Front end shake on C5500? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Medium Duty Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
engineboy
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Front end shake on C5500?

I just recently picked up an '05 C5500 for my work vehicle (see av) and was wondering if there are any poly bushings or anything of the like to make the flip front end not shake so much while driving. I have checked all the body bushings and the front end stops to make sure they are seating and tight.

It seems to me there is a ton of slack if you grab the fender and lift. Its kind of annoying at night when the headlights are dancing.

The tires are perfect and the ride is smooth, just seems like a really sloppy design. The issue seems more in the front pivot hinges than anywhere else.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2006, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
mdirvin
Diesel Head

I have a 2005 C-4500. It had a "shake" in the steering wheel that always seemed to be there. I had stopped by a heavy duty truck dealer to have some work done. While there in the waiting/parts room I noticed a demo for centramatic dynamic tire balances (http://www.centramatic.com/) used on the larger rigs i.e. semi's. I called them and stopped by the their shop just South of Fort Worth, TX and had a set installed on my truck. My wife was really against the idea because of the expense. ($200/axle) The difference it made was unbelievable. All shake and vibration is gone from the steering wheel. My wife could tell the difference just riding in the truck. We were so impressed with the results we called them back up and made arrangements to have a set put on our 5th wheel. As a disclaimer here I have no affiliation with the company just a very satisfied customer.

Mike
Old 10-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
engineboy
Diesel Head

Sorry if I wasnt more descriptive, this isnt a shake in the wheel, the cab/steering wheel/all that is steady and smooth.

Its just the slop in the front tilt nose that Im trying to limit. I noticed the pivot bushings are way sloppy, of course it doesnt help that the radiator support is rubber mounted on these either

Its not bad at all, I actually have a tire guy here that still shaves the tires and balances on the vehicle so the ride is smooth as glass, just want to limit the amount of nose shake when there is uneven surfaces.

I was hoping I could buy poly bushings for the radiator support and the tilt nose pivots.

Ill have to check into the link you posted if I have any wheel/tire issues, looks interesting....thanks
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
frank mclean
Diesel Fanatic

engineboy,
does this shake start around 60-65 mph ? if so the shake is due to vibration coming from the axles. i have been trying to have mine fixed in S. C. , cannot find any competent dealer. you shoud be close to transwest gmc, they should be able to help. that looks like a provan built truck. you may want to contact mike young.

Last edited by frank mclean; 10-22-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
frank mclean
Diesel Fanatic

engineboy,
is your name possibly j. salera ??????????
Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
engineboy
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank mclean;1365902;
engineboy,
is your name possibly j. salera ??????????
Nope.

Ive been an auto tech for 20+ years, and I wouldnt consider this an issue with the truck, its not like there is anything wrong, just something I was curious about as far as getting the bushings. It really is smooth, Im just really anal ..LOL

Yeah, provans did the truck, Mike is a great guy and has bent over backwards for me on this thing. I wouldnt hesitate to give him a call if I thought it was a problem.

EB
Old 10-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
frank mclean
Diesel Fanatic

if you want to talk about anal ask mike young if he knows the name frank mclean. he will know!!! i have an 06 c5500 18 ft. have the same problem. it is in the truck, not the box. mike would be able to help with truck warranty service, he is one of transwest's biggest cust. have someone to ride down hwy. beside you to see if one or both of the front tires are bouncing at the speed that the shake happens. mine started out with the hood flapping around & now the cab shakes like H*%#%!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
engineboy
Diesel Head

Mine is nothing like that, the cab is dead smooth, tires are right on (already ground and balanced on the truck) Im sure your problem and mine are two different things.

I just wanted to know if they make poly bushing for the pivot points on these things.

It rides like a caddy, all the way to 75 MPH, just wanted to get rid of the play in the front clip, thats all.

Good luck with yours.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
knighte
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineboy;1366694;
Mine is nothing like that, the cab is dead smooth, tires are right on (already ground and balanced on the truck) Im sure your problem and mine are two different things.

I just wanted to know if they make poly bushing for the pivot points on these things.

It rides like a caddy, all the way to 75 MPH, just wanted to get rid of the play in the front clip, thats all.

Good luck with yours.

People are not understanding your question... sorry for that.

I'm guessing their reason is that many have had vibration issues with the chassis, and none of them has had the issue with the hood.

You say the slack in the hood seems to be in the bushing itself on the front hinges? The front hinges should play into this very little if the hood is seated properly against the cab and fenders. Are the rubber blocks in place on the fender seats? Does there seem to be enough tension in the rubber strap downs?

Your issue is quite strange. On my truck the rubber ties are so tight you can't even pick up on the fenders. On the front hinges with the hood down you can only manage about 1/32" of slack on the front hinges (in the hinge itself). The hinge itself does flex a bit forward and back, however I don't think that is what you are describing. That hood is quite heavy. If your hood is different from what I have described I would recommend you return it to a dealer and compair it to trucks on the lot to get a better idea of what needs fixed.

Good Luck

Unload the Horses, Open the Beers
See more at: platinumequestrian.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread