Burning used motor oil, now big problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids > Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Chat Room

Bio-Diesel/Alternative Fuels and Supplements Bio-Diesel and related Discussion. Ask Questions and discuss what has worked for you here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aoelian
Freeze Plug

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Burning used motor oil, now big problem

Hello all, yesterday I changed my oil and poured the entire 2 gallons of hot motor oil into my fuel tank thinking that because it was hot, it would just dissolve into the full tank of fuel I had and all would be good.

Well apparently that didnt happen, I started it up this morning and it ran ok for maybe 30 seconds, then it started getting a little combustion knock, check engine light came on, and it has gotten hard to start.

Im hoping the fuel became too dark for the optical sensor to see thru. i have dtc 17 18 35 54.

Ive drained all but a gallon or so of the fuel out of the tank, and will replace with fresh diesel later this evening and see what happens.

I was wondering, with the fuel being much darker, almost black, WOULD that be enough to cuase these problems, or have i done more serious damage to say the injector pump?

Any thought plz,

Thanks

95 GMC K2500(8600lb gvwr) 202,000 miles,6.5l td ,4L80e, 4.10's no cat, new downpipe and crossover, 3 inch racing glasspack muffler with turndown, new heads, new 235/85/16 gy wranglers,fresh turbo rebuild, runs nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
dentpusha
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to dentpusha

Lone Star Diesels Member

Im Sure The Fuel Filter Didnt Like That.2 Gallons Or 2 Qts...HAD TO EDIT I DIDNT SEE THAT IT WAS A 6.5.IM NOT TO KEEN ON THOSE

Last edited by dentpusha; 01-16-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
DieselBeast65
Diesel Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DieselBeast65

Buckeye Oil Burners Member

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

I wouldn't try that again, motor oil will leave alot carbon buildup in pistons and heads, hard on the fuel system, and its just not something that you should do again, I would flush the fuel system and definitely change the fuel filter a few times!! Let this be a lesson why one shouldn't use motor oil as fuel.
2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD LT3, LBZ, CCSB, Banks intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, downpipe, autometer cobalt boost, pryo, and rail pressure, Profab EGR delete, EFI live dsp5/V2, Cognito UCA's, pitman/idler braces, rare parts tie rods, and bilstein 5100's all around.

SOLD and greatly missed -1996 GMC K2500, 6.5 Turbo Diesel, L65 HO VIN F, 4L80E, 14 Bolt Rear - 10.5" Ring Gear, 3.73, Factory Locker - G80 , dual thermostats, GEP Heads, ARP head studs, 4" straight pipe, 2.5" warpspeed crossover, Autometer Ultra-lite Boost Gauge, pyro, tranny temp, semi air horn, Recon Marker lights, high idle switches, HP4 and Turbo-Master, vacuum pump delete, Powermaster Gear-reduction Starter

-2006 Jetta TDI, 45mpg

Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
chevylover
Diesel Head

Send a message via Skype™ to chevylover

Europe Member

There are still people who thinks, that they can run used motor oil as fuel or fuel additive. Sorry, but the only thing i can thought about this is "dumb, really dumb !".

NEVER runs motor oil, either new or used as fuel or fuel additve.

Spend a few bucks more to buy a additve like standyne, 911, diesel kleen, to name a few or usa 2-STROKE-OIL ! THIS OIL IS MADE FOR BURNING !

Cu,
Sven

BTW : Get the crap out of your fuel system, flush it, change the filter a few times and hope, the porblem is gone.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
moss022
Diesel Prodigy

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylover View Post
There are still people who thinks, that they can run used motor oil as fuel or fuel additive. Sorry, but the only thing i can thought about this is "dumb, really dumb !".

NEVER runs motor oil, either new or used as fuel or fuel additve.

Spend a few bucks more to buy a additve like standyne, 911, diesel kleen, to name a few or usa 2-STROKE-OIL ! THIS OIL IS MADE FOR BURNING !

Cu,
Sven

BTW : Get the crap out of your fuel system, flush it, change the filter a few times and hope, the porblem is gone.
to date, nothing has worked better on my balance rates(duramax). even running 2 gals though out the winter per tank. however, i do filter mine before i pour it in.

oh yeah, just call me dumb 80k+ miles, balance rates have never been better.

Aoelian, did you pour the oil in first then fill it up?

RCC member #25
Team Twisted
http://dieselx.com/
Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
typhoon
Diesel Apprentice

Hey Moss, what are balance rates?

As for mixing dirty old oil in the fuel, that is plain insane. The reason the oil is black is becuase of all the deposits in it......and now you want to throw that crap into your injctors, and pump. You have the balls.! Hopefully it all works out.

The saying "A little knowledge is dangerous", comes to mind.

We should start a thread of all the silly things we have tried, we could all have a good laugh, maybe call it, "the jokes on me" thread! hahaha. But I'm not going to be the first.
98 2500 GMC Xtended Cab, 3.73 gears, 265/65/16 rubber, long box, 4X4, 6.5, with GM 8 turbo, Marine injectors. Boost gauge and D.I.Y. T/M set for 12-13 psi. Mandrel cross over pipe. Warpspeed four inch exhaust/w muffler w/five inch S.S. tip, Heath HP4.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
dmaxvaz
Diesel Nut

i did the same thing to my 97 6.5td about a month ago, and it instantly ran like crap because of the dirty motor oil, optic sensors dont like dark oil. i will not do that again!
02 2500hd 4x4 ccsb d/a, twin compound turbos by me (S480 AND STOCK IHI WITH 40mm JGS WG, 45 PSI BOOST), TOMAN TUNING dsp5, banks 4" exhaust, suncoast 4 w/1057, LBZ cp3, superdiesel manifold, edlebrock 1792 lp, nicktane filtration, cognito braces, fabtech inner/outer tierods, superdiesel super centerlink, rancho rs9000xl shocks, 305/70/16 hancook a/t, bushwhaker cut out flares, energy suspension poly bushings upper and lower control arms. line-x from body line to rockers, and a roll pan. all play and less work! special thanks to: eric at merchant automotive, michael oakes from super diesel, tim kahalisky from hi-tech transmissions, and jeff toman from toman industries, and turbo6.5joe(my bro)

Last edited by dmaxvaz; 01-16-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
FIREFIGHTER 503
Diesel Apprentice

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

There are a lot of opinions floating here without experience evidently. I have been burning my used engine oil in with my fuel for about 15 years in all sorts of diesels, Cummins, Cat, John Deere, Powerstroke, Duramax, etc. and have never had one problem with pump, injectors, or any part of the fuel system on any of them. The only trouble it has ever caused me, is it don't want to flow through a Duramax fuel filter very good when it's cold and you pour a whole oil change in when the tank is less then half full. One of the engines is a 855 Cummins with over 700,000 miles at 600HP and the only thing done to it has been to run the overhead (adjust the valves). Been burning all it's own oil changes since it was new. I just cant see changing my ways with the success I've had.
P.S. On a tractor with a consistent load, I see 2 psi. more boost with the oil in the fuel at 5% mix.

2007 CLASSIC 2500HD LBZ/ALLISON-GRANITE BLUE-CREW CAB 4X4
EGR MADE INTO A FUEL HEATER TO RUN BIO/WASTE OIL
Dually Club Member #552
2006 4X4 LBZ CC Dually (I kept it stock almost a whole day)
2001 4X4 LB7 ECSB Pewter SOLD
2001 4X4 LB7 CCSB Dark Red, SOLD
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Legend

The Suburban Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREFIGHTER 503 View Post
There are a lot of opinions floating here without experience evidently. I have been burning my used engine oil in with my fuel for about 15 years in all sorts of diesels, Cummins, Cat, John Deere, Powerstroke, Duramax, etc. and have never had one problem with pump, injectors, or any part of the fuel system on any of them. The only trouble it has ever caused me, is it don't want to flow through a Duramax fuel filter very good when it's cold and you pour a whole oil change in when the tank is less then half full. One of the engines is a 855 Cummins with over 700,000 miles at 600HP and the only thing done to it has been to run the overhead (adjust the valves). Been burning all it's own oil changes since it was new. I just cant see changing my ways with the success I've had.
P.S. On a tractor with a consistent load, I see 2 psi. more boost with the oil in the fuel at 5% mix.
Did you filter it first? or just dump the dirty oil. I think he dumped 7 quarts of straight dirty oil?
Leroy Diesel Oil Cooler Line
4" Warpspeed Exhaust
Kennedy Diesel LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
AD244 Alternator
Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
FIREFIGHTER 503
Diesel Apprentice

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

I use a very clean bucket or pan to catch it and pour it right in. I figure the oil has been through the engine oil filter thousands of times already. It may make a difference that I try not to let my oil get extremely black before I change it.

2007 CLASSIC 2500HD LBZ/ALLISON-GRANITE BLUE-CREW CAB 4X4
EGR MADE INTO A FUEL HEATER TO RUN BIO/WASTE OIL
Dually Club Member #552
2006 4X4 LBZ CC Dually (I kept it stock almost a whole day)
2001 4X4 LB7 ECSB Pewter SOLD
2001 4X4 LB7 CCSB Dark Red, SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.