Advice needed on driving a truck with a 2 speed rear axle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
hzl6cm
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Advice needed on driving a truck with a 2 speed rear axle

I'm going to go look at a 76 Chevy 2 1/2 ton truck in about an hour and plan to drive it the 70 miles back home since it is too long to put on my trailer. Most of this driving is on the Interstate. The truck has a 4-speed transmission with a 2-speed rear axle. I have never driven a truck with a multi-speed rear axle and have some quick questions for anyone who has. Do you shift the axle on the fly or just shift it in high or low range before taking off and leave it in that range? Do you use the clutch when shifting the axle? Thanks!
1972 Ford F600 dump truck, 330cid V8, 5-speed tranny and 2-speed rear axle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
ehames005
Diesel Fanatic

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Idaho Turbo Diesels Member

Usually when you are shifting a axle you go through the pattern then shift the axle into high range and go through the pattern again. As for using the clutch it is always a safe bet to use it. My Peterbuilt does not need the clutch except for take off but it does have modern air shifters the high/low split.
Custom cold air intake
PMD relocated
237,000 miles
33x12.5x17 tires
4.10 gears
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

My only experience with a 2 speed rear axle is in large equipment, and in this case all that was needed to make the shift was to preselect the shift, and break torque - it does the rest.

(Edit: I missed the "2" before the "1/2" ton. )

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 01-22-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
33m racing
Diesel Fanatic

You say 2 1/2 ton like c60? If so, I'd leave the axle in low till you get in high gear, then shift the rear axle. You could use the clutch, or burp the throttle.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

The only one I ever drove went like this. You shift into 1st and diff in low. Then next shift will be still in first and shift rear end into high. Next shift is 2nd gear and rear end in low. But will all depend on the transmission and gear it has to whether you may be able to start at the bottom again and work through the gears again.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN

Last edited by Tanc Crusher; 01-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
wingman98
Diesel Technician

have one like this for 30 years leave in low till you get to 4th thenshift to hig on rear xle actually I am wingmans dad> Ehames005 this a two speed rear axle not a trans as you are used to shifting on your large car You will not go back to 1 as this truck will have a muncie 465 trans.wind it up in 4th pull up on the red button on gear shift burp throttle slowly get back in to the gas and you should be inhigh on rear ax.If it is cold out it will take longer to shift.DO NOT RUSH IT
1993 Silverado K3500 CCLB 6.5TD vin code F, Ranch hand style bumpers front and rear. outback running boards. Dual core all aluminum radiator, including tanks. each core is an inch wide. 4 inch Diamomd Eye Exhaust no muffler, 2.5 crossover pipe, snorkel taken out, A Team Turbo, 285/75-16 Michelin LTX A/T 2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBurby1 View Post
but ya whacking is fine....the flange...on your truck....that is....
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesneights1 View Post
if I ever meet the SOB who invented those stupid squeeze clamps I will put 6 of them on his ballsack
I agree with this.

Last edited by wingman98; 01-22-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dakota Dave
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Just leave it in high and drive home. You should not need Low unless loaded. That should be a syncronised trany. use the clutch to prevent destroying them.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
iceroadman
Diesel Technician

A two speed axle is more or less a kind of an overdrive.
Like others have said you only need it in high gear.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
justinsdad
Diesel Head

if you do shift it into high after 4th, dont go back to low until you stop, it can be kinda tricky to hit and the grinding sounds horrible when you miss.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

I have found that it takes some experience when deciding to split shift,getting to know the range between the gears will let you know more about when to use hi or low on a given gear and load has a lot to do with it.

As mentioned earlier I ussually would accellerate under load when going from low to high,pull the shifter to high,let off the throttle and wait for the gear to shift and contine my accelleration.

To go from hi to low takes a bit more finness and can be done several ways,deccelerate and drop the switch then slowly rev the engine to try and match the speed(this is tough to do without being harsh on the rear end/drivetrain) or clutch and rev the engine a quick burp and let the clutch out still harsh but less so if you catch it at all.It is easy to miss gears this way and without experience it should not be used for engine braking.
Relocated PMD/Heatsink to Front Bumper #9 Resistor
K-47 Standard Duty AC Air Filter And K-47 Housing
Kennedy special calibration fan clutch/Kennedy 20" steel fan
LeroyDiesel.com oil cooler kit
Diamond Eye 4" turbo back exhaust
2 1/2" crossover
High Idle Mod
Feed The Beast 2.0
EGT,Boost gauges
Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions

Last edited by racer55; 01-23-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.