LB7: Oil leak front passenger side - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
trout_laker
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Oil leak front passenger side

To all the Guru's out there I need a little insight before I have to head to the shop. I have a small oil leak on the front passenger side starting roughly at the lowest pulley. Cannot see where it's coming from exactly and I'm wondering if there is a typical spot that sometimes leaks there or even what could be leaking oil there in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Welcome to the diesel place! Please take a moment and fill out your signature to better help us help you. Possibly post a picture of where the oil is leaking from.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
trout_laker
Diesel Head

It's really in a spot where a camera cannot reach the top of the leak. If I could see it I would ask about that particular seal or component. I can follow an oil trail up past the glow plug on the corner of the engine. Can't really see the leak from up above. Lost 1/2 of oil after 1/2 tank of fuel so its starting to leak more now than ever before. It has been present for some time but never lost even a quart over the entire oil change life.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
trout_laker
Diesel Head

Tonight I took my air filter out to get a closer look and its coming from right in behind the vacuum pump somewhere. I also have a slightly metallic or ticking sound and its not consistent. Like it cycles on and off when needed or something. Could I have a some kind of shaft seal leaking from one of the pulley's??
Old 10-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
ICDRANCH
Diesel Enthusiast

My 2003 LB7 leaks oil at same location

I am planning to tackle similar job this weekend. My 2003 leaks a few drops from the vacuum pump. Since the vacuum pump isn't connected to anything that could leak oil, it must be coming from something nearby. Any ideas are welcome!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
IsuzuDiesel
Diesel Fanatic

It might be the overdraft tube leaking blow by oil. I know mine leaks form there.
4" Exhaust Hollow Cummins Cat
Sased with an AAM 9.25 out of an 03 Cummins
King Coilovers
EFI Live
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

A picture or two might still help us see what you are seeing.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
TheBac
Diesel Laureate

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I dont think the Cali-emissions LB7s have an open PCV system, do they?

"BBT" 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4
12.14 @ 111.15

2003 Olds Aurora 4.0 -- the "new" car

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

I know just enough to be dangerous.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
trout_laker
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDRANCH View Post
I am planning to tackle similar job this weekend. My 2003 leaks a few drops from the vacuum pump. Since the vacuum pump isn't connected to anything that could leak oil, it must be coming from something nearby. Any ideas are welcome!
Did you have any conclusive findings??
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
trout_laker
Diesel Head

Whew, sorry guys I know it took me forever but I finally found the time to change my glow plug tonight and got some pictures while I was in there, hopefully this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Oil leak front passenger side-img_20131022_172427_960.jpg   Oil leak front passenger side-img_20131022_172734_463.jpg   Oil leak front passenger side-img_20131022_172757_469.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.