New / Used 2016 -- negotiating - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > The Information Place > Buying or Selling a Truck Questions
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Chat Room

Buying or Selling a Truck Questions No Ads If you're looking to buy a new truck (new to you, or brand new) or selling a truck, come on in and post your questions here...

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
jhix
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

New / Used 2016 -- negotiating

Hi. Possibly interested in a new (never titled) 2016 Sierra 2500HD Duramax. SLT. Basically loaded. Stone Blue Metallic

It's got 2300 miles on it. Dealer claims it's not a demo and of course it's not used... to them.

I'm just interested in possibly getting the best deal. Present haggle offer is $58,670.00 / MSRP $66,580 Chicagoland area. Laura GMC has similar zero mileage for online advertised of $56,960 / MSRP $67,490

They are also offering me $37500 on my trade. 58,600 miles 2013 Sierra 2500HD Duramax SLT Graphite Blue -- original MSRP of $62000..

I'm thinking that they need to at minimum come down $2K on price of 2016 (closer to Laura) and up $2K on trade -- or whatever they need to do to make up a $4K difference. It looks like similar 2013 trucks are selling (marked at ) about $45K around here on dealer lots. Can't see how they could not make money on the trade.

>>Or am I being too kind... ?? Not really sure how much leverage I've got considering the truck I'm interested in is essentially a demo. There seems to be A LOT of 2016 trucks in available inventory, not many used Duramax's on any lots and 2017s on their way in...

It's also end of month and current dealer incentives expire on the 29th. Not sure what the new plan for them will be. At a buyer level, don't see why it would get any worse for me to wait.

Thoughts / Experiences???

Last edited by jhix; 09-28-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
davester
Diesel Champ

First, never let them mix up the trade in with the purchase. If anything, make them think you are considering selling it yourself, you'll get more money and it hurts their used-truck sales.
Second, 2300 miles, instead of shipping it via train and/or truck, they must have decided to drive it to Florida, then noticed that Chicago isn't there. It's not a demo, it's a loaner. If it's not a demo, what's the dealers excuse for the miles? They accidentally jacked up the rear end, started it and left it in gear for a couple of weeks?

Whee! Dually Club Member #1109

Last edited by davester; 09-28-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
jhix
Diesel Student

Yep. I'm with ya. Great points.

I've got the whole deal itemized. So I'm reasonably comfortable dealing with the trade dollars. Remember their counterpunch errr... point is the tax savings associated with using trade vs. selling private party.

Carmax wholesale offer was $33K -- so I know what the local floor is. Seems consistent with the low end of online estimating guides. Can't believe anything anymore with online guides. This board has provided the best info out there that I've found.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Kingpin

that 16 should be more like $50k,its a year old and used,,id wait for the 17 trucks in a month
Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

For reference, I ordered mine in June and it took a bit of haggling just to get it to 10% off MSRP. Initial prices from various dealers was about $2k more than what I ended up paying. I found a buyer for my 2007 and the dealer traded it through to the new owner. The Laura price is much better than mine assuming that there is nothing strange inflating the MSRP.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 700 mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Short LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg and 900 mile regen cycle with emissions parts intact

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
jhix
Diesel Student

Thanks all! Called Laura and they offered site unseen trade estimate of $35K. Truck is clean, I could probably get $42K on my own pretty readily. Not going to rush to pull any trigger. Laura did mention hundreds of 2016 2500HDs on the lot. Half of which are Diesels (150+). Said it'll "be awhile" before the 2017s come in.

Overall dealers seem to have many more Duramaxes around here than I've seen in years. Maybe a set up for a good year-end clearance event.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leje0306
Low Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax3500 View Post
that 16 should be more like $50k,its a year old and used,,id wait for the 17 trucks in a month
And where did you get this number? My 15 with 31k miles and an original $66k MSRP is worth 52 on trade, per kbb.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Kingpin

go,look at ''laura gmc'',you can buy a ''NEW'' 2016 that lists for $66k-for $55k,and im sure there are dealers in the u.s.a. that will beat that,

so why would I buy your 2 year old truck with 30k+ miles on it for $54k[the dealer needs to make a profit too],,

I can go to GMAC/BANK/CREDIT UNION and get financing on a new truck quicker then your used truck,and I get a full warranty-yours is almost up
Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tjmonsen5
Gear Grinder

I shopped at 7 illinois dealerships before making the drive to laura and buying. Nobody will touch Laura's price. Trust me, I tried. It's only 4-5 hour drive from the suburbs. Go down there and get it over with. I didn't have a trade in, but there was no haggling. They are the cheapest in the country so you have nothing to try to beat. The price listed on the website is the price, end of story. (Plus tax and small doc fee). You may be able to haggle on trade value, I'm not sure. My truck msrp for 64 and I bought it for $52199 plus tax, it may have been a hair cheaper for an$1500 Memorial Day bonus discount.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diaric
Administrator
Spam Assassin
R.I.P. Sam

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Moved to Buying Selling questions.

Originally Posted by 4320diesel View Post
well to make your pump retarded, you could let it hang out with me for a day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstrong View Post
Diaric wins thread derailment......
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Sierra 2500 View Post
Yeah Diaric, I gotta say, I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you an official warning on that.
6.2 FAQ's AND ANSWERS Click Here
My Restoration Thread Click Here
Alberta Coal Roller Member #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.