safe towing limit with 5thwheel/gooseneck 2003 3500 HD with duramax - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
onetonwillys
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

safe towing limit with 5thwheel/gooseneck 2003 3500 HD with duramax

Hello. I have a 2003 chevy 4WD 4 DR silverado 3500 HD duramax/allison combo with dual wheels. I am need of upgrding from a 24 foot gooseneck to a 30 foot gooseneck to haul two vehicles from time to time. The trailer I am looking at weighs 6,000 lbs. The two vehicles combined weigh in at 10,000 lbs. That will be a total of 16,0000 lbs for my truck to pull. I have done some researching and found "variable" numbers for towing capacity. The highest I have found is 15,800 lbs. So by that number I would be over by 200 pounds. I am located in Tennessee.
Any help or suggestions to reliable numbers would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

No problem at all, hook up and go!

I routinely hauled a 44' GN over 16,500 pounds with my 2500.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Franka548
Diesel Technician

onetonwillys,
I gross out at between 23,500 and 24,500# with my 5er, I am ok on all my axles and gross. but over on the combined. I do have a tuner on and CAI and 4" exhaust. The truck does fine, and still get between 10 and 11 mpg running 63 to 67 mph. My 5er is almost 13' high. when you are loaded to go, run it across a set of scales and then look at the placard on the drivers door and on the trailer to make sure you are within the manufacturers weight limits.
Frank
03 3500 CCLB dually 2wd, Grizzley locker, AAM finned aluminum diff. cover, Dr. Performance predator, PPE boost valve, Holley lift pump with NAPA 2micron filter, BD exhaust manifold, K&N intake, Bully Dog 4" exhaust, Eagle Aluminum Wheels, BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's 215/85R16 LRE, AirLift Road Tamer full air ride on rear, Bilstein HD shocks, Stomburg-Carlson flowthru tailgate, Autometer EGT and Boost on pillar, RDS 60 gal auxilary fuel tank w/toolbox, Line-X spray in bed liner, Black Powdercoated diamond plate running boards and rear flaps, Reese 22k fifth wheel hitch
07 Alfa Gold 30' fifth wheel, 2 slides, power everything
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Also, check the Carrying Capacity on the tire pressure label in the drivers side door jamb. That is the limit of weight you can add to the truck (people, stuff, fuel, hitch, pin weight.)

From the numbers I have for 2003 dually, it says the fifth wheel/goose-neck limit is 14,700 lbs. Gross is 22,000 lbs. The owners manual has those number in it but you have to look at the door for the CC.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.