Medium Duty Specific EGT's - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Medium Duty Specific EGT's

Hey guys, I need some realistic EGT temps from your experiences while towing.

Here is the short story:

I bought my truck to tow two Jeeps on a gooseneck across the country. Half way through Kansas my turbo let go. If this motor can't handle the load I'll sell it and get one that can.

I run 1200 deg minimum with this load, 1250-1350 isn't uncommon on hills; I've hit 1400 which I've read can smoke a turbo.

http://www.bankspower.com/techarticl...T-is-Important

I realize that my LLY is the same as in a 2500 or 3500. Carrying around the extra weight of the 4500 is like my buddy's 2500 constantly towing a 3000 pound trailer.

These trucks are used commercially everyday to tow this kind of weight but most aren't 4x4 on 40's.

Is mine just not configured to tow? I have a Danville Performance turbo (now) a light EFI Live tune, full gauges, factory down pipe and just a Magnaflow muffler.

All of your input and opinions are appreciated. I know EGT's have been discussed before but I need to know specific to my application and how heavy you are towing and what you are seeing. I'm getting ready to tow from Louisville, KY to the Rubicon Trail this summer and I need a truck that is up to the task and won't leave me stranded again. (see this link for my last adventure Need help on side of road )

I don't think my tune is dumping too much fuel as I get no black smoke.

PLEASE HELP, if we can't figure this out, I'll turn this into a for sale thread
Attached Thumbnails
Medium Duty Specific EGT's-loaded-co-ut.jpg   Medium Duty Specific EGT's-gone.jpg   Medium Duty Specific EGT's-scale.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Is the pyro before or after the turbo?
Cruising RPM's at, say, 65 mph?
Flatland running, what boost to maintain, say, 65 mph?

Without knowing the truck, application, and duty cycles, I can only guess.
Does the turbine still spin?

Most, if not all turbos, will take 1600F sustained. As a rule, you'll melt a hole in a piston before you'll melt a turbo.

Is the air filter in good shape, ie...free to pass air?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
TYHLR
Diesel Fanatic

My stock turbo makes a screaching sound after a long climb. Im sure I hurt mine when I blew my stock plastic Intercooler. I have been looking into the same turbo you have and it is suppose to be the one to get for our trucks. I hope someone chimes in because mine is getting really bad.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
BigRedKodiak
Diesel Fanatic

Towing my boat, 16000 lbs, on the freeway @ 70, I'll be at 1150 EGT.
Any long and or steep hills will force me down to 55-65 @ 1200-1250.

I try to keep it under 1250 as much as I can. If I go over, it'll be 30 secs. or less.

A Lift pump helped me out alot with this truck.
I also have a light EFI live tune.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
Is the pyro before or after the turbo?
Cruising RPM's at, say, 65 mph?
Flatland running, what boost to maintain, say, 65 mph?

Without knowing the truck, application, and duty cycles, I can only guess.
Does the turbine still spin?

Most, if not all turbos, will take 1600F sustained. As a rule, you'll melt a hole in a piston before you'll melt a turbo.

Is the air filter in good shape, ie...free to pass air?
I'm going to get the truck out this weekend and pull all those kind of stats.

Probe is in the rear of the passenger side manifold, before turbo.

In the new turbo, it spins just fine

The air filter is a K&N and newly cleaned and oiled however I am looking into a different type of filter. I'll take suggestions on that too.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
01Duramax6spd
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Mines the same way . Egt's are always around 1200 on flat ground and on hills 1300-1400. I have stock turbo,strait pipe{stock size } and a pretty decent Danville tune. My engine and trans have also started getting hot recently. I'm thinking my fan clutch shit itself but thats not the answer for my EGT issue.
I'm weighing in at 45,000lbs though or better.

Which Danville turbo did you get?? I need to get a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG85JEEP View Post
Hey guys, I need some realistic EGT temps from your experiences while towing.

Here is the short story:

I bought my truck to tow two Jeeps on a gooseneck across the country. Half way through Kansas my turbo let go. If this motor can't handle the load I'll sell it and get one that can.

I run 1200 deg minimum with this load, 1250-1350 isn't uncommon on hills; I've hit 1400 which I've read can smoke a turbo.

http://www.bankspower.com/techarticl...T-is-Important

I realize that my LLY is the same as in a 2500 or 3500. Carrying around the extra weight of the 4500 is like my buddy's 2500 constantly towing a 3000 pound trailer.

These trucks are used commercially everyday to tow this kind of weight but most aren't 4x4 on 40's.

Is mine just not configured to tow? I have a Danville Performance turbo (now) a light EFI Live tune, full gauges, factory down pipe and just a Magnaflow muffler.

All of your input and opinions are appreciated. I know EGT's have been discussed before but I need to know specific to my application and how heavy you are towing and what you are seeing. I'm getting ready to tow from Louisville, KY to the Rubicon Trail this summer and I need a truck that is up to the task and won't leave me stranded again. (see this link for my last adventure Need help on side of road )

I don't think my tune is dumping too much fuel as I get no black smoke.

PLEASE HELP, if we can't figure this out, I'll turn this into a for sale thread
13 3500 crew cab long bed LML

Buy U.S. grown beef and tire tanks

Last edited by 01Duramax6spd; 01-23-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedKodiak View Post
Towing my boat, 16000 lbs, on the freeway @ 70, I'll be at 1150 EGT.
Any long and or steep hills will force me down to 55-65 @ 1200-1250.

I try to keep it under 1250 as much as I can. If I go over, it'll be 30 secs. or less.

A Lift pump helped me out alot with this truck.
I also have a light EFI live tune.
How did the lift pump? With EGT's?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Duramax6spd View Post
Mines the same way . Egt's are always around 1200 on flat ground and on hills 1300-1400. I have stock turbo,strait pipe{stock size } and a pretty decent Danville tune. My engine and trans have also started getting hot recently. I'm thinking my fan clutch shit itself but thats not the answer for my EGT issue.
I'm weighing in at 45,000lbs though or better.

Which Danville turbo did you get?? I need to get a new one.
I have the BMW 2.5 Stage 2
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
RobertWJacobson
Diesel Technician

Hello
I know that I am not a medium duty truck like yours is, but mine is a LLY like yours. I am thinking that you might need to look at a water injection system to cool your EGT's. My truck also runs high EGT's so I have a three stage water injection system on it. First stage comes on at 2-1/2 psi feeding 7 gallons an hour, second stage comes on at 5 psi feeding 5 gallon an hour and then the third stage progressive comes on at 7 maxing out at 15 psi feeding 14 gallon an hour. Definitely keeps the EGT's in check, helps clean out the gunk from the intake track from my PCV.

Just a thought,
Robert
2004.5 (aka 2005) overheater, White 3500 Dually crewcab longbed, Replaced engine December 2011, Banks ram air W/scoop, LBZ turbo mouthpiece, 3 stage water injection, 4" turboback exhaust, US Gear exhaust brake, B&W companion Hitch, sealed stack, 3" intercooler tubes, 3" downpipe. Edge juice w/attitude, oil temperature gauge, thermostatically controled external oil cooler below radiator.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
RobertWJacobson
Diesel Technician

You have the EGT probe, do you have a low boost pressure gauge? to be able to read the pressure between 0-5 psi. You are probably running low boost even on the flat causing the higher EGT's.
2004.5 (aka 2005) overheater, White 3500 Dually crewcab longbed, Replaced engine December 2011, Banks ram air W/scoop, LBZ turbo mouthpiece, 3 stage water injection, 4" turboback exhaust, US Gear exhaust brake, B&W companion Hitch, sealed stack, 3" intercooler tubes, 3" downpipe. Edge juice w/attitude, oil temperature gauge, thermostatically controled external oil cooler below radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.