear Air Lift bags and SureSet Load Controller, Cognito UCA (Leveled), Bilstein 5100's w/ Sulastic Shackles, 285's on Stock 17" Wheels, 4:10 AAM Gears, Lit TTT mirrors, Custom Switch panel & SPA Digital Gauges, Linex, RetraxPro roll top, Maxbrake brake controller. Kennedy Headlight Booster Harness, Bypass coolant filter, Rampage SS Step Bars, Finger Stick & Blocked EGR, PCV Reroute

NRA Life Member
MEMBER #37 of The LOUISIANA DIESEL TRUCK ASSOCIATION

NO Amsoil Anywhere
Member #1 of the OIL is OIL association.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
chitsngiggles
Diesel Technician

Cool,Any idea on a part number?
2006 LBZ DURAMAX, Metalic blue, Crewcab Short box LT,4X4.Torsion leveled with 285/75/16 BFG,Fingerstick and Blocker plate.Sirius sattelite radio.Blocked intake resonator,Westin oval step bars.Weather Tech front and rear floor liners(awesome).Predator tuner.Autometer A-pillar Boost and Pyro.Cognito tierod/pitman kit.Bilstein 5100/5125 shocks.PPE intake mod.CloudRider mud flaps.All ON headlight mod.MBRP turbo back 4" cool dual exhaust

Still Need
Tie rod sleeves

S&B Cold air intake
Old 06-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
a bear
Diesel Master

It's PN. 10385584
Here's the link to GM Parts direct. Much cheaper than the dealer...
The 6.6l is closer to the bottom of the list. I'm not totally sure but you may need the hose kit as well.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
B&W Gooseneck w/ Companion Hitch, 45 Gal. Transferflow Tank, Kennedy Lift Pump & Control Harness, Nicktane 2 mic cat secondary fuel filter, Kennedy 4" Exhaust, Transgo Jr., Rear Air Lift bags and SureSet Load Controller, Cognito UCA (Leveled), Bilstein 5100's w/ Sulastic Shackles, 285's on Stock 17" Wheels, 4:10 AAM Gears, Lit TTT mirrors, Custom Switch panel & SPA Digital Gauges, Linex, RetraxPro roll top, Maxbrake brake controller. Kennedy Headlight Booster Harness, Bypass coolant filter, Rampage SS Step Bars, Finger Stick & Blocked EGR, PCV Reroute

NRA Life Member

NO Amsoil Anywhere

Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitsngiggles View Post
First I used the search function.My question is can a Power steering Cooler be added to a 06 LBZ?If so, how was it done?Did the early Dmaxes come with a PS cooler?
After reading this thread I had to do some checking because I couldn't believe they don't put a PS cooler on the Dmax trucks. I checked my 02 2500 Suburban with the trailer tow package and it does have the PS cooler plus here's a slap in the face, My buddy has a 2003 1500 Suburban with the trailer tow option and his truck has a PS cooler as well. Go Figure.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Technician

Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

Might be a dumb question, but why would there be a power steering cooler on a truck? I auto cross my camaro and still don't have a need for a PS cooler. I know trucks have bigger tires, requiring more work to turn, but at stock tire size, why would a PS cooler be required?

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
Might be a dumb question, but why would there be a power steering cooler on a truck? I auto cross my camaro and still don't have a need for a PS cooler. I know trucks have bigger tires, requiring more work to turn, but at stock tire size, why would a PS cooler be required?
I would have to say that first off a truck is heavier so the power steering unit would have to work harder, especially if the truck is loaded and trucks have hydroboost whereas your car doesn't. I'm sure those factors contribute to heating up the PS fluid pretty good. I would have to say that the cooler helps keep the fluid temp down under high load conditions. If GM didn't have to add a cooler, believe me, they wouldn't, as evidenced in this thread. If a PS cooler wasn't used you'd just get shorter fluid life. That's my $.02.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
a bear
Diesel Master

Well I just ordered the GM cooler for the DMax equiped trucks. It's hard to tell from the GM Parts site whether or not the separate hose kit is needed. I'm almost certain it comes with everything needed for a plug and play install. Will know soon enough....

NRA Life Member

NO Amsoil Anywhere

Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Technician

Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

Later camaros and the 1LE editions came with the power steering cooler, but wasn't really needed. Wouldn't a cheaper/easier alternative be to replace your power steering fluid with a good synthetic that can take the heat and abuse and last longer while doing it.

Is the power steering cooler mounted up front by the radiator? So thats what, like 3 or 4 radiators up front not including the intercooler. How many can you have before it starts to make your egt's rise because the intercoolers not getting enough airflow, how about you motor overheating. I'm not saying the power steering cooler is going to make a drastic difference, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.