Diesel Place banner

Thoughts on the new 2.8 Duramax?

40K views 90 replies 27 participants last post by  willydmax 
#1 ·
GM announced the 2.8L for the Colorado/Canyon a few weeks ago, rated at 181 hp, 369 ft-lb and it will have an exhaust brake. The fuel economy ratings won't be out for a while, but it will have the six speed auto.

I am glad to see someone finally put a modern diesel in a mid-size truck. I am a bit concerned with the power output though.
The power rating is a bit low compared to other 2.8L diesels that have been shown. Nissan has shown a Frontier with a 2.8L Cummins rated at 210 hp, but with an equal torque rating. The latest VM 2.8 is rated at about 200 hp. GM should have cranked it up a bit more and hopefully that will happen soon.

It will be interesting to see the fuel economy rating. Comparing the gasoline versions, the Ram 3.6/8spd is 16/23, 3.0 diesel is 19/27, and the Colorado is 17/24. The fuel economy for the 2.8 Duramax will be higher than the Ram 3.0L, but I don't expect it to be rated in the mid 30s.

Duramax Seeks Tow-Hold Among Compact Trucks | Vehicles & Technology content from WardsAuto

With that said, the new Colorado is impressive and adding a diesel will be sweet. Hopefully we will be able to take care of the power via EFI Live.

See less See more
#54 ·
I saw two at the Texas State Fair back in October. Had a picture of the engine bay but must have deleted it. It was a nice looking package, but I couldn't find anyone that would start it...static model only.

Let us know what you think if you get to test drive!

#55 ·
The new 2.8L Duramax diesel has a belt and not a chain!!

I've been waiting for this truck to come out for over 2 years now. First saw it at the L.A. auto show in 2014 only to discover GM (in their infinite wisdom) put a timing "Belt" in and not a chain. Their claim is the belt "should" last between 60,000 and 100,000. I do believe that chains last longer. I do not understand the logic. One of the reasons we buy diesels is for longevity. A timing belt does not fit that mold. So I have decided to wait some more to see how that "Belt" works for GM. Maybe a workaround might be that they will replace the belt at 60,000 miles for free?? ;-)

#59 ·
Looks great....Love the plate!

Reactions: Dmax Fan
#61 ·
To McDuff and saxman, what tires did you get on your truck? Ordering one now and can't decide what to choose.

To linuxman, winter diesel doesn't give you the best mileage, so probably need to wait for spring,summer to know.

#64 ·
I am thinking some of that might be tire pressure. When it got cold my tires were in the low 30's psi and I got about 25 mpg. When it warmed up the inflation increased to mid 30's and the mpg jumped to about 27 mpg. There may be more to it than that but inflation should account for some of the change.

#67 ·
Well, I ordered mine last Monday. Dealer said it would come in 6 to 7 weeks.

Curious as to what rpms are you guys turning at highway speeds, like 65 to 70 mph?

I got the 3.42 rear end in mine.

#70 ·
I'm thinking this will be my next truck.

#74 ·
Your opinion is so noted, but apparently not in the majority, unless GM's marketing is wrong, which is doubtful considering the vehicle has been available in other countries and is selling well. You same opinion could be made of someone buying a 1/2 ton truck vs a 3/4, and again for someone buying a 3/4 vs a 1 ton. Some folks just don't need the extra size and capacity. I used S10's for years as work trucks and loved them. I can see a lot of people going for a smaller truck that fits into parking spots a lot easier and get over 30 mpg on the highway, especially if resale value gives a return on the initial extra cost.

Reactions: dieselmanalways
#77 ·
You can't please all the people all of the time but I think that the Col/Can is a good idea.

I've had four Chev/GMC 2500's since the early 90's. That size is what I needed to haul stuff - both in the bed and in trailers. Times and my needs have changed. I still need to haul tools, but less of them. I still tow trailers, but smaller loads. And maybe it's just because I'm getting older and turning into a crotchety old fart but I'm getting damn tired of looking for two empty parking spaces next to each other and then backing and filling just so I can park straight.

So the Col/Can twins are on my radar for the next truck.

I don't buy trucks for fuel economy, I buy them to do the job I need them to do. But if I have the choice between a truck that does the job at 14 mpg and another that does it just as well at 24 mpg I'd be a fool to not consider the smaller option.

In the choice between a 2.8 diesel at $42,000 and a 6.6 diesel that's at least $20K more than that the decision becomes even clearer. I love my 2500 and I love the 6.6 but I believe it's the first and last big diesel that I will own. Where the decision gets tougher is in comparing money and performance of the Col/Can diesel to a 5.3L half-ton - even harder when you consider the high odds of some serious rebates for the half-tons that are almost always available. I'd really prefer a diesel so I'm still leaning towards the smaller truck but I will not seriously consider buying one until the new wears off and you can actually make some deals on the 2.8.

In my opinion: The best overall would be a half ton with a 3.5 diesel in it. But I suspect that the price point would drive it too close the price of a 2500 with a 6.6, making it a 'why bother' size of truck.

#78 ·
You can get a crew cab 4wd Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 for less than a crew cab 4wd Colorado with the 2.8. Two trucks spec'd out with leather and 4wd go for $39,802 and $41,300 respectively on Autotrader here locally. The Silverado will tow over 10k lbs and the Colorado 7700. Fuel mileage highway is 23 and 30. It is ridiculous that a midsize truck is more expensive than full-size one. I was all on board with the Diesel Colorado until pricing hit.

#81 ·
I drove the diesel today and I loved it!! It shifts way better than my 2015 Colorado with the V6 and I thought the acceleration was smoother , shifts were quick and sharp. I asked my dealer to price a diesel out for me as I am thinking of trading in the gasser for the diesel.

#82 ·
That's good to know!

Thanks for posting!

#83 ·
Well, picked mine up on Mar 31st and so far, I do like it. Took it on a trip to Kansas City, first tank was 23mph. Now showing around 32mph on last (Have about 1400mi on it). This was mostly highway driving between 65 to 78 mph average. Rides well, and handles good in the wind.

I have a few questions though.

The oil required is 5w-30 , dexoso2, instead of the API CJ-4 spec that my 6.6 uses. Anyone know what would be good to use since I haven't heard of the dexoso2 spec?

First time that I have never had a dipstick to check the transmission fluid, so I was wondering about this as well? Just different I suppose.

I assume this has a regen cycle to burn off the diesel particular filter. Anyone know when this will kick in on this truck(approx mileage)?

#85 · (Edited)
First time that I have never had a dipstick to check the transmission fluid, so I was wondering about this as well? Just different I suppose.
Every automatic transmission I've ever had since I got my license (1966) had a dipstick to check the oil level. Maybe GM figures it gets over looked by so many people, they went electronic instead? As suggested, the manual should say something about it. :think:

#86 ·
I test drove a GMC with the 2.8 Diesel a couple weeks ago. I appreciate all the positive notes I see here but my experience was a bit different. I didn't think it was nearly as smooth as I expected. I have an LMM and a Cruze Diesel and they both drive incredibly smooth. Also, I drove the gasser right after the Diesel Canyon and thought it was a bit smoother and more refined as far as running and ride. Just my opinion. I plan to check them out again next year or the year after when I'm in the market.

#87 ·
The owners manual on the transmission says to check the service manual on how to check for fluid level. I think on the Helm website, these will be available in May, and I do plan on getting them.

On the other things (regen cycle, oil) the owners manual for the diesel talks about a Van, the 6.6L, and the 2.8L, so sometimes it is hard to know which one is being discussed. For example on the regen cycle it says that it will go into this once per tankful. That didn't happen with me, so I figured they were talking about the 6.6L.

On the oil, I reckon I can start searching on the internet. Just figured if anyone had already gone though it they could point me in the right direction.

As far as the ride goes, I have the LT package and didn't get the Z71 package. I thought the suspension was pretty tight as it was on the LT and figured that the Z71 package would be harsher yet.

#88 · (Edited)
Well, after a quick search on the web, found the AC delco oil that is recommended on ebay for ~ $24 a quart (takes 6 quart) so around $144 for an oil change. Amazon had it for $12 per quart, so a little better.

I reckon I will keep looking. Can't understand why they didn't keep the API CJ-4 standard for this engine.

#89 ·
The DEXOS 2 oil was hard to find for my Cruze. Best deals I found were on Amazon so I got a few changes worth for when my Cruze is out of the "free service" window.

As far as the transmission, it may be like my '08 Cadillac SRX that didn't require service until 100K miles and didn't have a dipstick. There was a procedure for service in the Service Manual from Helm Inc.

#90 · (Edited)
The oil required is 5w-30 , dexoso2, instead of the API CJ-4 spec that my 6.6 uses. Anyone know what would be good to use since I haven't heard of the dexoso2 spec?

Note that new oils are coming for the 2017 Model year CJ-4 will become CK-4 for anything before the 2017 model year.

For 2017 and later it will be PC-11 oil. All oils for Diesels will be thinner.

https://mobildelvac.com/en/article/...what-is-pc-11-oil?WT.ac=Home-JT_whatispc11oil

The Drive for Greater Fuel Efficiency in Engine Lubes : Chevron Lube Matters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.