Diesel Place banner

Update to No Steering and No Brakes Update

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Tolliwacker 
#1 ·
I have my truck back from the dealer. The steering box was replaced. The steering is now tighter and the brakes no longer fade. I drove from the dealer to my house, approximately 25 miles without incident.

However, I am very concerned about this situation and grateful that it occured in my driveway and not on the open road somewhere. The truck had been parked in my driveway for two days without being started or moved until the time of incident. This leads me to believe that it had to occur either during shutdown or restart of the engine.

When I stated that the steering wheel would not turn and the brake peddle could not be depressed I strongly state "frozen rock solid". Absolutely no movement of either.

Gm Roadside Assistance dispatched a fully certified auto mechanic to check and deliver my truck to the dealer. He tried to turn the steering and depress the brake peddle but also to no avail. The serpentine belt was in place and both the power steering and brake fluid reservoirs were full. This hyrdaulic system was under pressure as fluid had been forced out through the power steering reservoir cap down over the chasis and onto the pavement in my driveway. After noticing the fluid, I very slowly turned the reservoir cap and pressure forced more fluid out. I opened the cap to make sure that there was fluid in the power steering pump reservoir. The brake reservoir was also full of fluid.

I want to thank all of you who replied to offer suggestions and assistance with this problem. I have contacted GM and at present await reply from their technical people. When I get their response I will post it to this thread.

Thanks to all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Please do keep us up on this one, I have never heard of that.

Sounds like a Hydraulic lock situation, but where did all the fluid come from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.