Discount Tire Policy Problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Wheels & Tires
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
VegasDMax
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Discount Tire Policy Problem

First the background:

I have 285-75-R16 tires mounted on the factory 6.5 inch wheels. I bought these at Discount a little over 18 months years ago. Now, I've identified one of the tires with some kind of balance problem. It balances okay on their machine, but on the truck, it produces a come & go vibration that sometimes is pretty severe. On a recent trip to Cedar City, the truck was smooth on the way up, but on the way back I stopped 3 times to look at the tires because of the severe vibrations. I identified the bad tire by swapping the spare around until the vibration stopped. This tire has nothing visibly wrong, it's not perfectly round, but it's very close to perfect.

Anyway, long story short, I just want to buy a new tire of the same type to replace it. Now Discount tells me they can no longer mount a new tire of that size on that rim, as it's a safety issue. The tech told me this is a company policy, not a federal law or anything. Does anyone know a tire shop in Vegas that will mount the tire for me?

I have no real quarrel with Discount, they can make any company policy they want. But I've had two of these trucks with the PYO wheels, and on each truck I've had the 285 tires. I've lost count, but I think I've had 6 sets all together. I've never had any kind of problem related to the wheel size. If it's truly a safety issue, somebody show me the accident report where the fault was placed on the 285 tire/6.5 inch rim.

I would just like to solve my balance problem for the moment and when I need a new set of tires, I'll worry about the issue again at that time.

Thanks for any help...
2007 Sierra Classic GMC, Crew Cab, SB 2500HD SLT, Blocked and Fingered, 45 Gal. TransferFlow Tank, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's, 285/75/16 on stock wheels, B&W Turnover Ball hitch, Air Lift Air bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

We talked about mounting non-recommended sizes here. 285/75-16's on my Burb
Still looking for "proof".

Find someone else with a "road force balancer" in your area.
try here http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
VegasDMax
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
We talked about mounting non-recommended sizes here. 285/75-16's on my Burb
Still looking for "proof".
Thanks McCall, I know the issue has been discussed here before. But my favorite Discount Tire mounted those tires even after I had seen on here that company policy wouldn't allow it. I'm just trying to get a problem fixed without having to get 4 wheels or 4 new downsized tires.

Quote:
Find someone else with a "road force balancer" in your area.
try here http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
All the Discount Tire locations in Vegas are listed as having these balancers. Are you suggesting the one I'm using has something wrong with it? I even tried balancing beads in my tires and they didn't help. Discount removed the balancing beads for this one in their last balancing try.
2007 Sierra Classic GMC, Crew Cab, SB 2500HD SLT, Blocked and Fingered, 45 Gal. TransferFlow Tank, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's, 285/75/16 on stock wheels, B&W Turnover Ball hitch, Air Lift Air bags.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

If you can drive 2.5 hours with no issues, yet, turn around and drive the other way with a horrible shake, logic dictates that it MAY not be the tire. A cold tire is more apt to shake that a warm one is.

A tire balancer is only as good as A) it's calibration, and b) the technician using it (especially selecting and using the proper hub adapters). If nothing else, a road force balancer will indicate how many lbs of variation there are in that tire. I believe that anything over 20# is unacceptable, but 10# and under is preferred. Did they share how many #'s of force were still present?

Can you have it checked at another store (Discount or otherwise)? Could you not "convince" them to pursue the matter further?

Heat over time would be where the issue arises (in my mind), leading me to suspect dragging a brake or a dry U-joint, both of which can be checked with an inexpensive point and shoot laser thermometer, after taking a longer drive.
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy

Last edited by heymccall; 01-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master

I knw of a place (In Vegas) thatll mount the tire(s) not sure if they are still open nut I can give the address if youd like? When I find it I'll post it.
EFI Live, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM dually light bar, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Footwell lights, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 stock. (Work Truck)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
VegasDMax
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
If you can drive 2.5 hours with no issues, yet, turn around and drive the other way with a horrible shake, logic dictates that it MAY not be the tire. A cold tire is more apt to shake that a warm one is.
I agree with you in principal, but it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes it shakes when cold, but sometimes it takes a while. It's totally illogical. This truck is very well maintained, and your suggestion further down in your post about a dragging brake or some other heat source near the tire isn't the case. The vibration follows the tire too. It was on the front going to Cedar City, but on the back today as I drove to LA and back. It still shook at random times, although you can't feel it as much on the rear, you can tell it's back there instead of the front now. I've spent a lot of time isolating to this tire, and though it will cost me money, to me the next logical step is to replace it and see what happens.

Quote:
A tire balancer is only as good as A) it's calibration, and b) the technician using it (especially selecting and using the proper hub adapters). If nothing else, a road force balancer will indicate how many lbs of variation there are in that tire. I believe that anything over 20# is unacceptable, but 10# and under is preferred. Did they share how many #'s of force were still present?
Good thoughts - no they haven't shared any of that info with me. I assume those force figures are before balancing? Seems strange you could take away 10# of force with a couple ounces of weight.

Dmax 5th Wheel - If you post the address, I'll check them out.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDMax View Post
Good thoughts - no they haven't shared any of that info with me. I assume those force figures are before balancing? Seems strange you could take away 10# of force with a couple ounces of weight.
Bottom paragraphs here http://www.gsp9700.com/technical/4202T/5THEO004.htm

RFM limits
http://www.gsp9700.com/technical/limits.htm
Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

FWIW they will not road force a tire unless you asked them too, and it generally cost a few bucks more to do this....
Hammer 4 Train Horns and Conductors Special at 150psi ; Westin Nurf Bars; Nicktane Fuel Filter, Scangauge II, EFI Live, Fumoto Valve
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 1400 Councours
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
If this great nation cannot summon the will, the determination and the fortitude to persevere, then we shall forever be damned by the heroic dead who gave their last full measure of devotion; by all those who served & sacrificed in this noble cause.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Franka548
Diesel Technician

VegasDmax,
Make sure to check the wheel for cracks, it is possible that the tire is ok, and a cracked center in the wheel will give you random vibrations depending on its loading, including side loads.
Frank
03 3500 CCLB dually 2wd, Grizzley locker, Dr. Performance predator, PPE boost valve, Holley lift pump with NAPA 2micron filter, BD exhaust manifold (coming soon), K&N intake, Bully Dog 4" exhaust, Eagle Aluminum Wheels, BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's 215/85R16 LRE, AirLift Road Tamer full air ride on rear, Bilstein HD shocks, Stomburg-Carlson flowthru tailgate, Autometer EGT and Boost on pillar, RDS 60 gal auxilary fuel tank w/toolbox, Line-X spray in bed liner, Black Powdercoated diamond plate running boards and rear flaps, Reese 22k fifth wheel hitch
07 Alfa Gold 30' fifth wheel
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
VegasDMax
Diesel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
VegasDmax,
Make sure to check the wheel for cracks, it is possible that the tire is ok, and a cracked center in the wheel will give you random vibrations depending on its loading, including side loads.
Frank
It's been in the back of my mind that it could be the wheel. They dismounted the tire to take my balancing beads out, you would think they would have checked the wheel. Wouldn't it lose air through most any crack? It doesn't. If it is the wheel, I might as well buy wider ones and avoid the width/policy problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.