max gooesneck trailer weight - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

max gooesneck trailer weight

So i have been looking all over for a real answer to my towing problem.

I have a 05 sierra gmc 2500hd crew long bed 4x4 diesel Allison

I want to tow a gooseneck trailer dry weight 7100 lbs.

I want to tow it in the area of 16-17k can i do that with my truck? What’s my max weight i can tow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Swinks11
Diesel Technician

Legally = No. Period.
It will do it, and with some common sence it would do it safely. I cant remember the max towing for that year/model ( Google knows everything though ) but its about 14,xxx Lbs max 5th wheel towing. Your payload ( pin weight ) is going to be WAY over your GVWR on you truck. 9200 Lbs is the most that truck can weight fully loaded truck/trailer everything hooked up.- legally
2002 2500HD 6.0L Gas Ex. Cab Short Box
2007 Silverback by Cedar Creek 33' 5th Wheel R.V. 12,200 lbs
2007 Jayco Jayflight 20' Travel Trailer.6000 lbs. - Sold
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

16-17k total, including trailer weight? Yeah, that can be done. I can't speak on the legality of it.

16-17k PLUS the trailer weight? NO Way! That's medium duty territory.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
kmac2003
Diesel Head

22k gcwr

I'm 95% confident a single rear wheel of that era is 22,000 combined truck and trailer rating. Dual rear is 23,500. That is all up combination rolling down the road weight. Truck weighs around 7,000 so technically, you are a bit over on the rating.
Having said that, I've pulled a lot in the southwest mountains and heat in the 24-26,000 combined range and max of 32,000 several years back with LBZ's. Generally, best to not go over 26,000 and have the truck and trailer plated for the max weight they will each be loaded to. I would not go over on the 6084 rating on the rear axle. In this part of the country the enforcement seems more concerned with licensed weight than manufacturer's ratings. If you are hauling as a business (even your own equipment for your own business) that presents another set of regulatory junk - potentially DOT numbers, log books, medical card depending on how far you are going. Rules vary by state just to keep us all guessing.
And I try to stay out of the state west of me if at all possible - the People's Republic of California is a pain in the backside.
Royal Sport Utility Body
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

I will did see that its 15k is my max on the truck. I am looking at 17-18k total trailer weight. I have air bags on the truck. I think the pin weight is going to be what i need to watch. I am hoping to load it so its not to hi.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Axle weights and your REGISTERED gross weight is what law enforcement cares about...for the most part. GCWR is a manufacturers made-up number that isn't really legally enforceable, although if you spend any time at RV forums you'll find people that think it's the end of the freakin' world if you dare exceed it by a pound.

That's not to suggest you should hookup 30K behind your truck with a few converter dollies and try to suggest it's OK because your axle weights all remain in legal ranges - you still have to be able to demonstrate that the vehicle is properly controllable and stoppable to law enforcement if requested..and as soon as you cross what the DOT considders non-commercial limits, you start to fall into the fuzzy middle between being a non-commercial vs commercial truck when it comes to enforcement.

If you are hauling for-profit, you ARE commercial and will have to adhere to all the relevant laws, including licensing, permits, and of course, stopping distance regulations. Trying to fly under the radar on any of the above only works until the first time you're caught.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
kmac2003
Diesel Head

Private Pilot has it right. As long as your rig is licensed appropriately for the weight, you pay attention to axle loading and mechanically things are in safe working order you should be just fine from a vehicle capacity and legality perspective hauling your own stuff or your buddies stuff. Obviously, performance goes down as weight goes up - my experience is to adjust my performance expectations (start, stop,turn), understand that I can't break the laws of physics, take my time, get there safely and not run the truck into the ground. I like to say my best trips are the boring ones - no breakdowns, no discussions with local law enforcement on the side of the road, etc. Use some common sense and you and the truck will be fine.
Royal Sport Utility Body
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

I have seen everyone point out how important it is for me to get the rig licensed at the correct weight. how do i do that and what does that mean. Does it mean getting the trailer registered at a certain weight or my truck or both? What is the max weight before i get into the commercial area?

I would assume i would do this at the DMV.

Thanks you guys as normal have been very informative.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
kmac2003
Diesel Head

Check the website for Colorado's Department of Motor Vehicles (I recall you are from Colo Springs? - God's country up there) before you head down to the office - I've found it best to be educated 'cause sometimes the folks at the DMV offices are not familiar with much more than licensing and titling pass cars.
You probably won't even need to bring the truck and trailer if they are currently licensed. In AZ you can pretty much walk in with your current registration and tell them you want your trailer registered for XX pounds gross weight. Pay 'em some money and you are on your way. AZ had different rules for personal vs commercial use - for example, I have a PERMANENT 10K plate for my 14K GVWR equipment trailer for personal use for like a couple hundred bucks. Now if I am loaded over 10K and get pulled and the officer digs into it, big fine time. If I want to go over 10K, no more personal use category and the cost goes way up. AZ - same deal on a truck - I walked in and they asked me what GVW I wanted it plated for. I just went for the stock 9200 but could have picked about anything (guy I bought the truck from had a passenger car plate on it - fine as long as you are not hauling!).
So check out your regs and weigh (pun intended) the cost versus the risk of various licensing weights. As far as commercial vehicles, most states are pretty lenient on weight as long as you claim personal use - no special plating, inspection station stops, driver tests(should be though) for those big diesel pusher motorhome drivers towing a decent size trailer. Also, for personal use, no requirement for a CDL, DOT medical card, log book as far as I know. Should be pretty straightforward. Good luck.
Royal Sport Utility Body
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

My truck is private but I have commercial tag, the registration reads, up to 26,000 lbs. I live in Alabama=====charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 334,698 miles and counting. 10949.8 hrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.