Medium Duty Specific EGT's - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
ricko
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWJacobson View Post
Hello again
Are you in OD? I try both over drive and non overdrive, similar results just less power in OD.
How much boost is it producing on the flat?
Around 5psi on the flat.
What is your IAT?
Never payed attention to that.
Have you ever had the IC cleaned?
Nope, truck only has 40,000 miles on it.
I would think that the RPM would be right at 2000.
Are you running a performance tune?
Stock tuning.
ATP EFIlive, DSP5, Pro Fab downpipe into 4" MBRP straight pipe, All Season Diesel EGR delete,LB7 up pipe, FRPV plug, PCV rerouted,Cognito upper arms, Cognito Traction Bars, Bilstein 5100s, 20" KMC XD Misfits wrapped in 33X12.5R20 Nitto M/T
2005 Chevy 2500HD LLY EC/SB
DuramaxTuner.com EFIlive,DSP5, 4" MBRP straight pipe,3" MBRP downpipe, Suncoast Stage V transmission w/ brace, pump rub fixed, EGR blocked, PCV rerouted, AFE intake w/ mouthpiece, Air Dog II 165, Fabtech lift, custom traction bars, 20" KMC Spys w/ 35" Toyo MTs Autometer Cobalt EGT and Boost gauges, and more...
2007 C5500 CC
330hp LYE, Allison 1000 6spd, 60CA, 4.56, 4" exhaust,dpf/doc deleted, egr blocked, air ride, air cab, Koni Shocks, Tekonsha P3, Daddy Cool refrigerator console, Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
RobertWJacobson
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Okay from my experience, the boost is the thing producing the high EGT for you. It is the sustained demand and engine output that is doing it. From what I have learned on mine is that I would recommend a two stage water injection to keep the EGT's in check. First stage coming on at 2 to 2-1/2 psi second stage coming on at 4-1/2 to 5 psi. pushing about 7 gallons each, so you will need to have a rather large tank mounted somewhere on your truck. This will keep your EGT's in check on the flats to slight grades for the steeper grades or longer duration grades you will need the third stage progressive water injection pushing between 10 to 14 gallons per hour. All of these are automatic in their operation and the staging would need to be tailored to your individual truck and towing experience.

Robert
2004.5 (aka 2005) overheater, White 3500 Dually crewcab longbed, Replaced engine December 2011, Banks ram air W/scoop, LBZ turbo mouthpiece, 3 stage water injection, 4" turboback exhaust, US Gear exhaust brake, B&W companion Hitch, sealed stack, 3" intercooler tubes, 3" downpipe. Edge juice w/attitude, oil temperature gauge, thermostatically controled external oil cooler below radiator.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
RobertWJacobson
Diesel Technician

Just to make sure. I am not selling anything or recommending any brand of water injection. I am only saying what I have found to control my EGT's, and hoping that it will work for your truck also.
2004.5 (aka 2005) overheater, White 3500 Dually crewcab longbed, Replaced engine December 2011, Banks ram air W/scoop, LBZ turbo mouthpiece, 3 stage water injection, 4" turboback exhaust, US Gear exhaust brake, B&W companion Hitch, sealed stack, 3" intercooler tubes, 3" downpipe. Edge juice w/attitude, oil temperature gauge, thermostatically controled external oil cooler below radiator.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

I just made a quick trip to Atlanta weighing 25,000 lbs. I ran the whole way with the OD off and never topped 1200 degrees. I pulled Mt. Eagle in TN at 50 MPH. I even got slowed to 40 and was able to accelerate back up to 50. I'm going to get a new intercooler, redo the exhaust and look at the water/methanol system.

I was running about 2800 RPM at 65 MPH.

Can you guys please post up your RPM at 65 & 70 in OD?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
RobertWJacobson
Diesel Technician

This is with the OD on
I run 63MPH and am turning about 1900 RPM
At 70 it is about 2300 for me.

I have 3.73 gearing

With the OD off I was turning about 2300 RPM maintaining the 55 MPH.

I just brought my trailer home last night and was able to maintain 55 MPH up the grade with the OD off and kept my EGT under 1000. Yes it seemed like everything was passing me but I was happy maintaining the speed limit and the low EGT. I had just installed my 14 gallon nozzle before picking up the trailer. So at this point I am spraying somewhere between 17 to 21 gallons per hour. 7 gallons per hour on the first stage and 10 to 14 on the progressive stage. Thinking of putting a second stage steady ahead of the progressive to take up the difference between them.

Robert
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Jager
Diesel Master

08 Kodiak 4500, 4WD, 5.13 gears, 6 speed, run around 2200 at 73mph

2014 Chevy 2500HD LZT, CC, 4x4, d-max, buckets, stock mechanical 3/20/14

Traded :-( 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT crew cab 4x4, D-max (LBZ)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
bamfm7
Diesel Technician

I cant help you out with cruising egts....cant remember. I pull a 42' 5th wheel camper (not the one in my avatar) I have the K&N air filter, 4" exhaust from the down pipe back. I am running a EFI tow tune from ATP (idaho Rob). On long wide open up hill pulls my egt gauge gets to 1250. I did the 6th gear upgrade and I cruise at 72mph @ 2300 rpm. IMO if you can get the air in and out of the engine I would look into the tune. The tune may be a little hot for the load your pulling. ***one thing I would look into is the engine tune. When I first got a hold of my EFI LIVE I loaded in a STOCK engine tune from a 1 ton pickup. Wide open it worked ok, But cruising and normal acceleration the EGTs were really HOT. I do not have an explaination for this but I know for a fact that a pick up tune will not work in my truck. Maybe the cams are different????

SOLD....but not gone`03 CC SB, 3" Down pipe, 4" back, K&N Intake, ATS converter+co-pilot, ALTO clutches+steels, Runs on SVO/WVO ....EFI LIVE, DSP 5, LBZ CP3, Turbo Intake Horn Mod, And Cold shot Water/Meth injection, Vision wheels 245-70-19.5
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
Sprj8008
Diesel Fanatic

Try running the stock tune and see what the temps are. I'd bet you can deal with this in tuning. I had problems with the tune being too hot with a heavy trailer. Downshifting helped, but overall it was just too hot. Smoke isn't an indicator. Same amount of fuel with no air will smoke. Add more aid and cylinder pressures and heat increase. Head gaskets don't like the pressure and the pistons don't like the heat. Either way it gets expensive. Methanol might be an option. More timing might give you some relief...
Talk to the guy who's done your tuning...

2011 LML CCSB, 2009 LMM C&C, 2008 LMM C&C

08 LMM CCSB - EGR blocker - DPF delete - onboard air and bags - EFI LIVE - Audio by MBRP
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
BIG85JEEP
Diesel Technician

I know there are a few good EFI Live tuners. Do you guys think any of them have the medium duty truck figured out better than the others?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Master

My engine EGT's run at 850 with a 60 hp tune. On steep hills they climb to 1200+. But never over 1300. Maybe it is my load. It's usually 23,000 lbs. I am using a VDO analog gauge.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 23,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 67,000 miles 10.3 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.