Cold Weather (-10c 17f) loss of prime - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
7997redtail
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cold Weather (-10c 17f) loss of prime

There are other threads similar to this one but not in cold weather. So here it is. This happens pretty well every time I go to the cabin.

We are at Sun Peaks resort in BC with an elevation around 4000' and the temperature has been around -10c / 17f for around five days.

When itís cold like this I find that my truck will start no problem (plugged in or not) but will stop running after about 3 - 5 seconds. When I pump up the fuel filter pressure it will start again and continue to run or I may have to pump it up a second/third time. Never more than three times.

I have been afraid to run up the idle after starting (the first time) because the truck is so cold, so I don't know if doing so would keep it running.

I have done the O-ring rebuild (from a dmax vendor) thinking it might fix the problem but it hasn't. I didn't replace the two hoses that connect to it but after doing the rebuild they were properly tightened.

I also have a Racor secondary fuel filter head that I havenít done anything to (except change filters).

I have a different bleed screw in that I can turn a valve to open and close it. It has a hose that goes to the wheel well and I bought it from one of the venders here.

The truck has around 160km /100miles and has not had injectors done. I think it has to be a leakage issue and this summer Iíll have to go over it carefully. I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem similar that only happens in the cold.

Thanks in advance
Jim

BTW, it's snowing like crazy and a little warmer today. Only -8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

I would lightly pressurize the system and see if you can produce the leak.... The colder temps/elevations may be enough to cause issues sometimes, but not others...

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
7997redtail
Diesel Technician

Shrinkage factor

I had thought that things get smaller when they are cold and that could be what is happening here.

I had also thought about wiping the joins with a mixture of soap and water. Unfortunately, the water will freeze upon contact. Hummmm Maybe antifreeze and soap.

By pressurizing do you mean by using the fuel filter pump? Is there another way?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

You can either modify a cheap gas cap with an air fitting and put 5 lbs or so of air to the system, or if you have a shop vac I've heard of people reversing it and putting a rag around the neck to seal it and produce pressure. This should be enough to do it for you to "produce" a leak...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kappa9012
Diesel Master

yeah sounds like you're sucking air. filter head maybe?
relief valve shimmed
few other goodies thanks to Wehrli...
Exergy 60 overs
PPE Dual Fuelers
EFI Live Tuned by MR. ATP himself (IdahoRob)

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
letsgo
Diesel Technician

2 negatives and I have posted this before if you pressurize the tank with air you just created the perfect bomb, and at 5psi you created an internal tank surface pressure of 720 pounds per square foot, get ready to blow, sorry to be so negative, use an inert gas if you must pressurize the fuel system.
2002 duramax 4x4 extendacab, 76gal. diesel = 26gal OEM + 50gal T.F. tank in bed, Access tonno cover, 34' trailer 10,000 Lb, AT Revos. 5 Bilstines, Banks IQ Stinger Systems and EconoMind. Pressure Pro tire monitor.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
D.Camilleri
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Having a lift pump will solve 95% of lost of prime issues. Worse case scenario you might find a fuel drip somewhere.
2002 Chevy Crewcab SB, Duramax, PPE excelerator Hot +2 ET level 10 , ppe boost valve,Fleece Performance Tap Shifter,Nictane adapter with big cat filter, secondary filtration with real big cat filter Full Transgo, Alto C-2's, Yukon Grizzly locker,12K milemarker hydraulic winch and custom bumper by me, CM steel flatbed with two custom fueltanks by me, 285/75/16 Nitto Trail Grappler on 16x8 Ultra Rogue Wheels
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Technician

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

I had the same issue, check for rusty connections under the truck. mine was leaking from the connection at the fuel cooler.
2004.5 GMC 2500HD lly CC/SB SLE Silver 4x4 ||Efilive V2/DSP5 tuned by Rob Coddens at ATP, Billet Danville 4094, Exergys, Merchant Built Trans, FASS 150, CAT fuel filter, MA fh rebuild kit and billet bleeder screw, MA tie rd sleeves, Cognito braces, 5" turbo back strightpipe, LML drivers side manifold, PPE EGT, Boost, Rail pressure Guages, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, K&N intake, Afe mouthpiece, resonator capped, auto headlight mod/all on mod, 6000k HIDs lows and fogs, roll up tonneau cover, weathertech mats||
Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
7997redtail
Diesel Technician

Did you find it by looking for a fuel leak?

Did you find it by looking for a fuel leak?

I've never heard of a fuel cooler where is it located located? I'll look online.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
lynn1130
Diesel Technician

The fuel cooler is located just in front of the fuel tank. It looks like a miniature radiator.
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags.
Titan 52 gal. Fuel Tank.
Nicktane Fuel Filter System
MA Transfer Case Upgrade

Banks Brake
Kennedy Lift Pump
EFI Live Speedo/Fuel Tank Correction

2011 3010 Heartland Cyclone HD 35' Toyhauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.