2000 C6500 Parking Brake Problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
4x4 Nut
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2000 C6500 Parking Brake Problem

Hello, we have a 2000 C6500 Kodiak with a parking brake problem. The truck has a Cat engine, AT, and hydraulic brakes. The parking brake is the electric over hydraulic type that activates a tranny mounted drum brake. The shoes are in good condition yet and adjustments are fine. The control part has been acting up. At times the pump runs, but won't build pressure to release. Tapping the solenoid valve seems to get it working. The pump is also working intermittently with sometimes not coming on and therefore not releasing the brake. The cylinder is leaking some too. The truck has low miles on it, but is a bucket truck to do overhead cable work so it has a lot of idle time and the parking brake gets set and released a lot to move short distances.

I've searched and it seems this type system can be known for problems and some have converted to a good ole mechanical lever. Does anyone know if these trucks were available with mechanical brakes? If so, what does it take to convert and short of new at the dealer, does anyone have a suggestion for locating the parts? I've called a couple of truck salvage yards without luck. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
LtEng5
Diesel Master

CT Smoke Member

tapping the solenoid sounds like the plunger is sticking; replace solenoid....the pump working intermittently could be the relay is getting tired; replace relay.....the contact pints inside the relay wear out over time and you state that it turns on/off frequently and that cycling is what wears the contact points out...so it seems early in life compared to the miles

other than converting to a full air brake system; not sure on what options you have.....over the years electric over hydraulic systems have been found to be problematic and feeling weak to the drivers when trying to stop....

2012 Chevy Cruze Eco 1.4L Turbo 6sp

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
4x4 Nut
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I know what it would take to repair the system, but I'd rather scrap it and put in a manual lever instead. That would solve all the problems without worrying about reoccurrance in the future. Any suggestions on that? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
2001_6500
Diesel Enthusiast

2000 C6500 Brake Problem

Hi, I am having some of the same issues with my brake on my 2001 C6500. I have electric over hydraulic with my brake locked up. I was just wondering how you made out, or what you did to solve your problem? Also did you find any manuals that would help?
Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
4x4 Nut
Diesel Enthusiast

I was able to install a mechanical hand brake assembly & get it working nicely. The bracket to mount the lever to the kick panel of the cab was discontinued so I had to build one, but everything else was available through GM. It took some investigating because there are so many different options- especially for the cable, but I should have all the part numbers written down. The other thing that took a little thought was getting the warning system working right. I removed the control box completely & it ended up only needing a simple wire install. I have the truck at the shop right now & can look at the brake tomorrow if you'd like.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Carlk
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtEng5 View Post
tapping the solenoid sounds like the plunger is sticking; replace solenoid....the pump working intermittently could be the relay is getting tired; replace relay.....the contact pints inside the relay wear out over time and you state that it turns on/off frequently and that cycling is what wears the contact points out...so it seems early in life compared to the miles

other than converting to a full air brake system; not sure on what options you have.....over the years electric over hydraulic systems have been found to be problematic and feeling weak to the drivers when trying to stop....
Where is the location of the relay, can you buy the solenoid and relay at the Chevrolet dealer?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
SQ is the SQUAD
Diesel Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SQ is the SQUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 Nut View Post
I was able to install a mechanical hand brake assembly & get it working nicely. The bracket to mount the lever to the kick panel of the cab was discontinued so I had to build one, but everything else was available through GM. It took some investigating because there are so many different options- especially for the cable, but I should have all the part numbers written down. The other thing that took a little thought was getting the warning system working right. I removed the control box completely & it ended up only needing a simple wire install. I have the truck at the shop right now & can look at the brake tomorrow if you'd like.

i am looking to do this to my truck this weekend. i m going to go to the junk yard this weekend and take the hand brake and cable out a parts truck. is there anything special i have to do to remove the power brake box? do i have the change the lever on the trans brake or are they both the same?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
SQ is the SQUAD
Diesel Enthusiast

i got another related question. when your brakes lock up, is it the hydrolic brakes (calipers) locking up? i am having an issue with now with my rear calipers locking up. my truck came with the power parking brake set up. that was removed my precious owner and a line lock was put in place. i recently had my ps pump die. of course power brakes went with it and my rear calipers are locking up. not sure if its the line lock failing or if this power brake setup can actually activate the hydrolic rear brake and lock them on its own.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Carlk
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD View Post
i got another related question. when your brakes lock up, is it the hydrolic brakes (calipers) locking up? i am having an issue with now with my rear calipers locking up. my truck came with the power parking brake set up. that was removed my precious owner and a line lock was put in place. i recently had my ps pump die. of course power brakes went with it and my rear calipers are locking up. not sure if its the line lock failing or if this power brake setup can actually activate the hydrolic rear brake and lock them on its own.
No the hydrolic's don't lock up just the parking brake drun on the driveshaft, it's two separate systems, I chages the relays out and changed the (Dextron)fluid in the system also changed the pressure switch, it worked for a whilenow it's back to beeping again.

I found out the control module is a black box, it is located inside the cab on the kick panel on the left side (drivers side),it shows two numbers flashing, if you take the cover off and touch the two terminals together with a screw driver or any metal object it will flash the code, mine is flashing code 03, now I just have to find out what 03 means.
As for as the calipers go I think they just go bad and lock up, it's a good idea to have your hydrolic system flushed every 5 years it is really worth the trouble and money you spend, Good Luck
Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
SQ is the SQUAD
Diesel Enthusiast

4x4 Nut. did you have to drill a hole in the firewall for the ebrake cable? i drilled out the rivits that hole the brake warning box bracket. all the holes to mount the ebrake handle are no there. i also dont see a hole to fish out the ebrake cable.

if you have any pictures id greatly appreciate it. also let me know what wiring you did for the warning system as i removed my box.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.