Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/)
-   Medium Duty Trucks (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/34-medium-duty-trucks/)
-   -   2000 C6500 Parking Brake Problem (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/34-medium-duty-trucks/375383-2000-c6500-parking-brake-problem.html)

4x4 Nut 06-09-2010 12:33 PM

2000 C6500 Parking Brake Problem
 
Hello, we have a 2000 C6500 Kodiak with a parking brake problem. The truck has a Cat engine, AT, and hydraulic brakes. The parking brake is the electric over hydraulic type that activates a tranny mounted drum brake. The shoes are in good condition yet and adjustments are fine. The control part has been acting up. At times the pump runs, but won't build pressure to release. Tapping the solenoid valve seems to get it working. The pump is also working intermittently with sometimes not coming on and therefore not releasing the brake. The cylinder is leaking some too. The truck has low miles on it, but is a bucket truck to do overhead cable work so it has a lot of idle time and the parking brake gets set and released a lot to move short distances.

I've searched and it seems this type system can be known for problems and some have converted to a good ole mechanical lever. Does anyone know if these trucks were available with mechanical brakes? If so, what does it take to convert and short of new at the dealer, does anyone have a suggestion for locating the parts? I've called a couple of truck salvage yards without luck. Thanks for your help.

LtEng5 06-09-2010 03:07 PM

tapping the solenoid sounds like the plunger is sticking; replace solenoid....the pump working intermittently could be the relay is getting tired; replace relay.....the contact pints inside the relay wear out over time and you state that it turns on/off frequently and that cycling is what wears the contact points out...so it seems early in life compared to the miles


other than converting to a full air brake system; not sure on what options you have.....over the years electric over hydraulic systems have been found to be problematic and feeling weak to the drivers when trying to stop....

4x4 Nut 06-10-2010 08:32 AM

Thanks for the reply. I know what it would take to repair the system, but I'd rather scrap it and put in a manual lever instead. That would solve all the problems without worrying about reoccurrance in the future. Any suggestions on that? Thanks.

2001_6500 04-14-2011 10:33 PM

2000 C6500 Brake Problem
 
Hi, I am having some of the same issues with my brake on my 2001 C6500. I have electric over hydraulic with my brake locked up. I was just wondering how you made out, or what you did to solve your problem? Also did you find any manuals that would help?

4x4 Nut 04-14-2011 11:33 PM

I was able to install a mechanical hand brake assembly & get it working nicely. The bracket to mount the lever to the kick panel of the cab was discontinued so I had to build one, but everything else was available through GM. It took some investigating because there are so many different options- especially for the cable, but I should have all the part numbers written down. The other thing that took a little thought was getting the warning system working right. I removed the control box completely & it ended up only needing a simple wire install. I have the truck at the shop right now & can look at the brake tomorrow if you'd like.

Carlk 04-10-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtEng5 (Post 3886294)
tapping the solenoid sounds like the plunger is sticking; replace solenoid....the pump working intermittently could be the relay is getting tired; replace relay.....the contact pints inside the relay wear out over time and you state that it turns on/off frequently and that cycling is what wears the contact points out...so it seems early in life compared to the miles


other than converting to a full air brake system; not sure on what options you have.....over the years electric over hydraulic systems have been found to be problematic and feeling weak to the drivers when trying to stop....

Where is the location of the relay, can you buy the solenoid and relay at the Chevrolet dealer?

SQ is the SQUAD 06-30-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4 Nut (Post 4263046)
I was able to install a mechanical hand brake assembly & get it working nicely. The bracket to mount the lever to the kick panel of the cab was discontinued so I had to build one, but everything else was available through GM. It took some investigating because there are so many different options- especially for the cable, but I should have all the part numbers written down. The other thing that took a little thought was getting the warning system working right. I removed the control box completely & it ended up only needing a simple wire install. I have the truck at the shop right now & can look at the brake tomorrow if you'd like.


i am looking to do this to my truck this weekend. i m going to go to the junk yard this weekend and take the hand brake and cable out a parts truck. is there anything special i have to do to remove the power brake box? do i have the change the lever on the trans brake or are they both the same?

SQ is the SQUAD 06-30-2014 11:25 AM

i got another related question. when your brakes lock up, is it the hydrolic brakes (calipers) locking up? i am having an issue with now with my rear calipers locking up. my truck came with the power parking brake set up. that was removed my precious owner and a line lock was put in place. i recently had my ps pump die. of course power brakes went with it and my rear calipers are locking up. not sure if its the line lock failing or if this power brake setup can actually activate the hydrolic rear brake and lock them on its own.

Carlk 07-02-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQ is the SQUAD (Post 6220561)
i got another related question. when your brakes lock up, is it the hydrolic brakes (calipers) locking up? i am having an issue with now with my rear calipers locking up. my truck came with the power parking brake set up. that was removed my precious owner and a line lock was put in place. i recently had my ps pump die. of course power brakes went with it and my rear calipers are locking up. not sure if its the line lock failing or if this power brake setup can actually activate the hydrolic rear brake and lock them on its own.

No the hydrolic's don't lock up just the parking brake drun on the driveshaft, it's two separate systems, I chages the relays out and changed the (Dextron)fluid in the system also changed the pressure switch, it worked for a whilenow it's back to beeping again.

I found out the control module is a black box, it is located inside the cab on the kick panel on the left side (drivers side),it shows two numbers flashing, if you take the cover off and touch the two terminals together with a screw driver or any metal object it will flash the code, mine is flashing code 03, now I just have to find out what 03 means.
As for as the calipers go I think they just go bad and lock up, it's a good idea to have your hydrolic system flushed every 5 years it is really worth the trouble and money you spend, Good Luck


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0