Diesel Place banner

Bio diesel as just an additive

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  pavetim 
#1 ·
i was gonna start making my own bio in small batches just to use as an additive for lubricatin and cetane boost. My question is how much would i use per tank? I was thinking one gallon per tank but not sure if thats enough. What you guys think?

#2 ·
your truck can run up to 20% (even 100%). 2% will be equal to the amount of lubricity we all lost going from lsd to ulsd. however a 10% blend will do better than the guys running 2 stroke oil.

#3 ·
Yeah i wish i could get b20 around me they have nothing. I just want to buy some b100 or most likely brew some of my own just for an additive. 10% sounds good but about 3 gal per tank huh? I guess thats not too bad. I know it will cost me more but i'm gonna brew from SVO so that I can get the hang of it then i'll prolly switch to WVO to keep the cost down. So 2-3 gal of B100 per tank should do good right?

#4 ·
Lots of info here. This is what i want you to take from this though. THERE ARE NO ASTM STANDARDS FOR RUNNING WVO!

"SPECIFICATION FOR
BIODIESEL (B100) – ASTM D6751-09
Nov. 2008
Biodiesel is defined as the mono alkyl esters of long chain fatty acids derived from vegetable oils or animal fats,
for use in compression-ignition (diesel) engines. This specification is for pure (100%) biodiesel prior to use or
blending with diesel fuel. "

* The carbon residue shall be run on the 100% sample.

"# A considerable amount of experience exists in the US with a 20% blend of biodiesel with 80% diesel fuel (B20).

Although biodiesel (B100) can be used, blends of over 20% biodiesel with diesel fuel should be evaluated on a

case-by-case basis until further experience is available."

I highly discourage you from using Waste Vegitable oil with out transestrification in to astm fuel quality biodiesel

#5 ·
Watch the bacteria and use it fast so it won't turn stale. Sure draws water in tanks and bottles if stored.

#6 ·
Well i'd probably make 4 gallons at a time and use 1-1.5 gal per tank as an additive. So at worst it would sit in my garage for a few weeks. But I can put a bacteria killer in it just in case and watch the water before I use it. Thanks.

#7 ·
have you decide on a method for making a small batch like that? Just a side note, you won't have to agressively mix the 2 fuels as long as you add the bio to the top of your tank. also a blend up to 20% or B20 will not change the gel point for the petro you mix it with. so with that being said, if you are in a cold climate you can still run a blend with #1 winter fuel and have no gelling isues. I know this is true because on our ranch we ran a blend of #1 and bio during a week of -20*F weather.

#8 ·
They started selling this stuff called Alterra DieselMaxx at Johnson's Corner, and many other truck stops in Colorado, and Georgia apparently.

Saw it the other day when I was there for breakfast, came home and did some reading on it. Read all good things, today was the first day with it in the tank. You can get a case of it for $36 (6 gal)

http://www.alterradieselmaxx.com/index_A.html

If you are in Laramie, may be a good solution to your problem.

Anyone had any other experience with this stuff?

#9 ·
I won't touch bio under 40 deg. F. If filters etc. are marginal it can and will gel faster at a mystery pt. down the scale. Too many side of the road stories on that. Not me but others. It's a fair climate fuel to us. It's up to the user though. I'm just telling our stop pt. with it. Tried to find the benefit of it and didn't so run 2 stroke instead. Just our setup do as you want.

#10 ·
2% is what they used in the lube test that found it best. So I'll that x is the diesel you add from the pump: x*.02=how much to add.

As said before you probably want to stay below 21%, but you don't have a DPF so if you really wanted to you could burn 100%.

#11 ·
Yeah since i cannot get bio around here i'm gonna use it as an additive until we get B20 at least. I'm actually going to pensacola, fl in a couple weeks to go on vacation and i'm gonna pick me up about 10-20gal of B100 from T-Gill fuels. If anybody who is on my route down there wants some let me know and i can pick you some up. Just pm me and we can work out payment and delivery. They have B100 and I called yesterday and as of now it's $3.05 a gal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.