Timken front wheel bearings - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
love0126
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to love0126

Timken front wheel bearings

I'm doing some preliminary shopping in case my truck decides to cough up a front wheel bearing. I've been reading some horror stories about the front wheel bearings lasting as long as a nerd with a vegas call girl. With this in mind, I've done some preliminary research on autozone and found that the stock replacement front wheel bearing on my 2500 HD 4x4 D/A is Timken p/n SP580304 which costs $232.00. The 3500 4x4 D/A uses Timken p/n SP580311 and costs only $192.99. Does anyone know if the 3500 bearing will fit in the 2500's spot? I was unable to find the specifications for either bearing. I don't run big tires or rims, but I do haul some heavy fifth wheels that give my truck quite the workout. I've read numerous threads on here but I haven't found anything that specifically shows a superior aftermarket alternative. So if anyone has any ideas about a superior aftermarket alternative, do let me know. I've got the stock ones on right now at 144,000 and they seemed fine as of last tire rotation 5k ago. I'm just planning for the inevitable.

2005 Escalade ESV AWD, 6.0L. Stock.

2008 PJ 22' Flatbed with tandem 7k axles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Muddawgchuck
Diesel Technician

Lone Star Diesels Member

Kinda curious myself

08 CCLB 4wd LT
Bone stock for now

BrotherHood of Handshakers #171
Swapped the LLY handshaker for an 08 LMM
NRA Life member

05 Mahindra 6500 4wd
01 JCB 214 rubber tire
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mike_S
Diesel Master

Idaho Turbo Diesels Member

You can prolong the life of the bearings by removing the ABS wheel speed sensor and using a grease needle to pump some grease into the unit-bearing. Not so much as to cause the seals to push out, but enough to replace the grease that escapes over the course of several thousand miles. I do mine about every 15K.

The General:
1994 EXT Cab, SB, 1500 HD, 350 SBC, Whole Buncha $hit And Its Still Not Fast. Hmmm...Maybe Its Cause Its As Tall As A House...

(I do all my own work...Just can't trust anyone else not to screw something up)

Good, Fast, Cheap...You Can Only Have Two!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
love0126
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
You can prolong the life of the bearings by removing the ABS wheel speed sensor and using a grease needle to pump some grease into the unit-bearing. Not so much as to cause the seals to push out, but enough to replace the grease that escapes over the course of several thousand miles. I do mine about every 15K.
Is there room to do this with the cv shaft still in place, or does the cv shaft have to be removed during this procedure?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mike_S
Diesel Master

Idaho Turbo Diesels Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love0126 View Post
Is there room to do this with the cv shaft still in place, or does the cv shaft have to be removed during this procedure?
The wheel speed sensor is in the top of the bearing housing, on the inside of the knuckle. You will have to remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor, and then there is an allen socket head bolt holding the sensor in place. You may have to bend the dust shield some to get the sensor out but that is all you'll have to remove. Then just pump some grease from a grease gun and needle in through the hole while turning the hub.

To find where the wheel speed sensor is, just follow the wire that is mounted to the upper A-arm down past the upper ball joint and there you will see exactly where it is.

The General:
1994 EXT Cab, SB, 1500 HD, 350 SBC, Whole Buncha $hit And Its Still Not Fast. Hmmm...Maybe Its Cause Its As Tall As A House...

(I do all my own work...Just can't trust anyone else not to screw something up)

Good, Fast, Cheap...You Can Only Have Two!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
love0126
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
The wheel speed sensor is in the top of the bearing housing, on the inside of the knuckle. You will have to remove the wheel, brake caliper and rotor, and then there is an allen socket head bolt holding the sensor in place. You may have to bend the dust shield some to get the sensor out but that is all you'll have to remove. Then just pump some grease from a grease gun and needle in through the hole while turning the hub.

To find where the wheel speed sensor is, just follow the wire that is mounted to the upper A-arm down past the upper ball joint and there you will see exactly where it is.
That sounds like a good weekend project. I'll probably check the condition of the pins on my calipers while I'm at it.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
woodchuck2
Diesel Master

Personally i had great experience with this vendor and i believe if you read through you will find your answer too. https://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main...uhsep62ecodgr3
06 LBZ ECSB, 285 BFG All Terrains, 4" Flowmaster cat-removed, modified air-box with stock filter, Predator on 120hp tune, Kennedy tie rod sleeves, bedliner, window visors, 8' Fischer plow, 8' home made back plow with down pressure, tinted windows and Prodigy brake controller.

Sold, 06 LBZ RCLB, 285 Cooper Discoverer ST's, 8' Fisher plow, Line-X liner. Truck will be missed!

2002 GMC Sierra RCLB 1500 4X4 SLE, 7 1/2' Fisher plow. Replaced the 06 LBZ RCLB.

1965 Buick Skylark 2door post, 401ci, TH400, 10bolt posi
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
BHoward6.6
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to BHoward6.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
Personally i had great experience with this vendor and i believe if you read through you will find your answer too. https://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main...uhsep62ecodgr3
Compound Turbos 483 double batmo over GT4094VA Stage 2

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Boomer5
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward6.6 View Post
X2!!!!
B&W Gooseneck hitch
16" MKW M56 Wheels
285/75/16E BFG All Terrains
Autometer Cobalt Pyrometer/Boost gauges
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Master

Turns out my 2002 4X4 Excursion PSD has the same setup as our trucks. Just greased them yesterday as per Mike_L's method with 138K on the original bearings. I'm good to go.
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness and fuel pump with harness, HIR lowbeams, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, Horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265, injector #8 replaced at 136,078 and again all 8 at 168,368.
VW '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio DLC520 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning.
VW '01 NB TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio PP764 nozzles, Malone stage 2 tuning. Driving made fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.