8x6.5 vs. 8x210mm Drill out??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Speciality Forums > Wheels & Tires
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
K2Transport
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to K2Transport

8x6.5 vs. 8x210mm Drill out???

Hey guys. We just purchased somes rims and tires and to our amazement, we purchased the 8x6.5 wheels instead of the appropriate 8x210 that came on the truck. The local chevy dealer told me that all we need to do is slightly drill out the pattern just a hair on the rim and that will be fine. Is this correct? Anyone else run into this?
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW. Completely blacked out bowtie and taillights. Navi, HID lights, DPF and Muffler delete, H&S Mini Max tuner, FASS, AFE cold air intake. Full 5" MBRP black exhaust from header (what is a CAT?) 4"-6" Cognito Lift set at 6". Sulastic shackles. Deleted sway bar. Custom HMMWV 24bolt offset wheels machined for 8x210 bolt pattern with 37" BFG Baja's Load range E

Last edited by K2Transport; 12-05-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spell check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
gralewaj
Diesel Technician

8x6.5 is not even close to 8x210... 6.5" is 165.1mm. DO NOT DRILL OUT THOSE WHEELS. your dealer is an idiot
ATP EFI Live DSP5 tuning, Kennedy Single Lift Pump, Trans Go Jr, SC Trans brace, MA pump rub kit, DE downpipe, MBRP 4" Turbo-back exhaust, Bilstein 5100s F/R, Sulastics, Cognito Gear- Leveled UCAs, HD tie-rods, pitman/idler supports, sway-bar end links. DiPricol Boost & EGT gauges, FS 2500, Nicktane 2x, Coolant Filter, AMP Power Steps, Curt 15702, Prodigy Brake Controller, 265/70R17E Nitto Dura Grapplers on Dodge 17x8 Wheels

Mods: Seat belt chime disable, PCV re-route, Cabin Air Filter, DRLs to Parking light, Kennedy headlight booster harness, resonator plugged, Cab lights, footwell lighting, Plasti-Dipped B pillar
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

Your dealer is an idiot. Even if it was only a mm, do you really think you can pick up a hand drill and insure everything is true?

2008 Chevy Crew Cab LT2 2500HD
Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Extang solid fold tonneau cover
1800W Xantrex Prosine Inverter & third battery
Lovin my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires
RAP (Retained Accesory Power) How-To
RetroSolutions Super Bright Reverse Bulbs
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Just get a rat tail file and have at it...

You'll have bigger arms when you are done too... Win/Win
H&S Mini Maxx on Tow, Flo-Pro 4" Stainless w/ 51" Donaldson Muffler, Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard, Magnum Low-Pro Headache Rack, Viair On-Board Air System, Big Rig Horn, B&W Turnover Ball Hitch, B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch, McGaughy's 1" Drop Shackles, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, Cognito Front-Stabilizer Links, Cobra Nightwatch CB with co-phase 4' Firestiks, 19.5" Machined Vision Hauler 181 Dually Wheels with 225/70R19.5 14 Ply Cooper Roadmaster RM253 tires.

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
K2Transport
Diesel Head

Yes I confirmed that the service writer at the dealer is an idiot. Man oh Man the people they employ! I called stockton wheel and they said this has been brought up before for running military wheels. He was wanting me to call him back in an hour or two so there wheel people can loo at the rim and see if we can fill in the original holes and then add a plate then drill the correct pattern. We will see.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW. Completely blacked out bowtie and taillights. Navi, HID lights, DPF and Muffler delete, H&S Mini Max tuner, FASS, AFE cold air intake. Full 5" MBRP black exhaust from header (what is a CAT?) 4"-6" Cognito Lift set at 6". Sulastic shackles. Deleted sway bar. Custom HMMWV 24bolt offset wheels machined for 8x210 bolt pattern with 37" BFG Baja's Load range E

Last edited by K2Transport; 12-05-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

You know the hubs on the new trucks are different too.

Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
K2Transport
Diesel Head

Found that out as well. I guess in 2011 you had the option to stay with the 8x6.5 or upgrade to the 8x210.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
diesail
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Transport View Post
Found that out as well. I guess in 2011 you had the option to stay with the 8x6.5 or upgrade to the 8x210.
My understanding is it all changed with the LML/2011 model year. Up to 2010 they were the 8x6.5

Summit White

Line-X over the rail
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesail View Post
My understanding is it all changed with the LML/2011 model year. Up to 2010 they were the 8x6.5
Yep, the larger bolt pattern allowed them to eek out some higher towing capacities.

8x180 on SRW's and 8x210 for DRW's.

The hubs are bigger too. If the wheels were lug centric, with a big opening to accomodate a variety of hubs as many aftermarket wheels are, you might be able to get them on there, but otherwise they would need to bore out the center hole as well...

Might it be less expensive and safer to operate if you just returned them and ordered something that fits?
H&S Mini Maxx on Tow, Flo-Pro 4" Stainless w/ 51" Donaldson Muffler, Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard, Magnum Low-Pro Headache Rack, Viair On-Board Air System, Big Rig Horn, B&W Turnover Ball Hitch, B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch, McGaughy's 1" Drop Shackles, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, Cognito Front-Stabilizer Links, Cobra Nightwatch CB with co-phase 4' Firestiks, 19.5" Machined Vision Hauler 181 Dually Wheels with 225/70R19.5 14 Ply Cooper Roadmaster RM253 tires.

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW

Last edited by garrett41; 12-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
K2Transport
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett41 View Post
Yep, the larger bolt pattern allowed them to eek out some higher towing capacities.

8x180 on SRW's and 8x210 for DRW's.

The hubs are bigger too. If the wheels were lug centric, with a big opening to accomodate a variety of hubs as many aftermarket wheels are, you might be able to get them on there, but otherwise they would need to bore out the center hole as well...

Might it be less expensive and safer to operate if you just returned them and ordered something that fits?

Hahaha. Then there is no fun running the 2-piece HMMWV wheels with the goodyear tires that are 37"x12.5"!!!

We already measured and will shave a little bit of the caliper on the lower rear portion on all 4 calipers to accommodate the 16.5" wheel. We currently have a 17" rim so that is spaced out to a 1/4" difference in the back. We already have a gap between the caliper and wheel now of about 3/8" inch. We will ultimately be shaving about a 3 inch section of about a 1/16" off the caliper to make the wheel fit.

Now here is the other kicker that I love. I am having my machine shop make an 8x210 to an 8x6.5 reducer adapter so I can run these wheels. We are in the design stage this afternoon and will determine if we are going to use the 6061 or some form of carbon steel.

Last edited by K2Transport; 12-06-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spell check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.