Fuel System Issues (lb7 w/98K original miles) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
dfresh
Low Boost

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fuel System Issues (lb7 w/98K original miles)

I have a few questions regarding some issues I'm having with my 2003 Silverado (lb7) and I would really appreciate any advice or feedback you might have.
First, a little background. On several brief occasions I noticed a temporary loss of power or acceleration as I was going up freeway on-ramps. Several days later my truck completely died as I was driving it down a side road so I had it towed to the closest shop.

After they tore everything apart they told me it was the fuel pressure regulator so I paid to have it replaced along with a new fuel filter. When I picked it up they said it was still experiencing some problems and they thought it was the fuel rail pressure sensor. At that point I didn't trust them, the truck was barely running, and I wanted to get a 2nd opinion at the dealership.

At the dealership they thought there could be engine damage but ran compression tests and everything was good. I also asked them to check everything with the fuel system including what the previous shop did and they are now telling me my fuel injector pump is bad and needs to be replaced.

1) They want to charge me around $1600 for the pump/thermostats and around $900 for 6.5 hours of labor. From what I've seen online I can get a pump myself for $500-$800 dollars. Is this accurate and should I just try to do the work myself? My truck is a recreational vehicle so time isn't a constraint.

2) When they asked for authorization to do the diagnosis I told them I wanted everything looked at to include the fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and my fuel injectors. I have a feeling they didn't and I would like to know if those parts can be tested independently, or would the fuel injector pump have to be fixed first before you can troubleshoot other components. I paid for a full diagnosis so I would like to have everything checked if possible before I possibly dive into it myself.

Again, I appreciate any advice provided, thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
G2GBY
Diesel Boss

First Welcome To DP
What year truck?
Any Mods? All stock?
Any codes?
Color of exhaust and when?
Did they give you a printout of your Injector balance rates? That would help us.

Go down to (2001-2007 6.6 L Duramax)
Some of the tests your dearer or shop should of performed.
High Pressure Injection Pump (CP3 Pump)
Fuel Supply and Fuel Filter Housing
Injectors
No Start or Hard Start
https://oregonfuelinjection.com/serv...l-diagnostics/

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-...nce-rates.html

Your Pump is expensive.
GM Part :97720662 PUMP, Fuel Injector Pump, PUMP,FUEL INJECTION(INCLUDES 3,4,7,8)(REMANUFACTURED-NOT FOR SALE WHERE IMPORTS ARE RESTRICTED) $1046.26

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-14902...6-437-303.html

You had a lot of questions that I did answer but you will get more responses.

Last edited by G2GBY; 10-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
MANICK
Diesel Apprentice

With that low of miles I would be surprised to see a bad pump. My head goes to most likely the filter head leaking and drawing air in causing the pump to starve, or possibly one of the rubber lines letting air into the system. Check for any cracking or fuel seeping out. If not that possibly injectors, but both are more common issues than a pump at that low of miles going out.
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
dfresh
Low Boost

Thanks for the welcome and responses and I contacted the dealership to try to get more information and will post as soon as I have it.

Its a 2003 2500HD Crew Cab Silverado, with 98K miles (my dad was the original owner) and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I live in Vegas and I did have some work done by Underground Diesel Performance around 5 years ago. They installed a DSP5 switch, new exhaust, lift pump, 2 gauges, and loaded 4 different tunes.

I never noticed any changes to my exhaust color. As I said it just limped a few times going up a grade and then died a few days later as I was driving it.

After the first shop supposedly changed my FPR, the truck was at least running. However, when I picked it up there was a clacking noise under the hood that wasn't there previously and there were still fuel delivery issues as when I started driving it, it would get stuck at certain points i.e. 30mph and wouldn't accelerate unless I started pumping the gas pedal. It was also running very rough on idle.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Lead Moderator
Diesel Veteran

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

I would recommend a test to check rail pressure actual vs desired, if it fails, test the injector return lines for excessive fuel return. My gut says bad injectors. Also make sure there is no restriction in the fuel delivery, the fuel lines that go to the filter have been known to collapse internally and restrict flow.
2017 3500HD CCLB Black on Black LTZ Loaded L5P, Banks Derringer with I dash, Ranch Hand bumper with 18K superwinch talon, Curt 20k puck hitch, 60 gallon aluminum transfer tank with electric pump, Onan Quiet Diesel 5500 for extra weight in the bed, Cooper STT PRO 285/65R18 and Vision Manic wheels. 2nd set of tires and wheels, Cepek Trail Country EXP 285/65R18 on Ultra Predator II Black/Machined 18x9

2018 Solitude 310GK fifth wheel with a 12' Haulmark tag trailer to haul toys in.

1997 Jeep TJ, Currie 8.8 high pinion axles front and rear with ARB air lockers, 4.56, 5 on 5.5 with warn hub kit, Atlas II transfer case with Klune V doubler, 4 inch Currie Lift and 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on 15x10 Mickey Thompson wheels, Ramsey 9500 winch, hydraulic ram assist steering, on board welder and on board air, custom aluminum fuel tank.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
kappelmd
Glow Plug

Have you checked your oil level to see if it is over full? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I got some bad diesel that had water in it that plugged the fuel filter that was only 1month old. Let us know what the problem was when you discover it.

I replaced all of my rubber fuel lines last year on my 2002. I was surprised at how dried out and cracked they were, but none were leaking.
Rare Parts Xtreme Tie Rods
Cognito PISK & Super Steer 175 Idler Assembly
Bilstein Heavy-Duty Performance Steering Damper 33-174525
Curt Class III Front Hitch 31108
Hellwig Front HW7654 & Rear HW7269 Sway Bars
B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch
Old 10-14-2017, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rambos_Ride
Diesel Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Thanks for the welcome and responses and I contacted the dealership to try to get more information and will post as soon as I have it.

Its a 2003 2500HD Crew Cab Silverado, with 98K miles (my dad was the original owner) and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I live in Vegas and I did have some work done by Underground Diesel Performance around 5 years ago. They installed a DSP5 switch, new exhaust, lift pump, 2 gauges, and loaded 4 different tunes.

I never noticed any changes to my exhaust color. As I said it just limped a few times going up a grade and then died a few days later as I was driving it.

After the first shop supposedly changed my FPR, the truck was at least running. However, when I picked it up there was a clacking noise under the hood that wasn't there previously and there were still fuel delivery issues as when I started driving it, it would get stuck at certain points i.e. 30mph and wouldn't accelerate unless I started pumping the gas pedal. It was also running very rough on idle.
Welcome to DP.

98k on a 2003, that's like finding a unicorn! It's cool it was your dads truck too. Be patient and diligent on diagnosing the problems and if you have time and ability you'll learn a lot as you go along as well.

Someone already asked, What codes are being thrown? If the shop won't tell you and you don't have a code reader...go someplace that will tell you the codes.

If you do plan on keeping the truck and doing some of the maintenance and troubleshooting a Tech2 scanner can come in handy.

I for one would want to know balance rates on those injectors, Too bad it's way too late for the GM extended warranty on the injectors.

BTw we all would love to see some picks of that low miler truck!

1998 K3500 CrewCab 4x4 DRW Turbo Diesel SOLD

#1162 Dually Club
Old 10-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
dfresh
Low Boost

Preliminary reports from the dealership are that I also have bad injectors. Why they didn't tell me that from the start I don't know, but hopefully I will have the printouts tomorrow.

I don't have recent pics, but here are a few and little has changed on the exterior other than my plates and rear window graphic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=8d1a552d41

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=15f7e11e53
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
MANICK
Diesel Apprentice

If it does pan out to be Injectors, here's a video to help make sense of some of the options out there.
LB7 Duramax Injector Video
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
dfresh
Low Boost

So I finally got more answers from the service department today over the phone and I tried to write everything down as they were talking. Some stuff I understood, some not so much.

They said it was throwing codes P0088, P0089, and P0193 when I dropped it off. They said I have a low side leak with some fuel in the valley and that there should be a 3-6psi on the return instead it's 22psi.
They said I had catastrophic failure on my CP3 and that the low pressure side is blown out with a piston or valve? that is internal to my pump that was laying in the valley.
Finally, they said its hard to tell if the injectors are bad until they replace the CP3 and fix the pressure problems. The balances if I heard correctly were:
C1 -5.8, C4 +6.8, C5 +10.1, C6 -6.2

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in