max gooesneck trailer weight - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Towing Discuss Anything Related To Towing With Your Diesel. Any RV-specific discussions belong here.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
jdugie123
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jdugie123 Send a message via Yahoo to jdugie123

Lone Star Diesels Member

Just like private pilot said the weight on the door sticker means almost nothing a dot officer is going to check axle ratings then wheel and tire if you go over those then your over weight.

Traded In
: 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robgmcman View Post
So i have been looking all over for a real answer to my towing problem.

I have a 05 sierra gmc 2500hd crew long bed 4x4 diesel Allison

I want to tow a gooseneck trailer dry weight 7100 lbs.

I want to tow it in the area of 16-17k can i do that with my truck? What’s my max weight i can tow?
By posing the question, you have a good start. Your thinking about safety and legal.
For the legal, check your state DMV web site. That maybe tough reading, but should give you insight of what required. There should be a section for private operations (us RVers), for farm operations, and commercial operations (my summer job). Each state and province is different, so don't relate one to the other. Work with the jurisdiction of your operation. If you cross state lines, check that State's DMV.
For the safety, legal is not always the best, add a good shot of common sense. For those of us that work in the 63.5 metric ton - 140,000 lbs. area, we may appear to take weight for granted...... not so, we are always mindful for the condition of our rig, of the road, and of yourselves.

'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05-times up - off warranty, now 165,000 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner on Tow mode, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, "AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

I am having a hard time trying to find the Colorado Springs rules and regulations. But i will not give up. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Master

Quote:
I am having a hard time trying to find the Colorado Springs rules and regulations. But i will not give up. Thanks everyone.
I would think that the Colorado State regulations are more relevant. Most towns/cities don't over ride these regs, except to protect local bridges and residential roads. Most cities have rules/bylaws regarding speed and parking that may effect you. The states also issues the drivers license, so read the state laws regarding the gross (maximum) weight each vehicle and the combination will weigh and what license is required.

'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05-times up - off warranty, now 165,000 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner on Tow mode, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, "AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

Good idea thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

I am still not finding anything on it. I will keep looking for even a good number to call.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
kmac2003
Diesel Head

CO Contact Info

My trucker's atlas has the following for vehicle registration, may only be commercial but a starting point. I find the AZ DOT website to be sparse at best for trailer and towing info. Good luck -

303-205-5840
www.revenue.state.co.us/MCS_dir/index.htm

There is an underscore _ between MCS and dir (MCS_dir)
Royal Sport Utility Body
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

At this point i have not gotten any answers. I may just have to go in and see what happens. I would like to be ready for what is to come but Colorado likes to keep this information a secret.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
I may just have to go in and see what happens. I would like to be ready for what is to come but Colorado likes to keep this information a secret.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Have you considered calling your nearest commercial DOT office, or paying a visit to your nearest truck inspection station and asking?

The latter is likely your best bet as they'll be familiar with licencing, drivers licence class limitations, etc.

Finding this stuff out on the side of the road with a cruiser behind you is rarely inexpensive, or convenient.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Robgmcman
Diesel Technician

Very true, I will chase someone down on the road who knows. Like state patrol or something.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.