Diesel Place banner

Diesel Additive

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  redneckbuckeye 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am new here, 2nd post, what diesel additive would you reccomend? Today was -14 outside and my truck ran like ****! It would kill at intersections, could hardly get it over 20 mph, and It kept throwing a low fuel pressure code, but I kept clearing it with the edge. So I limped it to a local truck stop first thing this morning and bought a diesel additive, then filled the other half of my tank with a good winter blend. Drove around for about a half hour and it started going away. I had a 3 hour journey, and It was completly gone. Do you think its just from bad gas? I bought the gas from a holiday station in MN, you think it would be a winter blend? Also, would plugging it in be of any help? This is my first diesel truck, so you can laugh if these are stupid questions. Just for the record, I have always owned chevy trucks, just decided to upgrade to more power! Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Bob, take a gander through the fluids discussion threads listed here underneath the thread that you just posted. Take a minute to see whats already in there. Chances are your question(s) have already been answered. You'll be reading for weeks.

I personally run Stanadyne in every fill up. Some use Power Services. Those are the two most popular.

#3 ·
Yeah, power service is what I used today. Seem to have worked. Thanks. I like ams oil, gonna check their products tomarrow.

#4 ·
Unit453;1572678; said:
I personally run Stanadyne in every fill up.
x2:)

#5 ·
I ran Power Services every tank with my 04.5 LLY and never had a problem and got pretty decent mileage too.

Since I've moved 1800 miles further north, I figured Stanadyne would get my business due to sub zero temps. So far, so good.

#6 ·
You guys make me feel guilty :(
7K and I have never ran any supplements what so ever... My poor dually.

#7 ·
Plugging in your truck won't stop the fuel from gelling. Using good additive will. I would recommend keeping a bottle of Power Service Diesel 911 or an emergency anti gel like that for just such an issue. I always treat havy when I know a cold blast is coming. It's -10 here right now. I have Hydrotex Power Kleen Arctic in now. The Power Service and Schaeffers is good too. You guys around MI or anywhere there's Meijer Stores or filling stations, Meijer used Scheaffers in their diesel to winterize it.

#8 ·
BigBadAllis;1573150; said:
Plugging in your truck won't stop the fuel from gelling. Using good additive will. I would recommend keeping a bottle of Power Service Diesel 911 or an emergency anti gel like that for just such an issue.
makes sense since the heater is for engine coolant. looks like I have another errand to run this evening. thanks.

#9 ·
Just picked up a case of ams oil cold flow improver diesel additive. Will have some feedback in a few days if it works or not. Or if someone has tried it, please give some feedback also.

#10 ·
Well, seems like its working so far. After the usual 25 min warm up, I have full power right out of the driveway. Its called cold flow improver by amsoil. its 6.50 a bottle, and treats 80 gal.

#11 ·
As mentioned previously it's a good idea to keep a bottle of something like PS 911 with you. Better yet is to treat your fuel before it get's really cold with a pour depressant. I use Texas Refinery Corp's DZL-PEP Arctic in the winter at a ratio of 1:1,000 to lower my gel point 25 degree's F. Cost me $34.90 pr/gal in a 6 gallon pail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.