Diesel Place banner

Left idling while I fueled ...

3K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  blalley 
#1 ·
I just fueled up and left my truck idling ( I know shouldn't do that but its winter ) and went to drive away and , spit , sputter, cough , guess musta made air bubbles it cleared in 2 blocks. Won't do that agian.
Just wanted to share for a heads up.

#2 ·
I almost always fuel while idling and have not had a problem. I only notice fuel guage is a little slow coming up(will not read full for a few miles).

#11 ·
Same here....

#3 ·
Why would filling up while the truck is idleing make it do that. Most of the time i fill up while my truck is running and i have never had that problem.

#5 ·
I have put 87,000 miles on my 02 and have NEVER shut it off while I was fueling. My gauge is slow, but so is my buddys Powerjoke. Just my $.02:ro)

#6 ·
Ditto here never had a problem but takes my fuel gauge more than a few miles to catch up.....

#9 ·
Dont see why that would be a issue,filling up idling.I myself and every diesel i see do that.Yea guage does go to F very slow!

#10 ·
:exactly: .........always leave running too. Takes a while for gauge to come up also. Never sputters though? Quit using that damn farm fuel. :p:

#13 ·
I have always wanted to leave My truck running while fueling but the only thing that stops me is I am scared it will get stolen while I am inside paying for the fuel. Heh~Heh

#14 ·
ditto that!

#16 ·
Here in New Jersey it is the law that your vehicle must be shut off while fueling up. Signs are near ever pump. Most places don't bother you if your vehicle is running, but I have one guy that alway's ask I turn off my truck. With gas I can see the potential problem, but with diesel I don't.

#18 ·
Here in New Jersey it is the law that your vehicle must be shut off while fueling up. Signs are near every pump.
Same here, but no one has ever said anything.....

I have always wanted to leave My truck running while fueling but the only thing that stops me is I am scared it will get stolen while I am inside paying for the fuel. Heh~Heh
I use a split key ring, pop the remote off, lock and head inside. Yea, I am still vulnerable to smash and dash, but.....

Actually I am more concerned about my remote dying on me after that last lock and being stuck staring at my truck going :think:

#17 ·
I Always Leave Mine Running And Never Had A Problem Most Places Want The Vehicle Off But Diesel Will Not Ignite Like Gas So There Is Nothing To Worry About

#20 ·
Hey NJ I live in the communist state too all the diesel pumps around me are separated from the gas pumps and are under different regs as diesel has to be atomized like home heating fuel to combust and the only thing to spark a flame is static hense the tanks are far from reg gas. you must be in the northern part of NJ where diesel is hard to find. Southern NJ is easy to find as most farms are there. Only law to shut off all vehicals at stores or malls in NJ. Fumes!!

#26 ·
No, I live in the Southern Part of NJ, I agree the diesel pumps are seperate from the gas pumps and do not have the signs on them, but rather that discuss with the idiot pumping the fuel I just turn off the truck. Most of the guys pumping fuel never bother me, but once in a while a new guy will. I have 56K on my truck and have fuel up at the same station 95% of total fuel ups.

#22 ·
I just fueled up and left my truck idling ( I know shouldn't do that but its winter ) and went to drive away and , spit , sputter, cough , guess musta made air bubbles it cleared in 2 blocks. Won't do that agian.
Just wanted to share for a heads up.
How empty was the tank?

#24 ·
Well this was at a cardlock pump station and they ony have the big nozzle, not the regular gas size kickoff nozzle and not the supersize nozzle, its the one that just fits in the tank filler hole. Ok now to fill the tank i set the nozzle on low and theres a ball valve on the side of the pump that i have to set to ... ohh ... 1/16th of the way open or the nozzle keeps kicking out, you know what i mean. Now when the fuel is coming out of the nozzle you can hear it fizzing like if you punched a small hole in a pressurized beer can, i'm thinking the fuel is extremely atommized or airbubbled up as it comes out, dunno how else to explain it, and i had 1/4 or better in when i filled. Like i said it cleared in about 2 blocks of driving.
And Subman if you read this I just installed the Mac Intake i got from you and wow do i love the turbo sound and the improved air flow to the motor, mark me down as " Yes i can feel the difference from factory to Aftermarket air system " man the turbo just sings :D now i never use my xm radio cause i wanna hear the engine.

I know i'm sick , maybe one day i well get better ):h ...

#28 ·
I fueled up in Jersey and the Towel heads didn't say anything while the truck was idling. Never had any issues either while filling up other than the fuel guage is slow to register full. For the post who said he was concerned about his remote dying on him get a hide a key.;)

#29 ·
I never shut mine off....saves you starters,batteries,and so on.

Plus you might as well not shut it off when filling up because you should let it idle for at least 1min for the turbo to cool down,so might as well let it run.

Mine runs like a CAT..she's always idling when i'm not in it..even if i'm in a store for 15min..it runs

#32 ·
I jump on the wagon also....I always keep her on with the high idle when I fuel never had a problem.

The guage thing is a computer issue probably. If you turn it off and back on the guage reads full so it is not a float issue. I think?

#33 ·
I was wondering? If I fuel up while the truck is running, will my fuel gauge go back to F slowly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.