Diesel Place banner

Fuel additive and type of fuel you were using when it gelled?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mtchard 
#1 ·
I'm just curious, for the people that were using Stanadyne and Power Service, what kind of fuel were you using when it gelled? I have been using Power Service and will be switching to Stanadyne but I have been fortunate enough not have any gelling problems yet. :)

However, I have been using blended diesel (50% #1) as well when it gets 10 degrees or below zero. We have lots of diesel options up here from winter #2, to blended, and straight #1. I assume the combination of the fuel additive and blended diesel is lowering the cold pour point low enough to where I haven't had any problems yet. It has been as cold at -25 degrees so far this winter. Fortunately, my unheated garage still keeps it about 20 degrees warmer than outside.

#2 ·
Here's what I've had.

#2 ULSD from BP no treatment - gelled/waxed in filter - (+19*f)
#2 ULSD from BP PS White Bottle - gelled/waxed in filter - (+5*f) x 2
#2 ULSD from Gas City, 2X dosage PS White - gelled/waxed - (+2*f)
#2 ULSD from BP with 9 gallons #1 Kerosene @ Speedway - gelled/waxed (-5*f)

Switched to Stanadyne and Speedway fuel, no more issues yet...but it really hasn't been cold enough to tell yet. Today it went down to 5* with no issues. I'll keep posting if something else happens. :)

#3 ·
luckily mine hasn't been as drastic as tomrex, but we are only a few miles from each other.

I've been using double dose of PS and Citgo fuels (most likely #2 as it isn't labeled) and it's gelled twice. once when zero outside. The first time when it was approx 20 outside. My last fillup was with Speedway (forget to check what blend) and I'm still using a double dose of PS. No issues the past few days when temps have been anywhere from -3 to 17 with wind chills of -30. I'm not ready to say my issues have been solved, but for the time being I'm avoiding Citgo, which may be a moot point anyway with Hugo Chavez

#4 ·
maybe I'm missing something but I haven't been gelled, back a few weeks ago it was -10* to 5*, Never Been Gelled, straight #2, with a normal dose of PS. Oh and its been outside this whole time. I didn't plug it in the first week and it took a few cranks but she fired right up. Then I started to plug her in at night. Still no gelling issues.

#5 ·
As I have shared on about 5 other winter threads on this site, there are some #2 ULSD's which are totally unreactive to *any* winter fuel additive. Period... We have spent mucho dollars laboratory testing fuels and some react wonderfully while others do absolutely nothing to lower CFPP.
Thus, it is a bit of a crapshoot when purchasing fuels out of a pump; one may not have any additive in their arsenal which is going to provide any cold flow protection with some fuels.... i.e. the Russian Roulette...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

#7 ·
With all your lab testing, did you identify any ULSD that did WORSE RE: gelling when post-retail treated?

There are several guys that have been posting that they use no additives and have had good success to -27* (fire0021 & others)

#6 ·
I have been out of standyne for a month (too lazy and broke to order more) have been running stright #2 with no gel no issues at all an we have had a few days of 20 below morrings. The father inlaw has had none either in his LLY

#8 ·
Is there anyway to test your fuel to see what the gell point is? The station I fill up at says the fuel is blended but it makes me wonder what exactly I am getting. In my area I have ULSD and LSD. Does one have a lower gell point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.