Diesel Place banner

Anyone have problems with rear axle??

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnnydingding 
#1 ·
Since the end of winter, I've noticed a squealing noise at slow speeds (forward and reverse) All u joints seem to be solid and that was verified by mechanic when I took it to have the carrier bearing replaced (which I believed to be the problem).

Squealing noise was still there when I got the truck back. I've been noticing a slight vibration when I slow to about 10mph. Its almost like I can feel the ring and pinion gear meshing together or at least that's what the vibration feels like.

I have an appointment to have it checked out to avoid and major repairs later on.

I'm thinking the pinion bearing may need to be replaced but that's just my guess based on my limited knowledge of rears.

Anyone have any input?

#2 ·
Truck has 196k on it and doesn't see any heavy towing/loads. I'm towing a 26' camper maybe 8-10 times a year.

#3 ·
Nothing wrong with the rear. I pulled the driveshaft and found the middle ujoint was bad. Replaced all 3 ujoints with NAPA severe service u joints.
Vibration all gone!

#5 ·
I'm pretty surprised you got that many miles out of it without having to replace a u-joint before now. Seems like I always have one go bad before the 100K mark. Maybe that's from wheel slippage in winter driving. Hope you get another 196K before doing it again! :thumb:

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I was very relieved that my suspicions of a bad pinion bearing was wrong.
3 hours of my time and $65.00 later, it's all fixed.
I researched u-joints before buying the NAPA severe service ones, they seemed to be well liked for heavy duty applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.