low fuel rail pressure - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
mwicard
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

low fuel rail pressure

I have and edge and cs monitor on the truck. One of the parameters i monitor is rail pressure. Driving this morning all was good. Rail pressure would hit 20k plus. Parked the truck for a few hours and next drive rail pressure won't get above 11k. The truck has a hard time going up a hill. No codes.

Changed the fuel filters and no improvement. Is it possible for the FPR to get stuck and limit pressure? I doubt the pump would go bad that quickly.

Injectors were done about a year ago. (thanks diesel place) All balance rates well with in spec.

Is the next step to disconnect the fpr and check rail pressure?

Last edited by mwicard; 02-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

How cold is it where you are? Are you running any additive in your fuel? You might check for restrictions in the fuel feed line or better yet, install a vacuum gauge to see if the fuel line is restricted. If it is restricted, the injection pump will pull a vacuum and let you know it is starved for fuel. If you go to Kennedy's web site (a vendor here) he shows how the gauge is used. If you are restricted, it could be due to fuel waxing, ice in the pick up of the tank or a collasped line as possible things to check. Power service 911 will help with the wax or ice.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
mwicard
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I'm near Charlotte nc. Not to cold here. I do use additives but not every tank.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
mwicard
Diesel Fanatic

Got it figured out. THought since I didn't have a check engine light I did not have any codes. CHecked them at lunch and had a p0181. Cleared it and it runs like new.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
tregtom
Diesel Enthusiast

I have a 07 classic I have a banks system installed and in the last few weeks the banks
has been giving me the "low fuel rail pressure" alarm code.
It only happens on the first start in the am.
It started when I was on a trip to MN a few weeks ago and the temp was in the teens.
But now it has happened a few times since I have been back in CA.

What should I be looking for???

Thanks
Tom
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
tregtom
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtom View Post
I have a 07 classic I have a banks system installed and in the last few weeks the banks
has been giving me the "low fuel rail pressure" alarm code.
It only happens on the first start in the am.
It started when I was on a trip to MN a few weeks ago and the temp was in the teens.
But now it has happened a few times since I have been back in CA.

What should I be looking for???

Thanks
Tom
It is not low fuel rail pressure it is

" fuel rail pressure : Output voltage out of range"
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.