Anyone making their own Diesel?? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Maintenance & Fluids
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Chat Room

Maintenance & Fluids Discuss products, techniques, intervals, and fluids for maintaining your GM truck including oil and oil additives, fuel and fuel additives, alternative fuels (Bio-D, SVO, WVO), filters, grease, and maintenance specific tools.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
jj500
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The methanol is from a local supplier,cost 140 a barrel and the KOH comes from a local soap making supply place at 50 dollars for a 50 pound bag.Cost me 25 for methanol and 4 dollars for a 50 gallon batch,Total 29 dollars= .58 cents per gallon.Gota love it.I understand that methanol can vary depending on where you are,luckily its pretty cheap around here.I live in NW Oregon.

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
moosecountry
Diesel Apprentice

I am jealous...Meth is almost double that here in NH. And lye is about 4x that, I def. have to find a new supplier if I was to go larger scale. It is nice to do it myself and I love tinkering, but economically it doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless I can really save some cash!

Tim

Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rockin C Racing
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin C Racing

jj500 - I'm in Vancouver and would love to know where you are getting your Methanol from???? Tarr Inc. was charging $140 a year ago, but found that they were using an outdated pricing sheet and it is now up around $200 a barrel.

Smitty - again just do research, but (this is my opinion) the appleseed style aka hot water heater style is not very safe. That is one of the biggest reasons I did not go the cheap route. Not saying you couldn't go that way, just way the pros and cons and do what you think is best for you.
Many other toys

Portland Diesel Place Chapter Member #5
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
instarx
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing;1808394;
Smitty - again just do research, but (this is my opinion) the appleseed style aka hot water heater style is not very safe. That is one of the biggest reasons I did not go the cheap route. Not saying you couldn't go that way, just way the pros and cons and do what you think is best for you.
Can I ask why you think hot water heater reaction veseels are not safe? They are just an insulated drum, and the process is never pressurized. The esterfication reaction itself is very benign (not heat producing or fast, and is self-limiting). True, the methanol is flammable and the KOH is caustic, but those issues are common to all biodiesel production.
  • Currently not running due to broken connecting rod
"New" vehicle - 2000 Volvo V70 AWD turbo wagon (gas) - owned six months and I STILL wait for the glow plugs!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rockin C Racing
Diesel Boss

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockin C Racing

The ones I saw and read about along time ago showed them heating the oil with the hot water element. To me you are asking for trouble if that is accidentaly left on or shorts out when their is methanol added. I've seen pics from one of the local Fire Departments when they have responded to a house fire and found one of these units in the garage and the cause of the fire. Just my opinion when you have something that is flamable and have the chance of some sort of spark/ignition in the same enclosed area. Yes I know that plastic can generate static electricity, but I made sure I have a ground wire hooked to my system and to a solid ground. Not saying this will always happen, but is just my opinion.
Many other toys

Portland Diesel Place Chapter Member #5
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
moosecountry
Diesel Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing;1808662;
The ones I saw and read about along time ago showed them heating the oil with the hot water element. To me you are asking for trouble if that is accidentaly left on or shorts out when their is methanol added. I've seen pics from one of the local Fire Departments when they have responded to a house fire and found one of these units in the garage and the cause of the fire. Just my opinion when you have something that is flamable and have the chance of some sort of spark/ignition in the same enclosed area. Yes I know that plastic can generate static electricity, but I made sure I have a ground wire hooked to my system and to a solid ground. Not saying this will always happen, but is just my opinion.
There have been a several first hand accounts of the heater being left on accident while draining the glycerin and oil. The reports are that the fire was minimal and the smoke and fumes escaped through the vent. It was not even a large enough reaction to force open the pressure relief on the top of the tank. The equipment was fine to continue using.

I would not hesitate to use the appleseed method, it has been tested. As with ANYTHING, something could happen but you take that risk with any method of biodiesel production, nothing is fool proof.

Tim
Old 06-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
jj500
Diesel Fanatic

The appleseed is actually safer than a lot of other methods like MC said.It is a contained unit with a safety valve and yes it could pop if you leave the heating element on while introducing the methanol mixture but like all things in life this requires a little common sense to operate properly.All the accidents resulting in fires or property destruction have resulted from carelessness or lack of attention paid to details,same as anything else in life.I would much rather use an appleseed than a plastic tank or metal barrel to react the mixture in because of the built in safety factor of the vessel itself.You can vent it outside and it has a built in pop off valve but the reaction does not cause a lot of pressure build up anyway.I have seem some of the fires caused by the Fuelmeister units because of the heat caused by the reaction,so any of them can be unsafe if operated improperly.So if your going to do something stupid then better to do it in a pressure tank that can contain it when you leave the heater on!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
feetfats
Diesel Starter

I watched myth busters today on discovery channel and they took a diesel car , probably about ten years old, and they filterd wvo with a coffe filter or something like that and then just ran it in their car and it ran fine..... The test was only about 8 miles .... Why aren't people doing this will the car crater after a few more miles or something.... or is it just that we cant do that with our high pressure fuel systems found on the duramaxes etc?

Soon to come:
PCV mod, 2" lift, Bigger tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.