squeaking/rubbing sound from rear wheel?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
IMP23X
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

squeaking/rubbing sound from rear wheel??

i have just noticed that my 2005 LLY is making a squeakinng/rubbing sound from the driver side rear wheel...at first i thought it was the front wheel but it is the back wheel i am pretty sure after hangin my head out the window listening...i can only hear it driving through town coming to a stop at a stop sign or stop light and then when i take off from that stop sign or stop light from about 0-10 mph, then it goes away...it is pretty noticeable noise, if you were walking down the sidewalk it would get your attention to take a look probably...i have heard of problems with the rear brakes on duramaxes...do you think somethin is wrong with the brakes? i am goin to get it checked out this weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
JC1843
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JC1843

Disk brakes have a "Squealer" sensor attached to the pads. When the pads are worn down, the squealer contacts the rotor, and makes a high pitch squeal. It is possible that is what you are hearing-- you may need new brake pads.
2004.5 LLY - EC-LB- LT - 64 gallon Aero tank, CAI, de-badged, fender vents, MikeL-6 spd-Transgo, tow mirrors, gauges- Putnam XDR, shell, BU camera, Cabin Filters, GPS, Bluetooth, Sirius, PPE, LBZ-MP, studs, Head gaskets
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Could also possibly be a carrier bearing or a U-joint. If it turns out that your brakes are good, those are the next things to check IMHO...

Moved to Drivetrain...

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, Monster Diesel, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Interceptor Bug Deflector, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Merchant Automotive Pump Rub Kit, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous

Last edited by Randy_the_Hack; 01-21-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
IMP23X
Diesel Fanatic

ok thanks guys, i will check both of those out this weekend
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
IMP23X
Diesel Fanatic

i just came back from takin it for a spin and it does it up to 15 mph now then seems like it just quits squeaking...doesnt matter if the brakes are being applied or not...it is almost embarrassing that is how loud it is, i can hear it over the engine/exhaust at 1800 rpm with the radio off, have to find out what it is tomorrow when i get back home...hopefully it makes it 100 more miles
Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
max 02
Diesel Technician

Don`t worry to much, just take your back wheel off, take a flash light and check for a small rock jamed inbetween the caliper and the roter. Then you will need to take a screwdriver or a punch and a hammer and smash the rock, squeal will be gone. This happens to me abought 3 times a year. I`f I`m wrong at least you can check the condition of your brake pads. Good luck! Have fun!!
02 cc sb 2 inch lift,half ton keys,rancho shocks,shock extensions,285 toyo m55s,predator on 65,all lights on mod.T/C pump fix, Kennedy air box mod, resonator pluged. The rest is stock.For now. www.performancetruckproducts.com www.alligaterperformance.com
Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
IMP23X
Diesel Fanatic

dang, you are good!! you knew exactly the sound i was talkin about.....got back home this afternoon and my dad (service manager at gm shop) took it in....sure enough, told me there was a big mag rock stuck between everything and was already ground down almost all the way, figured it prob would have ground down all the way pretty soon...but it needed a new brake pad...also needed a new cv shaft and the rubber boot got cut open and had water slinging up in there....still pump rub free though
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
max 02
Diesel Technician

Right on man. My tc wasn`t rubbed through,just thought I should take it out and fix it before there was a broblem. Sure as sh*t it was starting to rub through. Fixed with a plate 50 bucks all good now. That was at 180thousand klms. Just something to think about. Have fun!!
02 cc sb 2 inch lift,half ton keys,rancho shocks,shock extensions,285 toyo m55s,predator on 65,all lights on mod.T/C pump fix, Kennedy air box mod, resonator pluged. The rest is stock.For now. www.performancetruckproducts.com www.alligaterperformance.com
Old 01-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
kcb37
Diesel Master

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

You may want to be careful of stuff like that. In this case it was not serious.
However I had a similar issue. Out of the blue one day my 96 started to squeal bad. If I was light on the gas it went away at speed. Since I was in the area my dad was working I stopped by. Had him drive around the block while I rode in the bed so I could listen for where it was. (wanted an idea of where to look before taking anything apart) It was in the rear somewhere. Couldn't hear it anymore over one side then the other, but hear it well thru the cab and box. Figured a U-joint. So I took them apart and put new in. Did all 3, turns out it was only one cap though. At any rate it had one cap with no grease whatsever and all the needle bearings were broke in half. Also had the same on an 83 GMC no noise just changed them cause they were 18 years old.
This morning I took the smog pump off of my Camaro. (would have put on new, but the kid I bought it from took off all of the air system except this) It wasen't squealing, but more of a tick, kinda sort of. At anyrate I did drive that for awhile cause I don't care to much about the drive train as it's all getting changed anyway. Point being took it off and put a new belt on, when I set it down on the ground there were chunks of metal falling out of it.

Depending on what your problem is, you can lock a trans/transfer, lock a rear, drop a driveshaft, have a tire fall off and hit another car or even a person, ect... Or it could happen at high speed roll your truck kill you and your family.
Not to seem worse case kinda deal, but somethings you just need to fix when it starts to go.

Oh yeah, glad to hear you got it figured out and all is well though.
2003 2500HD Silverado, ECSB, 3.73, G80, Tekonsha P3, 4" Silverline Dual Exhaust 5" Tips, Autometer Boost & Pyro Guages, Mobil 1 Delvac (TES-295), Opti Lube XPD, 2nd set injectors 109,000, 3rd set injectors 153,000, Cobra 29LTD (peaked & tuned), Wilson 5,000 mileage 172,000
1999 Tahoe, 350, 4L60E, 4x4 floor shifter, 3.42's, mileage 213,000
1996 1500 Silverado, ECSB, 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker, Lakewood Slappers, mileage 186,000
1949 F-1, Flathead 6, 4 speed

Last edited by kcb37; 01-23-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.