Rear end clunk when taking off - with a twist - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Drivetrain - 2001 - 2010
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
dwe8922
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Rear end clunk when taking off - with a twist

First off, I have an '06 2500 duramax with the Allison, and 120,000miles. I had a '99 yukon that had the infamous clunk from the yoke, and when my '06 started doing similar, I thought it couldn't be with the Allison.

Mine only happens on take off. I recently replaced the rear end oil from Napa 75-90 Valvoline synthetic. That didn't seem to change anything; only when making a tight turn on my gravel drive; it seems to bind a bit in the diff. But, on pavement, there's no sign of binding.

From searching, I assume that my problem is from the splines on the yoke needing to be lubed. Today though, I parked in a depression, w/ one wheel in soft stuff. When I went to take off, I eased on the gas, and the wheel in the mud started to spin. I backed up a bit, then forward with more gas. A metallic pinging noise came from the rear, similar to when you go from park to drive in an old car on an incline. After the noise, the rear end hooked up, and put power to the wheel on firm ground. Does this mean anything, or am I looking at the common yoke lube problem?

Thanks!
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

The rear end locked up like it is suppose to on a slippery surface. One wheel spins and then the other locks for traction. Sometimes they do make strange noises when locking. Hopefully the truck is doing what it is made to do, some owners have alot of problems with there locking rear ends. Charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 334,698 miles and counting. 10949.8 hrs.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
freyguy
Diesel Technician

Yup, I'm thinking that was just the rear end not locking in right away. It happens on mine if I start on the gas a bit quick. Sounds like you didn't nail it, but they are picky.

Lubing the splines is cheap and easy. I like to use synthetic marine propeller shaft grease. It seems to stay on the longest. And I always clean out the old grease with some brakeclean.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
dwe8922
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks guys; I'll give the lube job a try. About how long does it take to do?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
dieselsmoker14
Diesel Technician

when you changed the diff oil did you notice any metal shavings or particles in the oil or on the drain plug? mine was doing the same thing you are describing an the governor in the g80 had broken the splines off the small shaft making it lock rather weird on low traction surfaces.

SOLD
05 gmc 3500 cc dually Edge w/attitude , 5in exhaust, banks CAI, 255/85r16 front bumper by me, flatbed by me, leather and sunroof, led lights throughout. special thanks to Bryan @ATS, and Brian @ Maupins Truck Parts. Thanks to Mike L
Old 09-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
freyguy
Diesel Technician

Lubing the shaft only takes about 30min. Jack up the rear end, take off the rear u-bolt straps (12mm I think), then remove the driveshaft. Take some Braklean and clean out the inside of the slip yoke, then reapply some new grease. Use a good bit too. Then re-install making sure you put the rear back on the same way it came off. You may want to mark it before taking it off. You may have to move the rear wheels to get it to line up. Mine always moves a 1/4 turn or so.

Another note, if your parked so your rear is slightly lower, sometimes when you pull out the slip yoke, a small amount of tcase fluid might come out. Might want to put a pan there just incase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.