Power Steering Filter - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fozzy
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Power Steering Filter

How often do you guys replace this filter? Do any of you have a part number for it. I called my local NAPA and they told me to take it out and bring it in because there are many different sizes. I think it is bad because I can see oil shooting out of the top of the filter. I would also like to know if any of you put Transyn in place of the dextrin III. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Master

I changed mine last year. Part was pricey from GM. Here is a thread on the filter. Steering Filter Part Number

I drained mine out with return line to reservoir. Put fresh oil in. Ran engine until oil was gone from reservoir. Did this 3 times until fresh oil started coming out return line. Turned steering wheel side to side. Also pressed brake pedal to get oil changed in hydro boost motor. Used Dexron III.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 23,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 67,000 miles 10.3 mpg.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fozzy
Diesel Technician

Thanks, Man. I typed in "power steering filter" and it only came back with a bunch of tranny filter threads. My oil is very dark compared to the photo in that tread. I will change it out this week. I only have 25K on my truck wonder if something is going bad?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Master

Changed mine at 50K Old stuff was very dark. Doing brake fluid and power steering fluid did not seem to change anything. But does give me peace of mind that it was done. Brake fluid was very dark. Almost black after 6 years and 50K.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 23,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Master

I used the Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush thread as a guide to change the power steering fluid.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
gasuout
Glamis Kodiak

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Funny you ask this Fozz .... Been thinking about changing this on mine too .

My oil is getting really dark and never changed mine to date . 78k on the clock .

Also my hoses on hydroboost are all starting to get little cracks in them .

Only changed my power steering lines to date that were leaking at the svivels .

Post back what you find on this ... and no I never used transynd in here ... only in trans .

Last edited by gasuout; 08-15-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fozzy
Diesel Technician

Well, I did the filter and fluid change. The Napa 7131 is the right filter. I used a vacuum bottle to change it out. Sucked all the oil form the bottle then pulled the filter and stuck the hose of the vacuum in to both the suction and return line and sucked them dry. The filter works on the return side of the booster pump. Refilled with one quart and ran the truck and let it get ran threw the system and sucked it out again. I posted that it was Dextron III it is actually Dextron VI that goes in there. I almost put Transyn in, but at the last minute decided I had no leaks or bad seal and want to keep it that way. Dexron VI is a pure synthetic so I think Transyn would work. I used 2.5 quarts to drain and refill the system and bought 4 quarts and the filter for under $40. No mess with the vacuum bottle and piece of mind. The stock filter was blown out at the top and letting the oil flow threw it without being filtered. The oil and filter where very dark but nothing I could see that would worry me and it did not smell burnt. Thanks for everyones input and help. One more thing of my list.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jager
Diesel Master

Thanks for the post Fozzy. I don't have any need to do this yet but down the road I'm sure I will.

2014 Chevy 2500HD LZT, CC, 4x4, d-max, buckets, stock mechanical 3/20/14

Traded :-( 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT crew cab 4x4, D-max (LBZ)
Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
gasuout
Glamis Kodiak

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for the heads up on this Fozz . I need to do this to and see the fluid coming out the top of mine to . Im guessing mine probably looks like your filter too .
Old 10-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
route 5 repair
Diesel Enthusiast

2005 Kodiak ZF Power steering filter

ACDelco part # 88892858 GM# same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.