Differance in Moog U Joints? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mkos1980
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Differance in Moog U Joints?

I have an 06 2500HD Gasser and just purchased the MA pumprub kit to take care of my case. I have 87K on it and figured I might as well do the front joints. Backs were replaced under warranty 2 years ago. I work at Advance Auto and have the choice of the greesable Problem Solver Moogs or the higher buck super strength Moogs. I use 4x4 like 3 times a year in the snow and thats it. Any thoughts? They look identical except the greese fitting location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
CNY6.5TD
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CNY Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkos1980 View Post
I have an 06 2500HD Gasser and just purchased the MA pumprub kit to take care of my case. I have 87K on it and figured I might as well do the front joints. Backs were replaced under warranty 2 years ago. I work at Advance Auto and have the choice of the greesable Problem Solver Moogs or the higher buck super strength Moogs. I use 4x4 like 3 times a year in the snow and thats it. Any thoughts? They look identical except the greese fitting location.

They are both JUNK. The moogs are more than likely reboxed precicions. The actual difference is the "super strength" joint is greaseable through the cup, so without having that hole in the cross for the grease fitting makes its marginally stronger. But thats kind of laughable, because its obviously still drilled between journals for the grease to circulate.

The only shot you have of getting a good U-joint from Advanced Auto is a black box Neapco 2-3011. The Brute force Neapcos are almost as big of a pile as Moogs, and the PDQs aren't any better.
ROOtS: 93 2500 4x4 rclb. 5 spd 97-up block with intake off/ IP off the 93, IP turned up, timing advanced slightly, manual waste gate running about 14psi through a gm-8, 3 inch exhaust straight through from the turbo to the 5 inch stacks behind the cab. ........ That old gal has been gone quite a while now and i still miss her :-(

01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Ridge Runner DSP5, Suncoast stage IV, Kryptonite center link/tierods, PISK by ME, 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas, Flex-a-lite electric fans.

07.5 2500hd LMM, LTZ, CCSB, Some kinda beefy tie rods and PISK, S475 over stock by Extreme Pile Racing (EPR), Freedom Diesel Tranny, 40% over sticks, Air Dog Lift pump.

Last edited by CNY6.5TD; 03-16-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mkos1980
Diesel Technician

Then whats good?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
CNY6.5TD
Diesel Master

CNY Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Then whats good?

Spicer and the black box Neapco joint is pretty much it. Even some of the japanese and chinese crap some of the parts stores rebox is much better than the American made precisions. The precisions ( what moogs are) have gotten especially $h!tty. Lately at work we cant even balance driveshafts that customers have recently had precision brand u-joints installed because that have as much as 1/8" of play in them.

Its pretty amazing to that there are probably 5-6 companies manufacturing U-joints and as a general rule only 2 or 3 manufacturers sell a product thats not a failure waiting to happen. Its the same thing with driveshaft center bearings by Dorman, SKF, Timken, Moog, Federal Mogul, all good brand names ( well expect Dorman) with a part that is just reboxed trash.

I go through it at least once a week with a shop or vehicle owner that brings me a driveshaft for balance and it just cant be balanced with the brand new parts someone just put in it.
ROOtS: 93 2500 4x4 rclb. 5 spd 97-up block with intake off/ IP off the 93, IP turned up, timing advanced slightly, manual waste gate running about 14psi through a gm-8, 3 inch exhaust straight through from the turbo to the 5 inch stacks behind the cab. ........ That old gal has been gone quite a while now and i still miss her :-(

01 GMC 2500hd ecsb Dmax/Alli. 4" exhaust to 5" single stack,EDGE Insight CTS, EFI Ridge Runner DSP5, Suncoast stage IV, Kryptonite center link/tierods, PISK by ME, 305/55/R20 Cooper Zeon's on Rockstars. Eaton E-locker. So cal stage I heads, and a little bit of laughing gas, Flex-a-lite electric fans.

07.5 2500hd LMM, LTZ, CCSB, Some kinda beefy tie rods and PISK, S475 over stock by Extreme Pile Racing (EPR), Freedom Diesel Tranny, 40% over sticks, Air Dog Lift pump.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mkos1980
Diesel Technician

Should I just leave as is? They seem perfect.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
CNY6.5TD
Diesel Master

CNY Diesel Club Member

Quote:
Should I just leave as is? They seem perfect.
I dont see why not. Especially since the original joints in the front shaft require torching/cooking out that nylon injection holding the cap in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.