Is one company's diesel better than another? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kevin8520
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Is one company's diesel better than another?

Okay I searched for topics related to this, but as you can imagine, I get a TON of results when I type in diesel, fuel, etc lol

Is the diesel that comes from one gas station better than another? I.E. Chevron vs. Valero?

I know you can get a bad batch of diesel on occasion, maybe from a small gas station, but if we put Chevron diesel and Valero diesel next to each other, would there be a difference?

Previous Trucks:
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab (LB7) Arrival Blue w/ Dark Charcoal Interior

Other Goodies:
2007 Yamaha YFZ450 Special Edition
23' Fleetwood Prowler Camper Trailer
Chevy Corvair engine in a Sand Rail

Flock you CA and your AB1488
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

I do not think the fuel is better at one station compared to another, most states have minimun requirements with at least 40 for a cetane number, some stations advertise a higher cetane number. I think it is all in the amount a station pumps, if fuel sits to long in a tank , you have water contamination, dirt contamination and bacteria contamination. At home I try to fill up at the same station all the time , when on the road I try to use a fairly busy truck stop. just my thoughts===charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 346,698 miles and counting.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
kcb37
Diesel Master

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Easy answer is it depends.
Like said, if the truck that brought it in is dirty, the tank at the station is dirty, not used much, ect...
Seems like everyone says the diesel itself comes from the same distribution center though. However say the trucks, tanks at the station were brand new. It still depends on brand. Each one puts in their own additive. Like Chevron has Techron and whatever everyone else has. So yes it can be better at some stations. But to add to that the additives are added to meet a set requirement. Such as cetane rating, lubrication requirements, cloud point, ect... So still your should be getting a big difference out of fuel from one station to the next.
Only thing I would say is like Charlie B said, I mainly go to only 1 station (a high use truck stop at that) and try to continue the trend of high use truck stops when I travel.
Reasoning is fresher fuel, less chance of water, dirt, basically contamination.
2003 2500HD Silverado, ECSB, 3.73, G80, Tekonsha P3, 4" Silverline Dual Exhaust 5" Tips, Autometer Boost & Pyro Guages, Mobil 1 Delvac (TES-295), Opti Lube XPD, 2nd set injectors 109,000, 3rd set injectors 153,000, Cobra 29LTD (peaked & tuned), Wilson 5,000 mileage 172,000
2005 Cavalier 4dr.
1996 1500 Silverado, ECSB, 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker, Lakewood Slappers, mileage 190,000
1974 Corvette, 350, 4 speed, T-tops. Bright red. No tickets yet...
1949 F-1, Flathead 6, 4 speed
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
JD4440

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

KY Diesel place Club Member

Unless you get premium diesel who knows what you get.
If you'll notice the diesel pumps at most shells, ect don't have the "quality fuels" ect selling point on the diesel pump. Most diesel we sell comes from which ever terminal has the best price/amount we need on hand. Shell, Phillips, whoever knows this is standard practice I guess and doesn't place the trademark on the pump.
Member #9 of the "OIL is OIL" association
EFILive (By JoshH)
EDGE CTS/Camera

Suncoast
Converters
M
erchant Automotive
Big Dipper (George)
Inglewood Transmission
Big Hog Customs

MadJack Racing
BANKS POWER
YourGMParts.COM
Alligator Performance
Performance Truck Products
Nor-Cal Truck

Creatures of the Night Performance

For a look at what these guys have done for me, See my Garage
Old 10-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
SLT223
Diesel Master

If you are wondering if there is a difference between Exxon's diesel and Chevron's diesel, vs Valero's diesel, etc, the answer is NO. It's all fungable product as per API and ASTM standards. They actually buy and sell between eachother all the time. It's anyone's quess from which refinery the product actually comes from. That being said, if the Valero station around the corner has brand new tanks in the ground, and the Citgo station down the street has 30 y/o tanks in the ground, the Citgo station will probably have dirtier fuel. Same thing goes for the quality of the delivery trucks. Old shitty tanker trucks will have what looks like poop in the bottom of them. Some of that poop ends up in the fuel delivered to the station.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
trailwhale
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT223 View Post
If you are wondering if there is a difference between Exxon's diesel and Chevron's diesel, vs Valero's diesel, etc, the answer is NO. It's all fungable product as per API and ASTM standards. They actually buy and sell between eachother all the time. It's anyone's quess from which refinery the product actually comes from. That being said, if the Valero station around the corner has brand new tanks in the ground, and the Citgo station down the street has 30 y/o tanks in the ground, the Citgo station will probably have dirtier fuel. Same thing goes for the quality of the delivery trucks. Old shitty tanker trucks will have what looks like poop in the bottom of them. Some of that poop ends up in the fuel delivered to the station.
And that is why you need better than 4 micron rated fuel filters on your Dmax! Says it all. New tanks - old tanks they all have poop in them....
LT265/75R16 Michelin AT2
GM PS Cooler with Redline D4 ATF Fluid
Pullrite 18K Superglide Hitch
2008 Rage'N FA 3005 Toyhauler
Member #6 "Oil is Oil" Association
Life is like a coin. Once spent it is gone. Spend it wisely.
Full Throttle solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
rtquig
Diesel Master

In my section of the country, most of the diesel comes from the pipeline, but there are some refined in the nothern part of the state. All the diesel starts out the same, but the additives that each company puts in are different as someone already stated, and how much contamination a tank has in it affects the product. With all the regulations and working at some UST sites (underground storage tank) I doubt you have many stations with 30 year old tanks, although I won't say there ar none, but the odds are with the EPA laws you won't find many.

2002 DMax CC Long Bed Pewter SOLD @ 122K 1/1/11
Nicktane
Westin Steps, Rhino Liner
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
TOTHEMAX!
LT. Dan

Montana DP Member Club Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Last year I contacted Power Service while I was having problems with their products and according to the engineer they test fuel samples from each state. The fuel samples that came out of MT showed Cenex being the best fuel available.

Former truck was a 03 Chevy 2500HD w/ Duramax
Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
mmangels22
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Nor-Cal Diesel Place Club Member

Nope. Its basically all the same. The only thing that matters is what station will have water in their fuel tanks that can mess up your fuel system. That is what is hit and miss otherwise fill up at mom and pop or a big name it shouldn't matter

1991 Ford F350 XLT Lariat CC LB 4x4 with 7.5 L engine

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" Townsend Whelen.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
aka108
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Gas or diesel it all comes from tank farms nearest to the dispensing stations location. It's all the same stuff. Most important is how clean the fuel is kept from the tank farm to you fuel tank.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.