Maint. Time... Transfer Case and Axles - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mkos1980
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETHAL WEAPON View Post
Hey Brian...any reason why my truck doesn't have a g-80 locker in the rear, seems like I'm the only member here that has an open rear...no g-80 in the RPO codes either

Mines an open as well.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

moved to maintenance and fluids forum
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
ChevyBowtie
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrexco View Post
Use a synthetic Dexron VI for the transfer case. I used Valvoline Dexron VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. It's a full synthetic. Use 3 quarts and fill it through the speed sensor. Many have used the "over fill" speed sensor method to get an extra quart into the transfer case.

For the differentials, also use a synthetic gear oil. The service manual calls for an SAE 75w-90 Synthetic, they spec this for fuel economy. If you tow heavy it's better to use the SAE 75w-140. I used Lucas full synthetic, but wasn't so happy as there was some contaiminates in the bottom of the gallon container after I pumped them empty. I called and wrote Lucas, but never got any responce back. It could be all the red colored blobs were additive, but I was never able to confirm it with Lucas.
Couple of questions on this
1. is the speed senor, on the top back side of the transfer case?
2. filling the fluid up to this point won't hurt the transfer case?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
306LBZ
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBowtie View Post
Couple of questions on this
1. is the speed senor, on the top back side of the transfer case?
2. filling the fluid up to this point won't hurt the transfer case?
Thanks
Guys that overfill it through the speed sensor use engine oil when overfilling. Plenty of people do it without any problems, personaly I dont, I stick to transyd(torquedrive for now though). There might even be a study if I remember right somewhere online using 5w30 engine oil I believe in the TCase. I would suggest to be careful when your removing that sensor if you go this route. I've seen a lot of threads on here with guys having issues with this sensor and its possible some of these trucks have had guys removing that sensor before having the issue. I dont know for sure but its a good possibilty
EGR Blocked and Disabled
Cognito 4" NTBD Kit w/ Zinc plated Bilsteins all around
KRYPTONITE UCA'S
285 70 10 PLY BFG AT TAKO's on 17" H2's(SUMMER)
255 85 10 PLY ON 16" PYO'S(WINTER)
and a few other minor additions here and there(SEE GARAGE)
Reese 20K Slider 5thwheel Hitch
Towing a 36' 5THWHEEL ENCLOSED CARGO TRAILER ALL DAY LONG!
NEW: 2006 2500HD LT ECSB 4X4 6.0L/4L80E/4.10'S/Eagle Alloy's w 265 75 16 10 ply's/Rancho 5000's/AIR BAGS/WALKER QUIET FLOW3
Proud Member #20 of the "OIL is OIL" association

Last edited by 306LBZ; 02-09-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

I just filled the T case from the fill hole. Got a hand pump & pumped until fluid started to come out. Easy & quick to do it this way. It took a bit over 1.5 quarts. I used the last of the Dexron VI fluid I had laying around.
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by Dmax 5th Wheel; 02-09-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
ChevyBowtie
Diesel Enthusiast

Perfect thanks for info Guys!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
auwing
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
Just be CERTAIN to not use any gear oil labelled for use with positraction or limited slip axles, in the rear differential. Synthetic GL-5 only, or your G80 locker WILL chatter, or, not engage correctly.
Except the only Mobil 1 75-90 to be found says LS on the label. Is this marketing of a product good for all applications?
2011 2500 Extended Cab D'Max / Allison
2014 Jayco 331 RETS
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/gar...1&d=1265814577
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by auwing View Post
Except the only Mobil 1 75-90 to be found says LS on the label. Is this marketing of a product good for all applications?
GM says to use a GL-5 gear lube, & most GL-5 gear lubes that iv seen all say LS on them.
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Master

I shouldn't be shocked; I'm quite used to the mis-information and dis-information that abounds on this site ....

Here is what I posted from 5 years ago about this whole diff fluid thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Regarding the "need" for "synthetic" fluids in respect to the front/rear differentials, here is some information. The GM spec 9986115 was PRIMARILY developed so that a GL-5 fluid could be used to help improve fuel efficiency. Further, cold weather and thermal oxidation issues were noted. This basically means GM was looking for a fluid that helped corporate fuel economy efforts, and didn't evaporate quite as fast. The goal here was to get a fluid that could last for longer service intervals (I.E. - not be changed as often!) It has NOTHING to do with the fact that "synthetic" is REQUIRED for safe operation, it just happens to provide longer service life. Here's one quote of proof:

"Document Number : 9986115
Publication Date : 2003-12-01 00:00:00.0
Organization : General Motors North America
1 Scope This specification describes an axle lubricant to replace previous lubricant 9985290 and 9985182. This axle lubricant, suitable for car and truck axles, exhibits improved fuel efficiency, lower axle temperature operation, and improved thermal stability."

Further, read this:

[Note from Michael Asmussen, Torque Control Products Division of Eaton Corp.]

"Automatic Locking Differential Lubricants.
We recommend the following lubrications for our locking differentials:
1)Texaco 2276; Synthetic 75 W90; Gm Part # 9986115
2)Texaco 9622; Mineral based 80W90; GM Part # 9985290
3)Texaco 2080; Synthetic 75W140 (heavy duty applications); GM part # 9985991
Note - All of the above lubes are preblended with friction modifier. No additional modifiers are necessary or recommended. As far as other lubes are concerned, any standard GL 5 lube will work, but the units perform optimally with the three listed above.

Now you will note that the above quote is from Eaton Corp., the manufacturer of our differentials in our trucks. Here, there is specific reference to the fact that they show both conventional AND synthetic fluids meet the engineering standards for the Eaton differentials. There is specific reference to GL-5 fluids.

You see, GM spec'd out the 9986115 "synthetic" fluid (what we all call grape juice) because it was a FUEL ECONOMY issue, not a warranty issue. This "synthetic" fluid allows for a longer service use, before it has to be changed. But ANY GL-5 Fluid will work and that's STRAIGHT FROM THE MANUFACTURER. There are even references from both Castrol and Mobil that their fluids meet the GL-5 standard as well.

The differential maker (Eaton) notes that ANY GL-5 fluid will work.

The reason GM specifically states to NOT add FM (friction modifier or commonly called L/S additive) is because the GM Fluids (in this case, 9986115) AREADLY HAVE THE FM IN THEM! If you purchase a GL-5 fluid that does not contain FM, you're going to want some in there. That is because the clutch pack WILL chatter if there is no FM. Many (but not all) of today's synthetics already have the FM in there (Amsoil, Mobil 1, others). Many dino fluids do NOT have the FM added. The FM does not cause clutch chatter; used in small doses, it is to eliminate the chatter. However, if you overdose the FM, it can actually invert part of the add-pack chemistry and have the opposite effect, so adding in FM in very small quantities (a few ounces at a time, then driven for a few hunderd miles between each trial) is often a good idea.

So you can use synthetic or dino GL-5, but you may or may not have to add FM, depending upon product.
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 02-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Master

And don't get me started on the bovine-poo about using 3 quarts of engine oil in the transfer case ...
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.