Howe diesel additive - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
johann475
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Howe diesel additive

Has anyone used howes diesel additive? I just bougth a 2003 chevy 6.6L, the truck would smoke a little and run a little rough. I was at loves truck stop and seen like 5 or 6 truckers with it in there hands, so i asked 3 of them what they thought about it and if it really worked. All three of them told me that they could see and feel the differents in there trucks. I started running this additive in my truck and it has improved my millage +5, does not smoke anymore unless I really get on it, warms up in about 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile to normal operating temperature, O and the power in the truck has improved you can feel it when you put it to the floor. Not to say anything but I have had other chevy diesels and ran other additives, and non of them have worked as good and have been as good on the back pocket. BIG JOHN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
TOTHEMAX!
LT. Dan

Montana DP Member Club Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Howes is ok. Check out the Maintenance section and there is a writeup on all of the additives.

Former truck was a 03 Chevy 2500HD w/ Duramax
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
The Old Crank

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

moved to maintenance and fluids
Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FACTS AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Old 11-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
dnewton3
Diesel Master

I have used PS products for the bulk of my diesel life (last 25 years).

Recently though, I started using Howes because it was the cheaper of the two at my local farm supply store (found a great deal!).

I have not been able to quantify a true performance difference between Howes and PS and Stanadyne.

This summer, I pulled my travel trailer nearly 4k miles out to Yellowstone and back. I experimented with Howes, PS and such for different tank fulls. I even tried the two-stoke oil thing. There was not a really good consistent weather/road pattern, but regardless, my mileage didn't seem to waver much no matter what product I put in the tank. In short, they all performed about the same.

I personally look at the additives as something that is a smart thing to do, because lubricity is but one advantage of these multi-range products. They also address moisture, cetane, cleanliness, pour-point suppressents, etc.

But I also don't know that there is a clear "winner" among them. Yes, the lubricity study does have some interesting data, but it also ONLY addressed lubricity, and not any of the other attributes these products offer. Therefore, while one might be the "best" at lubricity, it may flounder at pour points, and we'd have NO idea, because the study does not address that issue. You cannot say that one is "better" than another when ONLY one characteristic is chosen. These products are multi-tasked, and very capable.

In that sense, I believe that all the major brands offer performance good enough to warrant their purchase, so I typically choose the least expensive. Howes, Power Service, Stanadyn and such all are easily attainable, and do a job well enough given all the topics they address.
Fumoto drain valve / Power Steering Cooler added / Inverted Tranny Cooler / Autometer pyrometer / home-made diff cover / upgraded x-fer case skid plate

Member #2 of the "OIL is OIL" association
I used to use dino oil because I didn't know any better.
Then, I used synthetics because I thought they were "best".
Now, I use dino, because I know the truth!

Last edited by dnewton3; 11-12-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
tystevens
Diesel Technician

Huh, intersting to know that DNewton is a fan of supplements. I wouldn't have guessed.

DNewton, did you try a tank or two with no additive, for control? Just wondering.

Personally, I occasionally buy a bottle of PS at Walmart every so often, probably every 3 months or whatever (I burn about a tank of diesel every 2 weeks for normal use). I can't claim to tell a difference in fuel mileage or engine operation. Used the last 1/3 of a bottle of PS on the way to Moab a few weeks back, came home w/o any additive in the tank. No perceptible difference towing, either.

Not sure why I buy the products -- makes me feel like I'm taking care of my baby, I guess. Same reason I buy the good ice cream for my wife every so often (that Gelato is expensive, but it makes her happy!).

Last edited by tystevens; 11-12-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
unit
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I agree with tystevens. I use PS in the winter to prevent fuel gelling, otherwise I see no difference when using an additive or straight diesel fuel.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
ShopSpecialties
Diesel Master

I run Stanadyne every tank and 2 stroke on full tanks. I have thought about trying Howes since it is a quality product. I see roughly about a 5 % increase in MPG and the plus the other benefits.
2006 Chevy Express 1 Ton Ext Duramax, EFILive. Edge Insight CTS. Truck-Lite LED Headlight. Throttle Down Kustoms Bumper.TCI Deep Pan. Fumoto valve. Diamond Eye 4" Turbo Back Exhaust BYE BYE Kitty and Ruffler. B&M Supercooler. AEM dry filter with custom air intake made by yours truly. PCV Re-Route. Diamond Eye turbo direct pipe. Kennedy lift pump. EGR valve and cooler delete. Derale 26" dual pass fuel cooler. Trex-Tech Up pipes. Batmowheel. Turbo Performance Products turbo sock.

Thank you:

Chad @ Alligator Performance
Jeremy @ Throttle Down Kustoms

I am here to help 24/7 and if anybody has a issue with me I am also here 24/7 to resolve anything. Please feel free to pm, call, fax, email, anytime with any questions what so ever .
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
stockrex
Diesel Technician

Michigan Oil Burners Member

howe's won't freeze in your cab in winter unlike stanadyne,
I have not used it personally, but read good things about em, I think they have a winter warranty if your fuel gels with their stuff in it :-)

It is not about the political parties but about the country.

77.9% of people filing for bankruptcy have health insurance and are of middle class incomes
18.6% bankruptcies were filed due to medical bills
Wake-up America!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
TOTHEMAX!
LT. Dan

I gelled last year while using howes. After contacting them they asked for a fuel sample and some other info. According to them I had enough howes in the tank but they were not sure why I gelled. It was only -8 out....

I ended up getting a free case of howes.

Former truck was a 03 Chevy 2500HD w/ Duramax
Old 11-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
colt49
Diesel Master

Guess that's enough Howe's to not gel. Always had good luck with it way past-8 deg. and it costs less than lots of the comps. I double dose my tank though so maybe it helps alot.
06 LBZ - EFI, Raptor Lift w/ 10AN Lines, EGR Delete, PCV Reroute, 5" Pipe, Caltracs, ATS Diff Cover, Trasfercase Brace, Ride Rite Air Bags, Isspro Gauges, 285 Kumho AT, Cal Trend Neo Seat Covers, Tinted, Future Mod: ATS Headers & Twin Changeover....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.