Diesel Place banner

Kodiak ate the transmission

6K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  07yellowkodiak 
#1 ·
Well after 300k miles the Allison transmission decided it no longer wanted to go on. I was loaded up with my small motorcycle trailer and gear heading out for a bike trip and as I was leaving I heard a noise followed by what sounded like plastic or something dragging under the truck. Thankfully I was a few miles from home so I limped it to my dealer where we put up on jackstands to isolate location of noise. The grinding sound is coming d
from the rear housing of the transmission. They called me Friday to say the transmission needs to be replaced and gave me a price on a Jasper Reman which honestly I would never run. So I'm heading down to the dealer today to take a look at what failed and see what options they have to offer. Anyone on here replace a transmission? I haven't begun to search what's available, suggestions? ATS? Sunbelt? I really can't complain as the OEM Allison went over 300k with nothing more than regular maintenance which has me thinking I may just explore that option but the performance option is always a good idea.

#4 ·
Interesting, I ran an ATS in my Dodge and it was great, I'll check out Suncoast. If it can survive Johnny it can survive anything!!! :hehe: I

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Thanks Jager, I'm reaching out to them this morning to get information. How you liking the new diesel pusher?

#7 ·
. . . . How you liking the new diesel pusher?
Good luck with the tranny.

It is going to be baptism by fire starting Thursday night. We leave for our first camping trip in the coach. The dam thing is just overly complicated. My wife is trying to figure out how to direct video feed from one place to another and I'm worried about how to turn the heat on. We're going camping in the Adirondack's and it can get pretty chilly at night (40's). I'm sure we'll be fine. Always looking forward to the next adventure.

Reactions: Soundsgreat
#9 ·
I'm going to call him today, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling speaking to the guys at Suncoast to be honest. They seemed confused about what the truck needs, that's not a good way to start off a conversation.

#10 ·
So Mike can't help me unless I can get the truck to him in California :( We spoke and he suggested calling the guys at Fleece Performance. I spoke with Scott, now the trick is getting truck shipped to him in Indiana. They can do the build for far less than the OEM reman from GM and activate 6th gear :clap:

Anyone want to make some money??? I need to to have Kodiak trailered to them in Indiana from Baltimore, who's interested?

Reactions: ronjhall
#11 ·
I didn't think they'd need the whole truck? I thought you'd be able to just ship the tranny. I'd love to help you out with the shipping but don't have the time or equipment. You need to find a hot-shotter. Probably going to run you $1,000 - $1,500 to get the truck there. Once fixed you could always fly there and driver her back.

#12 · (Edited)
Yes and no...so Fleece said they could do it with only my transmission however, they would not offer any warranty if they did not do the install of the transmission for obvious reasons and could not do 6th gear flash. Not to mention if I shipped trans out and back it was about the same freight as shipping truck one way. Plus it would be done right in about 2 weeks vrs 3-4 and of course we may just do a Cheeta turbo since it's there ya know...why not :hole:

She was picked up on Sat and delivered this morning, now its in Scott's hands. I'll keep everyone posted on build out status. Should be picking it up 2-3 weeks from now. Sad Pic here....

Attachments

#13 ·
Cheeta turbo????? You been drinking Johnny's KoolAid ?:hehe:

#14 ·
So the OEM one went 300k, why not just put an OEM one back in? Unless your planning on making big power or lots of heavy towing. I'm sure I'm gonna be in the minority but it seems simple.

#15 ·
I think you did good. If they build it with alittle extra say like a stage V then I would be that it would last the rest of the trucks lifetime. Cost difference isn't that bad either if you plan on keeping the truck.

#16 · (Edited)
I thought about doing an OEM replacement but like many things with Diesels I've learned over the years aftermarket parts are usually less money and offer much more performance. A stock reman Allison from GM through my dealer was 8k not including labor. For less than 6k I can get a bad ass built Allison from Fleece that will hold way more than the stock plus give me 6th gear as my 06 only uses 5, we all know the deal with that.

As for the Cheetah turbo we'll see, but again aftermarket out performs and way less price than stock. I have a feeling the OEM is going to die sooner rather than later with that much time on it so might as well do both and know she's solid for years of boost to come :hehe:

Fleece called me today and gave me an update. Turns out my core is all but useless, figures right? Jason said he's blown away that it even moved. Apparently from what they can tell (serious shrapnel) the trust bearing blew apart and sent needle bearings, metal shavings all kinds of good crap flying into the case, damaging everything including the planetary gears. So they have located a 6spd core and its on order. Should arrive next week and they can begin the build.

#17 ·
Try George Alexander in Baltimore. 410-960-6015 Hard to get ahold of, so try texting him first.

If he cant fit you into his schedule, then try Evan Drosehn at Limitless Diesel in Dalton, Mass 413-770-3585. Not that close, but within a day's drive.

Both those men are considered to be two of the top echelon Allison builders out there.

#18 ·
Too late now, truck is out at Fleece was delivered on Monday as I need to get it repaired and back so I can use it for it. Good to know moving forward, though I think with this Fleece Built Suncoast set up I'll be solid for a long time.

#19 ·
Just spoke with Scott, I'm flying out to Indy Friday to pick her up...I can't wait :clap: Suncoast trans build with 6th gear activation, wound up doing the Cheetah turbo as well, with the miles on it made sense to just bite the bullet and have it done so I don't need to worry about it weeks or months from now. Also did a multi-level PPE set up and analog Boost and EGT Gauges so the Bullydog PMT will be removed. Should be fun to drive around MI this weekend and back home :thumb: I'll post some pics up and thoughts of everything once I get some seat time in.

#20 ·
Driving around MI means you may be lost. Because it is not on the way to anyplace but the UP. :hehe:
Enjoy the upgrades.

#21 ·
I have GPS :whistle: I've been there a few times, going potential house shopping :eek:

#23 ·
If work had an office there and offered me a position I'd be there ASAP trust me :thumb:

#24 ·
You will be surprised how far a dollar goes when buying a house compared to the East Coast. Just stay away from waterfront places. Not much cheap there.
What area are you looking?

#25 ·
Oh yea I'm seeing that now, its amazing what we have found. Looking in the Brighton area, my office would be in Novi if I take the offer and have to relocate. We are looking at a few houses this weekend, I found one on 17 Acre with a nice 40x50 separate garage ;) We have river view now in MD so lake view would be nice but wooded is fine with me too.

#26 ·
Watch taxes. All the township taxes are OK. Get in the village taxes double. My place is 1/2 way between Brighton and Novi. Still in Oakland county. Brighton is in Livingston county. About 15 miles from Ann Arbor. PM me if you got a few minutes for coffee.

#28 ·
I'm sure the taxes are way less than what we pay in MD. We'll be house shopping all day Saturday starting at 10am. We should be in town by 4ish on Fri. Be cool to grab a drink and chat about the area. I'll have my Kodiak so I'll be easy to spot :bigglasse: We are staying in Novi

#27 ·
Just out of curiosity, what kind of price range would a place like that have?

#29 ·
The one house is 3,000 sq/ft on 17 Acres the asking price $499,999. In the same price range the houses are a bit nicer, ie better amenities, trim, upgrades etc but have much less property, 1/2 acre to 1 acre. So it's a trade off right? Space, extra barn/garage and ability to sell off 5 acres makes 150k while still having 12 acres or have smaller property with a nice house still with a 3 car garage. The house is set way back in the woods and is a mile off the road so it has its advantages but many challenges as well, simple things like taking out the trash and cable/internet not to mention snow removal come winter time. All things to consider.

#30 ·
If you get a place like that you will spending a lot of time on Tractorbynet. A nice 30hp tractor with 4X4 and a bunch of attachment will take care of all the chores. :rolleyes:
We are not that far back in the woods up here. I have all the conveniences of the city folks without the closeness of a subdivision. :thumb:

#31 ·
that would be a minimum of about 750k here for a rural setting. If you wanted 3k sq ft
and a 1/2 acre lot closer in it would be more for sure :(

#33 ·
Exactly and that's if you can even find 17 Acres in your area. For a similar property in MD near me it would be 750k-1 Mil and the taxes would be insane. While I don't want to leave MD the more I look at things them more I feel motivated to relocate.

#32 ·
We are about 30 miles east of San francisco.

#34 · (Edited)
I went for the land and garage . . . we sold our last home bought land in the woods and built a place. My new garage is 60 x 64. The large side (40 x 60) is heated with 13' ceilings and the small side (24 x 60) is cold storage with 17' ceilings. I don't have it all setup yet but having a garage RULES ! ! !

You are correct about snow and utilities . . . our driveway is 800' long . . . literally. Our property is surrounding on 3 sides by "conserved land which can never be developed also. Pretty quiet except for the noise I make and no freaking home owners association! It was interesting and expensive clearing the lot and building a "driveway" out to the house.

And Ron . . . yup, Kubota M59 with a pile of attachments was definitely needed.

Reactions: luchenbach
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.