Never owned a diesel, but thinking about it??? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I found this one, but it's not on their lot right now. http://mhford.com/2007-Chevrolet-Sil...KS/vd/11737069

The sales guy said he hasn't seen it other than those pics, but it was on their lot for long enough that they moved it to a neighboring cities lot. They will bring it back if I'm interested. They also have a 2006 ford 6.0 diesel, but I read some of those are real basket cases..
http://mhford.com/2006-Ford-F-350-Wi...KS/vd/11566796
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
kcb37
Diesel Master

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I would agree with everyone else.
Go with the diesel. It is a world of difference, and speed is their if you want it. Only time you should lose that is mountains and a heavy trailer.
The 03 in my sig get's better mileage in town then the 96 in my sig. At 161,xxx miles I have not replaced the brakes yet.
They may cost more, but they do save you alot if you take care of them.
2003 2500HD Silverado, ECSB, 3.73, G80, Tekonsha P3, 4" Silverline Dual Exhaust 5" Tips, Autometer Boost & Pyro Guages, Mobil 1 Delvac (TES-295), Opti Lube XPD, 2nd set injectors 109,000, 3rd set injectors 153,000, Cobra 29LTD (peaked & tuned), Wilson 5,000 mileage 172,000
2005 Cavalier 4dr.
1996 1500 Silverado, ECSB, 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker, Lakewood Slappers, mileage 190,000
1974 Corvette, 350, 4 speed, T-tops. Bright red. No tickets yet...
1949 F-1, Flathead 6, 4 speed
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibs View Post
I found this one, but it's not on their lot right now. http://mhford.com/2007-Chevrolet-Sil...KS/vd/11737069

The sales guy said he hasn't seen it other than those pics, but it was on their lot for long enough that they moved it to a neighboring cities lot. They will bring it back if I'm interested. They also have a 2006 ford 6.0 diesel, but I read some of those are real basket cases..
http://mhford.com/2006-Ford-F-350-Wi...KS/vd/11566796
If that 2007 Chevy is a diesel, that's what you want. The 2006-2007.5 trucks with the LBZ motor are, arguably, the best. Plus, they don't have that DEF or DPF bullshit.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes, it's diesel, but as I understand it, the LBZ was only in the "classic" 2007. This is a 2007.5 with new body style, and I believe the LMM engine. Is there a way I can tell for sure?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

Check the vin.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

'liLLY' 05 duramax 2500 CCSB 4X4-232,400 miles
Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Silverline 4" straight pipe (LOVE IT), 265 transforce, Bilstein 5100s , pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars) and a bunch of little stuff.

28' haulmark race trailer
20' mgs tilt bed open trailer
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

I've got the vin #, but am not sure what to do with that to get the info..?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay, I looked at a vin decoder, and put the vin# in here..
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

and it does have the LMM engine. Is that something to be concerned with?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

Yep, 8th digit is a 6, that's LMM.

That isn't a concern, it just means you have a DPF (diesel Particulate Filter). I think the EPA has cracked down on companies that supply "delete kits" so it would be difficult to delete. I'm not real well versed on the LMM, hopefully someone else can chime in.

See if it has already had the DPF deleted.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info. From all the reading I've done on the various trucks and power trains this week. I've read the least problems about the duramax. Most issues I read were complaints of mileage with LMM, and folks having some tranny issues if they tuned and pushed too hard.

I called a chevy dealer and they ran the vin for me. Said it never showed any major repairs done at a dealer. Actually almost nothing showed up. so that could mean it wasn't well maintained, or that it was serviced at a non GM dealer.. or it just never had any issue.

Now the Powerstroke 6.0 (No wonder I find so many for sale). TONS of reports of catastrophic failure. Some tuned, some stock. Some under 100k miles, some well over..

Cummins 6.7 liter most problems I've read seem to be that if it's babied too much, it gets unhappy. I have found one of them local with only 55k miles, at the tip top of my price range, so the motor still has over 40k miles of warranty, assuming it's not been modded. It's a one owner.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
nibs
Diesel Enthusiast

Took a look at a few different trucks at the dealer I usually work with. It's a ford dealer, but they have lots of used trucks, and have always taken great care of me sale and service (and I've never bought a ford from them..). The 06 Ford with 6 liter, was pretty rough. Was an easy choice not to look at that one. They did have a couple 6.4 liter's I think 2010, and they were nice, but too much $$. They had 1 - 2500 gas chevy, and the diesel was gone. They had 2 different RAM 2500s, and a couple other Fords that I think were 6.0's that all looked decent as far as overall condition. I drove the RAM 2500 that I mentioned above. NICE truck. Very clean in and out. Temps are cool here today, mid 40s when I was there. It had been sitting for days the best I could tell. Fired right up, and ran strong. Long story short, I like the cummins. I had the vin # run by a friend at a dodge dealer. 1 owner, local truck. No major issues logged other than normal scheduled maintenance. I may go get it in the morning.. My birthday is in a few days, so that is my leverage with the wife. I may look at 2 other trucks first, one of them another Chevy 2500HD. I'll let you all know what I decide. Thanks again for all the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement