Should I be concerned or not? (Weights) - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Just so you know, pin weight can be adjusted by the way you load the trailer. That's why most trailers have the water tank in the rear. If you add 1000lb to the trailer, the actual effect on the pin weight will depend on where you add the weight in relationship to the trailer axles.
If your towing any amount of weight, you should know that anyways
Banks power big hoss kit with power pda, MBRP cat-delete front pipe, BD full bore manifold + Thermocouple, kennedy diesel EGR blocker, Diamondback bed cover, Line-X bed liner, Southwest fabricators front bumper, Fab-tech HD tie rods, UK modified towing hitch, Airdog II 165 installed with swagelok stainless fittings & lines, Biodiesel Blending, PCV reroute with allseason AN pcv fittings. D2R/denso hid installed with relay bypassed headlights. Transgo Jr and Transynd. Braided PTFE hydroboost/steering lines
Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Right off the top you obviously sound over weight. What is the Carry Capacity number on the DS door jamb tire info label? That is a good starting point too but it's good you weighed. CC/truck gross is where you will run out first. It's interesting your truck weighs that much. The 05 CC/LB in my sig weighs 7150 wet but empty and has a CC of 27980 lbs. Amazing close to reality. It's gross is 9900lbs (springs and steel wheels)

Before you buy, call your insurance company and ask them what they will do if you have an accident and you are overweight. I called mine and they said they would check the weights to make sure I was under the ratings (as much as they could.) Yours may not care. Yours might also accept added springs and stronger wheels (so you could add the 3500 overload spring and steel or stronger aluminum wheels.) I am more worried about the weight lawyers than the weight police.

I came from an AF 24-5N and all AF's are heavy (because they aren't crap.) I found that 100 pounds added to the bumper doesn't translate to 100 lbs off the pin. Maybe 20% comes off the pin. On my 24-5N the water was in the front storage so it added a lot to the pin. I don't know where it is in the 27-5L but it could be over the axles so it does add to the pin but not as much.

I won't buy a trailer until I can take it to the scales and weigh everything even if it's empty (but full of water.) You can rough out where the weight will go from there but if you are over empty, you know it will only get worse. Then you can decide.

I seriously doubt you will hit the axle limits of the truck.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)

Last edited by terryk; 01-21-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
KL7J
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Arctic Fox is good qualty, I have had their products. They do tend to run higher weight out the door than the catalog states, some of those stated dry weights are before accessories like a microwave oven.
You can do it if careful axle wise and maybe tires the first limiting factor, and get that nice 5th now and a bigger capacity truck later. Did that myself. But your obviously aware of weights and if your like me, you will be thinking about that propane fill you just did, some water you need to carry or is left in the tanks, and when the wife comes out of the grocery store with one heavy basket of groceries including water, beer and soda pop. Then of course there is the front bedroom closet and dresser full of clothes, the front storage basement and what not that loads heavily on the pin.

You have obviously thought about it but you may be surprised at loaded weights.
B&W Gooseneck & Companion 5th hitch.

Sold 2015 D/A GMC 3500 SRW 4x4 LB SLT CC
B&W Gooseneck & Companion 5th hitch.

Sold 2013 D/A Chev 3500 DRW, 4X4, LTZ, CC
Pullrite Super 5th under bed mounted.

Sold 2011 D/A Chev 2500, 4X4, LTZ, CC, SB, Timbrens, Pullrite Superglide.

Last edited by KL7J; 01-26-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Northwood (Arctic Fox) is one of the few that actually measure the trailer at the end of the production line so (that I could confirm) so the weights on the label in the coach are within 10lbs of reality (excluding batteries and propane tanks.) Unless the dealer added something, that is the true weight. At least you can count on those numbers to be accurate. They include the pin weight on the label too.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)

Last edited by terryk; 01-26-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.