Power steering Cooler? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Suspension & Steering - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
chitsngiggles
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
Later camaros and the 1LE editions came with the power steering cooler, but wasn't really needed. Wouldn't a cheaper/easier alternative be to replace your power steering fluid with a good synthetic that can take the heat and abuse and last longer while doing it.

Is the power steering cooler mounted up front by the radiator? So thats what, like 3 or 4 radiators up front not including the intercooler. How many can you have before it starts to make your egt's rise because the intercoolers not getting enough airflow, how about you motor overheating. I'm not saying the power steering cooler is going to make a drastic difference, but I'm sure it doesn't help.
Well if GM has made up a kit it probably shows there is a need for a PS cooler in some instances.Low ground speed and high ambient temps have caused people to loss power steering as well as breaking when the fluid overheats.I tow a travel trailer with my family along in the summer months.This upgrade is piece of mind.As well it takes up little room.
2006 LBZ DURAMAX, Metalic blue, Crewcab Short box LT,4X4.Torsion leveled with 285/75/16 BFG,Fingerstick and Blocker plate.Sirius sattelite radio.Blocked intake resonator,Westin oval step bars.Weather Tech front and rear floor liners(awesome).Predator tuner.Autometer A-pillar Boost and Pyro.Cognito tierod/pitman kit.Bilstein 5100/5125 shocks.PPE intake mod.CloudRider mud flaps.All ON headlight mod.MBRP turbo back 4" cool dual exhaust

Still Need
Tie rod sleeves

S&B Cold air intake
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Aprilwine
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Duramax View Post
Wouldn't a cheaper/easier alternative be to replace your power steering fluid with a good synthetic that can take the heat and abuse and last longer while doing it.

Is the power steering cooler mounted up front by the radiator? So thats what, like 3 or 4 radiators up front not including the intercooler. How many can you have before it starts to make your egt's rise because the intercoolers not getting enough airflow, how about you motor overheating. I'm not saying the power steering cooler is going to make a drastic difference, but I'm sure it doesn't help.
I did just that but having the cooler just gives you a little bit more cooling which will extend the life of Synthetic as well. I think it's better to have one and not need it as opposed to needing it and not having it.

I think it mounts vertically on the far left side in the front of the Intercooler. I don't think it's more than 3" wide and about 8" tall. It shouldn't affect air flow to the intercooler at all and if it did you wouldn't notice it anyway. I know what you mean about all the coolers in the front of the trucks. You got the Engine oil cooler, trans cooler and Intercooler plus the grill. You'd almost think you had to do 100mph to get any airflow to the rad.

Last edited by Aprilwine; 06-25-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
SS Duramax
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SS Duramax

Yeah, I didn't know it was that small. I'm used to big radiators, like all the trucks at work have. Looks like they've got 3 or 4 tranny coolers in front of the radiator, it just looks cluttered, but that PS cooler looks like it doesn't take up much room at all.

1999 Hummer H16.5L TD, Ron Davis Aluminum radiator, HD water pump, Airraid air filter, 37" tires and locker stock

1996 Z28 SS clone.GMMG,KBDDSFC's,Spohn Adj TA w/DS loop,SJM chromemoly adj LCA's and PHB,Strano 1 lowering springs & swaybars,Spohn Road Race K-member with adj upper and lower A-arms,Strange 12 bolt with 4.11's,Pro Race 4L60E with 2800 stall,strange chromemoly driveshaft. 9.2:1 383 TC78(10psi) 600hp 600ft/lbs
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
a bear
Diesel Master

Louisiana Diesel Truck Association Member

My reason for installing a PS cooler isn't so much for fluid longevity but more for braking reliability and protection of hard parts. Hot foamy fluid doesn't offer the film protection of cooler and more viscous fluid. With the complete hydraulic system (Braking and Steering) costing right at $900 and knowing that the system runs hotter than normal it's cheap insurance to me. I only consider the extended oil protection an added benefit. As far as price goes two or three oil changes basically pays for the cooler but oil changes won't prevent heat and associated wear.
B&W Gooseneck w/ Companion Hitch, 45 Gal. Transferflow Tank, Kennedy Lift Pump & Control Harness, Nicktane 2 mic cat secondary fuel filter, Kennedy 4" Exhaust, Transgo Jr., Rear Air Lift bags and SureSet Load Controller, Cognito UCA (Leveled), Bilstein 5100's w/ Sulastic Shackles, 285's on Stock 17" Wheels, 4:10 AAM Gears, Lit TTT mirrors, Custom Switch panel & SPA Digital Gauges, Linex, RetraxPro roll top, Maxbrake brake controller. Kennedy Headlight Booster Harness, Bypass coolant filter, Rampage SS Step Bars, Finger Stick & Blocked EGR, PCV Reroute

NRA Life Member
MEMBER #37 of The LOUISIANA DIESEL TRUCK ASSOCIATION

NO Amsoil Anywhere
Member #1 of the OIL is OIL association.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Grizwald
Diesel Technician

Has anybody found out weather or not when ordering if we need the hose kit or not?

Griz
05 2500 LT D/A CC SB 4WD Dark Grey Metallic, TxC Rad Mod V2+Fan and CAI, LBZ Mouth Piece, PVC Re-Route, Mike L 05 Cooler, Allison OEM Deep Pan, Blocker Plate + Finger Stick, GM Power Steering Cooler, Nicktane Fuel Filter + FS 2500 Oil Bypass Filter, MBRP Cat Back + Cat Delete Down Pipe, Superglide 16k Slider + Prodigy, Firestone Air Bags With Pump and Gauge, DuraFlap Mudflaps, Husky Liners, Line-X, Cognito 4-6 with Fox Shocks and all the Cognito goodies, Sulastic Spring Hangers + GM updated rear Cab Mounts, PPE tuner, Amp Research Step's, Toyo 295/70/17's 33.3" X11.6" on American Racing Trax 8's, Weekend Warrior LE 3505 Toy Hauler 12,000lb+
Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
a bear
Diesel Master

Louisiana Diesel Truck Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizwald View Post
Has anybody found out weather or not when ordering if we need the hose kit or not?

Griz
The cooler arrived today. Everything is included...
B&W Gooseneck w/ Companion Hitch, 45 Gal. Transferflow Tank, Kennedy Lift Pump & Control Harness, Nicktane 2 mic cat secondary fuel filter, Kennedy 4" Exhaust, Transgo Jr., Rear Air Lift bags and SureSet Load Controller, Cognito UCA (Leveled), Bilstein 5100's w/ Sulastic Shackles, 285's on Stock 17" Wheels, 4:10 AAM Gears, Lit TTT mirrors, Custom Switch panel & SPA Digital Gauges, Linex, RetraxPro roll top, Maxbrake brake controller. Kennedy Headlight Booster Harness, Bypass coolant filter, Rampage SS Step Bars, Finger Stick & Blocked EGR, PCV Reroute

NRA Life Member
MEMBER #37 of The LOUISIANA DIESEL TRUCK ASSOCIATION

NO Amsoil Anywhere
Member #1 of the OIL is OIL association.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Grizwald
Diesel Technician

Thank you. Guess its time to order one. Mine wined when getting of the freeway after a long haul towing the 5er. I changed the fluid to syn about 1 1/2 years ago and have not heard a peep out of it, even after the lift and 33'' Toyo's. I just think this is piece of mind for me because if you need syn to stop the whining then you know the system is over stressed and a bad design from the factory. Cheap Ass Gm.....
05 2500 LT D/A CC SB 4WD Dark Grey Metallic, TxC Rad Mod V2+Fan and CAI, LBZ Mouth Piece, PVC Re-Route, Mike L 05 Cooler, Allison OEM Deep Pan, Blocker Plate + Finger Stick, GM Power Steering Cooler, Nicktane Fuel Filter + FS 2500 Oil Bypass Filter, MBRP Cat Back + Cat Delete Down Pipe, Superglide 16k Slider + Prodigy, Firestone Air Bags With Pump and Gauge, DuraFlap Mudflaps, Husky Liners, Line-X, Cognito 4-6 with Fox Shocks and all the Cognito goodies, Sulastic Spring Hangers + GM updated rear Cab Mounts, PPE tuner, Amp Research Step's, Toyo 295/70/17's 33.3" X11.6" on American Racing Trax 8's, Weekend Warrior LE 3505 Toy Hauler 12,000lb+
Old 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Grizwald
Diesel Technician

Got the Cooler from GM Parts Direct today. Here is a pic so everyone knows what you get in the box

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ringcooler.jpg
Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Grizwald
Diesel Technician

Got the Cooler mounted. I takes about 20 min to snake it through. You need to find a bolt to mount the side mount to the trany Cooler frame. The threaded hole is already in place. Found a bolt in the garage and all is well. Now for those who have done this I just want to make sure I am plumbing the hoses right. There is a line coming out of the back of the pump that turns to rubber with a hose clamp and goes down to the steering box. I think I take the line off there and put one of the cooler lines to the one going into the pump. Than I think I'm suppose to go to Home Depot and buy a 3/8 barbed union and hook the reaming cooler line to the line I pulled off the pump which goes down to the steering box.

Anybody that has done this please respond if this is correct.

Thanks
Griz
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Grizwald
Diesel Technician

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=102840

Found this, I did find the right lines. I am just using a 3/8 barbed union instead of a new fitting on the steering box. Should work fine. I also think the 8.1 part # is the same dang thing and it is cheaper. Go Figure

Anyway one more item GM should have provided from the factory
Where's my dang hood Light GM

Last edited by Grizwald; 07-17-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.