Cat filter adapter Install - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Vendors > Sponsor Zone > Alligator Diesel Performance
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blackcloud556
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cat filter adapter Install

Video we filmed a bit ago and just got around to editing and posting up

This pretty much shows how easy these are to install

bust out your shot glasses too.... I have a "it" word :rof
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
luckyman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

So, educate me. Don't you need the water in filter sensor?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blackcloud556
Diesel Technician

Most people will not need it. We have 6 Duramaxs here all of which have no WIF sensor and have not had a single issue in all the years we have owned them. along with hundreds if not thousands of others who have done the same.

the only time i can see water in your fuel being an issue is if you are buying fuel from a small time fuel stop which might not go through their stock of fuel very often, or has sketchy fuel quality to start with.

I always get fuel from the big places who are going through thousands of gallons a day.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

EVERY diesel should have a water trap/drain somewhere.With all the diesels I've owned in the last 38 years being in the excavating biz has had them and for good reason. Myy DIC actually did alert me twice that water was present and upon checking, there was indeed water. I'd like to switch over also to Cat filtering but can't get past what I know is fact.
2006 3500 Silverado,SRW,EXT.DM,ALLY,WHITE,4x4,PPE on level 2,Speed bleeders on calipers,lubed by Schaeffer,Schaefer Diesel Treat,Astrostart remote starter,Airdog FP-100 lift pump,Air Ride front bumpers and rear bags,and seriously overweight red thing in front that pushes rice burners and sometimes snow out of the way

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blackcloud556
Diesel Technician

Where were you getting fuel at tuney? Not trying to defend anything one way or the other.. just trying to get a basis put together of instances where people have gotten water in their fuel. every time ive heard of it happening.. its been tiny fuel pumps, or guys running farm fuel from their own tanks, but if its happening elsewhere id be curious to know
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
luckyman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Thanks for the responses. I don't know enough to debate the issue, but if water in fuel isn't an issue, why do vendors sell high dollar water separator systems?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blackcloud556
Diesel Technician

It's a possibility that it can happen. I check my AirDog water separator every oil change and only fuel has come out. So I'm not too concerned about it. But then again like I said I gets fuel from the big guys.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
Where were you getting fuel at tuney? Not trying to defend anything one way or the other.. just trying to get a basis put together of instances where people have gotten water in their fuel. every time ive heard of it happening.. its been tiny fuel pumps, or guys running farm fuel from their own tanks, but if its happening elsewhere id be curious to know
I also ONLY get all my diesel for both on and off road iron from large volume stations.Diesel fuel by it's nature attracts water,it enters from suppliers tanks, overnight condensation,fueling while it's raining/snowing, dropping your cap in a puddle,etc.Show me 1 class 8 truck/tractor that did'nt have a water separator installed from the factory.
2006 3500 Silverado,SRW,EXT.DM,ALLY,WHITE,4x4,PPE on level 2,Speed bleeders on calipers,lubed by Schaeffer,Schaefer Diesel Treat,Astrostart remote starter,Airdog FP-100 lift pump,Air Ride front bumpers and rear bags,and seriously overweight red thing in front that pushes rice burners and sometimes snow out of the way

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Blackcloud556
Diesel Technician

Perfect. Thank you. The more we pool data together the more we as a community we can grow and solve problems. But. Donaldson does have a filter that crosses over to the cats which does have a water seperator. I've been trying to find a good source of them
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud556 View Post
Perfect. Thank you. The more we pool data together the more we as a community we can grow and solve problems. But. Donaldson does have a filter that crosses over to the cats which does have a water seperator. I've been trying to find a good source of them
Yup,I have one on my C7500 with a Cat 3126 placed underneath,bracketed to the frame.It's the larger micron catch can with combined bottom clear bowl water separator.Every Spring when I change out,there's always a teaspoon of dirty water in there along with some crud.Mine isn't but Donaldson also makes that identical unit with a heater.

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.