stanadyne? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
michigancamper
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Michigan Oil Burners Member

stanadyne?

I haven't been here in a long while and probably haven't taken proper care of my '07 with an LMM. After 61K miles on the clock, I'm thinking the fuel quality in this country isn't getting any better and maybe I should be using an additive.

Since way back when, Stanadyne has always had a good rep but I'm confused. Where I've seen it for sale online, I see no mention of the COLOR. Yet to my understanding, there is a color that improves the lubricity only and another color that improves both lubricity AND the cetane rating. Without a mention, how does one know what he's getting?

Can any one enlighten me? Also, is the general rule to use it with every fill up or just 'once in a while'.

Thanks, michigancamper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

The purple is the lubrication only, and the blue label is that and the cetane booster. As far as how often- once in a while is a minimum, every or every other fill up is recommended.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tuttle228
Diesel Technician

I have been using Stanadyne performance formula since day 1 in my LMM. I use it every time I fill up!

ISSPRO Performax Pyrometer and Boost, ATS Pulse Flow Manifolds and Uppipes, FPE 4" HX40 Cheetah Downpipe, MBRP 5" Into 6" Miter Cut Stack, AFE Stage 2 Intake, EFI Live (DSP 5) by FPE, FPE Turbobrake, Airdog II 165, Industrial Injection 85% CP3, Extrude Honed 60% Nozzles, Ported Fuel Rail Fitting, Shimmed FPRV, FPE 68mm LBZ Cheetah, Banks Techni-Cooler/3" Boost Tube, ARP Head Studs, EGR Delete, All Season PCV Reroute Kit, FPE Suncoast Gmax/1058, Mag-Hytec Pan, Eaton E-Locker, Tie Rod Sleeves, Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm Supports, ADM Driveshaft, Driveshaft Loops, Three Link Rear Suspension Kit, All Season Adjustable Suspension Stops and Hitch, Mag-Hytec Rear Differential Cover, Helo He 835 17x8, Interco Trxus STS 33x12.50

Fleece Performance Engineering
765-676-5063
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
rtquig
Diesel Master

Look at the web sites more closely, they usually have a fact sheet for each product they sell. Some guys use performance, some use the lubricant, and some put both in at every fuel up. I put performance in the tank at every fuel up for the past 7 years without fail. Put on the Nicktane and between the two never had a fuel issue.

2002 DMax CC Long Bed Pewter SOLD @ 122K 1/1/11
Nicktane
Westin Steps, Rhino Liner
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Performance formula has the cetane booster...which really isn't necessary in the summer when you're not dealing with winter diesel. You need much more of it to reach proper mixture, so the per-tank cost of the blue performance formula is much higher.

In the summer, purple lubricity formula is all you need, and the dosage is much smaller.

Depending on where you live, you may not have winter diesel, but for those of us that do, the cetane additive in the Stanadyne blue is very worthy to keep MPG up - it made a *dramatic* difference for me in the winter when I started running it after a winter of running lubricity only.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Master

I don't believe the cetane booster has anything to do with the cold temps of winter; not as far as performance goes, anyway. (I mean to say that cold temps are not why cetance booster is used). The cetane concept is similar to octane in gasoline. The result from boosting cetane is a more efficient combustion process; a benefit in all temps. Centane booster is desireable year round.

The "anti-gel" additive portion of the product is what's not needed in summer.

This is fairly common in the market place.

For example, the Power Serivce products are marketed similary. The silver bottle (diesel kleen) has cetane booster, demulsifiers and lubricity agents, but no anti-gel. The white bottle (diesel fuel supplement) has all of those, plus anti-gel. Interestingly, the silver summer bottle has +6 boost of cetane, but the while bottle only has +4 cetane boost. Why? Because (I was told by their engineer when I spoke with them on the phone a few years ago) as the product is loaded up with different addtives, there is a finite capacity to what the medium can carry and not have stuff fall out of suspension. So, when they add the anti-gel and other cold-temp specific enhancements to the forumla, they must back down the cetane booster to allow more "room" in the chemisty for the other components.

You can use the "winter" formulas of Power Service, Stanadyne, Howes, Amsoil, Schaeffers, etc year round with no concerns.
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 07-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Based on my experience Summer diesel has more then enough of a cetane rating to suffice - adding more is unlikely to help with fuel mileage any more, therefore, is arguably a waste of money.

If anyone has improved summer fuel mileage by boosting cetane beyond that or regular summer formulated diesel, I'd be all ears though.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Heartbeat Hauler
Diesel Master

INDP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigancamper View Post
I haven't been here in a long while and probably haven't taken proper care of my '07 with an LMM. After 61K miles on the clock, I'm thinking the fuel quality in this country isn't getting any better and maybe I should be using an additive.

Since way back when, Stanadyne has always had a good rep but I'm confused. Where I've seen it for sale online, I see no mention of the COLOR. Yet to my understanding, there is a color that improves the lubricity only and another color that improves both lubricity AND the cetane rating. Without a mention, how does one know what he's getting?

Can any one enlighten me? Also, is the general rule to use it with every fill up or just 'once in a while'.

Thanks, michigancamper
I use the stanadyne Performance Formula and the Lubricity Formula in every tank. Once my current supply of Stanadyne is gone I will be changing to the Opti-Lube XPD. The Opti-Lube XPD has twice the micron improvement as the Stanadyne at about the same price.

The "color" that you are talking about is the label on the stanadyne bottle:
-Blue label - Performance Formula - Cetane improver, anti-gel, bio-cide, lubricity, and some other stuff (technical term)

-Purple label - Lubricity only, but 5x higher micron improver than the Performance Formula

-Red label - Performance Jr. same as Performance Formula without the anti-gel and cetane improver.

-Green label - Winter formula

2001 Dmax/Alli 3500 LS 4x4, Banks Stinger Kit w/4" Exhaust, Bilsteins, VR Straps, Racor 660 fuel filter kit
2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0
1996 Chevy Caprice LT1
3500 Dually Club - Member #187
Agent Yoda - Member #64 A(ACLU)

www.alligatorperformance.com

Last edited by Heartbeat Hauler; 07-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.