Diesel Place banner

ride quality

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Teck 
#1 ·
i know this is off the subject but no one has more knowledge that everyone on this site. i am very seriously considering ordering a gmc
4x4 cc sb with the new lmm dz. One question - how is the ride on concrete highways going 70-75mph? i am migrating from a toyota tundra double cab that rides like a car. need to tow my bobcat toolcat with mower and trailer at 11500 lbs. i test drove a new gmc 2500 but the closest concrete highway is over 80 miles away - all new asphalt locally.
i am worried about rear end hop that i noticed with older 2500 gm and fords i have driven in the past for work (10 yrs ago). this will be a daily driver and i am wondering how comfortable it would be compared to a 1500 cc 4x4 driving across the midwest to go hunting.

thx
ts

#2 ·
It will be stiffer,especially on concrete highways.Bigger tires with less air will help.The ride isn't that bad but it isn't like a car,that's for sure.Loaded,they ride great!

#4 ·
I agree with nick....get the bilsteins and you will notice an even bigger improvement.....to be quite honest i have a new 3500 single rear wheel and i think it rides pretty damn good for a 1ton truck...i would say it is everybit as smooth a ride as my mother's 300m on the highway...sure the occasional big bump will remind you it is a truck but you hardly notice the expantion craks in the highway....also considering you are towing 11000lbs i don't see that you have any other options...i certainly would not hook it to your yota...

#5 ·
Mines stock and rides like a Cadillac cruising the freeways around Atlanta at 80 mph. I've about dozed off a time or two layed back in the captains chair with the cruise control on its so smooth....;)

#6 ·
IMHO, these trucks ride great in stock form. Add some Bilsteins and they handle better. Add some deavers and big tires, and the ride is awsome. My truck rides smoother than my BMW (it doesn't handle better though....lol). If you add some tires with a bigger sidewall, it will not only look better, but the ride will smooth out some.

#7 ·
i have a '98 chevy 3500 dully with 2 yard dump. it is ok for short trips but i am afraid pulling up to 12500 lbs is going to take its toll on the trany. it has a 5.7 l chevy. it has a 4.1 rear. i want to keep it "healthy" as i use it a lot for maintence of my roads and my fathers 2 hunting properties. i just don't want to buy a new 2500 and find out it is too rough riding to be comfortable on long drives out west to hunt.

thx
ts

#8 ·
Shoot dutchpilot a msg...he has a new lmm....already has 50k miles on it...i am sure he will attest to the ride comfort

#9 ·
Don't worry about the ride. I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD crew cab and my wife and i and the kids drive it everywhere even on vacation the last two years which is about 1800 miles round trip and the wife & kids sleep like a baby. Trust me i have had older 3/4 ton trucks and i know the ride you are talking about and the new trucks are nothing like the old ones. Hope this helps you in making your mind up.

#10 ·
In many ways mine rides better than my Vette.

#11 ·
Nite and day difference in going to my new LMM from my 97 6.5L 3/4 ton Burb with Bilsteins. Just got back from an 800 mi trip at 70-80 unloaded and was more than happy with the new ride. I didn't get the Z71 susp on purpose.

With the number of crewcabs sittting on the dealer lots around here, I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a long test drive to figure it out for yourself.

#12 ·
Well depending on how they poured the highway it can get pretty bouncy. I80 coming through Nebraska is horrible. I went through it with a 28ft Dominator with the stock shocks and only 5000 miles on the truck and it was no fun. This was with a 2005 btw...

Now since then I've switched to the bilsteins on my 06 and this seems to help out alot ont he highways that were not continuously poured.

#14 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I have an '07 classic 2500HD CCSB4x4 classic and did not really care for the handling of the truck in its stock form. I made several changes and ultimately found the stock tires were the largest contributing factor to my handling woes.
A good friend of mine has an '07 (the new body style) 2500HD CCSB4x4 w/ a gas motor and he says his truck has the same handling characteristics that mine did. He is now looking for tires.

I have owned 2 Toyota pickup trucks (the little ones) and believe them to be the total package when it comes to a truck. They have the right balance in on road handling and ride quality, off road capability and payload capacity. Now that they have a decent full size pickup I will look very closely at them again when the time comes to replace my current truck

#16 ·
Its not bad at all for a 3/4 ton truck. Just add bilsteins and air bag, Made a big difference when towing my TT that weighs about 9000 lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.