Tandem Axle Set up Question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Towing
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
whitecc
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Tandem Axle Set up Question

Hi guys, I recently bought a 5' -6" x 14' flat bed trailer. It was stripped down to the frame and didn't have a ramp, sides, or floor. I am in the process of welding in some cross members out of heavy gauge angle and working on some angle sides. It is currently a single axle trailer and has excepts a 2 - 5/16" ball. I was always a fan of tandem setups just because 4 tires touching the ground is better then 2 regardless of weight. My guess is it is a 5000-7000 lbs jusging by its size. I found a set of tandem axles in good condition. They have a 5 lug x 5.5" bolt pattern and have brakes on both axles. All the bolts have castle nuts and have grease zerks to grease them. They are 2" x 2" solid steel and are heavy as hell! took three guys to load and unload them form the back of my truck. I plan on fixing this trailer up this winter and use it as a general purpose trailer. Anyway enough story telling, my question is they axles came with leaf springs that look to be extremly heavy duty, about 8-9 leafs on each pack. They also have with a "braket of some sorts that has three holes going through it. one on each end for the leaf springs and one in the middle for the hanger. Is this the proper way to set this up? I am gonna fab up new hangers for these axles and just want to make sure i am mounting these correctly. The guys I bought them from said they were from an old 24'-28' camper, my guess is they are rated at about 4-5000 lbs a piece. Any pics of tandem axles setups on leaf springs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

Here is a typical setup.

How many lug was the original axle? In my experience 5 lug axles are 3500#. So if that trailer is as heavy as you think you are only going to have a 2000# capacity.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Extang solid fold tonneau cover
1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
whitecc
Diesel Technician

I figured that the tandem axles are prolly rated at a minimum of 3500lbs each, although they look very similar to my uncle's 5000lbs axles. That puts me at 7000lbs, if the trailer weighs at best 1500lbs, that gives me a 5500# capacity...right?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

Yep that sounds right. Guess I miss understood you earlier. I thought you said the trailer alone was 5000-7000 pounds.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Extang solid fold tonneau cover
1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
whitecc
Diesel Technician

oo no sorry....thanks again for the picture! also when welding the hangers in should i do it at droop or compression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.