Diesel Place banner

Never owned a diesel, but thinking about it???

5K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  dreese_us 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! New to the forum and looking for advice from those with much more knowledge and experience with diesel than I have. I'm considering a new, bigger truck, and want some feedback as to if I should/need to go diesel or should consider 3/4 ton gasser.

My current truck is '05 RAM 1500 Hemi. I used to only use it to tow my 22' Glastron ski boat, but bought a 27' fiver last winter. The 5th wheel is a Keystone Sprindale 249FWBHSSR. Dry weight 6301lbs, and carrying capacity 1804lbs, with a pin weight of about 1150lbs. I've had the truck and 5th wheel fully loaded and weighed at a truck scale. I was just barely within my GAWR, which is generally my biggest concern. I have the weight slips in my truck, but can't recall off hand how heavy the whole load was.

I live in Kansas, so it's mostly flat, but I towed to Arkansas and Oklahoma and Missouri last year. Any slight hills and I'm working that 1500! The Hemi has power, but I'm sure I'll burn through a transmission this year if I keep towing the 5er, not to mention brakes, etc. I have a tranny and oil cooler and LOVE my Ram! But don't want to tear it up and have lots of $$ in repairs. It's pushing 80k miles now.

I'd also like to be able to take the family camping in Colorado, Georgia, etc, but am not sure I want to tow more than 400 miles or so with the 1500. So I've decided to look at 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Initially only 3/4, but keep finding killer deals on 3500/350s. The thing is that I do drive this thing around town also. I have a motorcycle that is my primary transportation 4 months of the year, but have to drop off/pick up kids and stuff and would have to do that in the truck unless I bought a $1k cheapo for around town, which is an option.

If I tow only in spring/summer mostly and tow a ~8200lb 5er, and want to be able to tow long distance, but still need to be able to drive around town, should I be considering a diesel or stay with gas? It's legal to tandem tow in Ks also, but my wife thinks that is crazy!

Lastly, are there any major issue that I could be overlooking? I will do my own upkeep unless needs very specialized tools or something.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for a diesel to me. The difference towing is amazing. I make a 1200 mile tow one way 2 times a year plus some local towing and I used to tow with a Yukon XL and it was work. The engine raced and downshifted at even the slightest incline. The diesel drops in to 6th gear and never downshifts unless you really get on the trottle to pass. I thought when I bought my diesel it was going to be louder on the highway, but it is just the opposite. The Yukon would race at 3000 rpm and roared in the cabin, the diesel is runs at under 2000 rpms and is much quiter.

I always joke and say the question is no longer "Can I tow it" but "How fast do you want to go"

#3 ·
It's not just the difference in towing, but in all around power and torque. Want to guess how many Hemi Dodge pickups have fallen to my Duramax? ;)

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys! I found a 2007.5 2500HD (new style) at a local dealer website, but when I called them, they said they sent it to KC to auction. They offered to bring it back, but I worry that if they sent it to auction it was either a PITA, or had some wear and tear the pics didn't show. Otherwise I'd think they'd be trying to sell it on their lot. It's a big local Ford dealer, but they have every tuck known to man. Any specific things I should be worried about in GM, or any truck line?

#5 ·
You don't need a 1-ton (or a dually) for the fiver alone, but if you can get one for the same amount as you suggest you may be looking at for a 3/4 ton you'd be silly not to jump at it. Parking and around town driving is an adjustment at first but its really not that big of a deal once you get used to it, and going "too big" isn't a bad thing when towing, and saves you having to upgrade In years ahead if you decide to go with a bigger trailer.

If you're looking seriously at the double tow then given the weights you're looking at a diesel is a no brainer, as is a 1 ton IMHO because of its inherent ability to handle weights better.

There is zero question you will be totally blown away how much better a diesel tows, especially if you're considering the double tow. However, how much you tow (and if you're seriously considering the doubles) is really is still a big deciding factor on whether or not going diesel makes sense, but I think you're on the right side of the math there.

#8 ·
Yep, the 2006-2007 GM Duramax trucks are a hot commodity right now because they are the last of the pre-emissions truck (No DPF or DEF).

Could you tow that camper with a gas 3/4 ton? Sure. But if you tow it with a diesel first you will NEVER go back to gas. Towing with diesel you will see much better mileage, less driver fatigue, less truck fatigue, higher resale, more reliable, etc. The biggest problem you have towing with diesel is the need to look in the mirror from time to time to make sure the load is still back there.:D

I have towed this guy over 70K miles. It weighs 16,500 loaded and I locked the cruise at 75-80 mph most of the time.

#10 ·
I would say if your looking at a GM go diesel not the 6.0 motor. My dad had an 08' 6.0 and it sucked the fuel. I would honestly put my 12' up against any other stock diesel out there.

#11 ·
#13 ·
If that 2007 Chevy is a diesel, that's what you want. The 2006-2007.5 trucks with the LBZ motor are, arguably, the best. Plus, they don't have that DEF or DPF bullshit.

#12 ·
I would agree with everyone else.
Go with the diesel. It is a world of difference, and speed is their if you want it. Only time you should lose that is mountains and a heavy trailer.
The 03 in my sig get's better mileage in town then the 96 in my sig. At 161,xxx miles I have not replaced the brakes yet.
They may cost more, but they do save you alot if you take care of them.

#15 ·
Check the vin.

#18 ·
Yep, 8th digit is a 6, that's LMM.

That isn't a concern, it just means you have a DPF (diesel Particulate Filter). I think the EPA has cracked down on companies that supply "delete kits" so it would be difficult to delete. I'm not real well versed on the LMM, hopefully someone else can chime in.

See if it has already had the DPF deleted.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the info. From all the reading I've done on the various trucks and power trains this week. I've read the least problems about the duramax. Most issues I read were complaints of mileage with LMM, and folks having some tranny issues if they tuned and pushed too hard.

I called a chevy dealer and they ran the vin for me. Said it never showed any major repairs done at a dealer. Actually almost nothing showed up. so that could mean it wasn't well maintained, or that it was serviced at a non GM dealer.. or it just never had any issue.

Now the Powerstroke 6.0 (No wonder I find so many for sale). TONS of reports of catastrophic failure. Some tuned, some stock. Some under 100k miles, some well over..

Cummins 6.7 liter most problems I've read seem to be that if it's babied too much, it gets unhappy. I have found one of them local with only 55k miles, at the tip top of my price range, so the motor still has over 40k miles of warranty, assuming it's not been modded. It's a one owner.

#20 ·
Took a look at a few different trucks at the dealer I usually work with. It's a ford dealer, but they have lots of used trucks, and have always taken great care of me sale and service (and I've never bought a ford from them..). The 06 Ford with 6 liter, was pretty rough. Was an easy choice not to look at that one. They did have a couple 6.4 liter's I think 2010, and they were nice, but too much $$. They had 1 - 2500 gas chevy, and the diesel was gone. They had 2 different RAM 2500s, and a couple other Fords that I think were 6.0's that all looked decent as far as overall condition. I drove the RAM 2500 that I mentioned above. NICE truck. Very clean in and out. Temps are cool here today, mid 40s when I was there. It had been sitting for days the best I could tell. Fired right up, and ran strong. Long story short, I like the cummins. :) I had the vin # run by a friend at a dodge dealer. 1 owner, local truck. No major issues logged other than normal scheduled maintenance. I may go get it in the morning.. My birthday is in a few days, so that is my leverage with the wife. I may look at 2 other trucks first, one of them another Chevy 2500HD. I'll let you all know what I decide. Thanks again for all the info!

#21 ·
I drove the RAM 2500 that I mentioned above. NICE truck. Very clean in and out. Temps are cool here today, mid 40s when I was there. It had been sitting for days the best I could tell. Fired right up, and ran strong. Long story short, I like the cummins. :) I had the vin # run by a friend at a dodge dealer. 1 owner, local truck. No major issues logged other than normal scheduled maintenance. I may go get it in the morning.. My birthday is in a few days, so that is my leverage with the wife. I may look at 2 other trucks first, one of them another Chevy 2500HD. I'll let you all know what I decide. Thanks again for all the info!
If you buy the Dodge, see if they will throw in a spare transmission :rolleyes:

If you buy the Cummins, remember to add stacks, leave the mirrors folded out, and put stacked chips in it. :D (forum joke)

#22 ·
I would run away from the 6.0 ford power stroke.
We have those in trucks at work broken more than they run.
the 2011 chevy in white would be a good choice as well as the 7.5 chevy if I had to vote with my money I would buy a 4x4 vs 2 wd drive truck.

#23 ·
I appreciate all the info you guys provided! I've not been able to find a GM with what I want, for the price I'd like. I bought the Dodge. I've personally had good cars from dodge, Magnum (hemi), Ram 1500 (hemi), and now 2500 CTD! Mega Cab. I gets lots of comments about 2 vs 4 wheel drive. I rarely, if ever need 4 wheel. I will mostly be towing a 5th wheel, and 2x4 gives more tow capacity and lower insurance. If I need to go off road, I'll take my wifes 4Runner. It does great. :)

#25 ·
I was faced with the same problem, how many miles a year do you plan on driving it? I chose a big block dually for a 33 foot 10,000 pound fifth wheel. the 8100 will have no problem towing your trailer and you should be able to find a low mileage 3/4 ton truck. I saved 10 grand buying the gas motor over the diesel, fuel mileage towing is not much different than the diesel. The duramax will give better mileage running empty. The 8100 is also a bullet proof engine and you get the allison transmission. The 8100 is also cheaper to maintain.

If money is no object, buy the diesel! If your on a budget and won't be putting a lot of miles on the truck, I would consider a low mileage big block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.